advice!!

Paul Sabatino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i just got my nikon d300 body and i was wondering what type of lens i should get for nice close up portraits and full body shots.thats what i am going to be doing mostly and i am not to sure what lens is good for that seeing how i am fairly new to this.only been shooting for 6 months.it wasn't a digital slr it was just a regular point and shoot camera.so any suggestions?? of course i want a nice crisp lens that works good in low light situations.i was thinking about the nikkor 50mm f/1.4 but i don't know if it will suit my needs i heard its for closer shots.i would like to stick to nikkor lenses but if you know any other lenses that are sharp and crisp please let me know.my budget is about 470 dollars.

thanks guys and gals.

i just got my nikon d300 body and i was wondering what type of lens i should get for nice close up portraits and full body shots.

Oh god.
Now that I have that out of my system.
Sigma 105MM f/2.8 with a 50MM f/1.8 kicker.

Oh god.
Now that I have that out of my system.
Sigma 105MM f/2.8 with a 50MM f/1.8 kicker.

yeah yeah lol newb here i've been through the same stufff on a yoyo forum about a year ago.i know how to use a dslr but i am not good with lenses.

but thanks for the advice

If you want just one lens and can afford the price of admission, I would suggest a 24mm-70mm f/2.8. This will give you the perspective of a 36-105mm lens on a 35mm film camera. The 50mm f/1.8 is an inexpensive but sharp lens and always a good addition to any shooters bag. You may want to get one of these first and see how that focal length looks through your viewfinder. This will give you a base reference before shopping to another lens. You can always zoom with your feet to get a feel for it.

I need to concur here WOW!! if you have a D300 you really should already know what kind of lens to get for it. I am usually onw to defend noobs buying whatever camera they can afford but if you don't have even that basic knowledge what are you doing buying a camera like that??. What lens do you have for it now? let me guess you bought it with a 18-200 that would be just about par for the course. Basicaly though if you cought an only afford $470 for a lens you bought the wrong body. As has been said here a million times the best investment initially and long term is good glass especially if you have the kind of money you put into the D300. Bodies come and go and by the time you learn the one you have it will be time to get a new one while glass can carry you from body to body and still hold ist quality. I think a good place to start would be the 17-55 2.8 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300490-USA/Nikon_2147_17_55mm_f_2_8G_ED_IF_AF_S.html but since you sunk all your money into more body than you need you probably can't afford that.

If you want just one lens and can afford the price of admission, I would suggest a 24mm-70mm f/2.8.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Other (and less expensive) choices might be the 50mm of course, as well as a 35mm f/2 and an 85mm f/1.8. Those three can give you a full body shot, a portrait shot and a close-up head shot.

.only been shooting for 6 months.it wasn't a digital slr it was just a regular point and shoot camera.so any suggestions?? thanks guys and gals.

By the way what does this mean can anyone translate???

just saying i am not a complete newb i am with dslr though.

I wasn't suggesting you were a newb with a camera; just saying (as was stated) that hopping into a D300 as a FIRST dSLR is. . .wow - it is a BIG JUMP. I mean it'll do what you need it do to sure (and Im sure you can figure out how to do it) - but buying a second-hand D80 and loading up with two three nice pieces of glass would have been a better route to go.

I also want the D300 (badly) so, that was added in the "Oh god" as well.

I wasn't suggesting you were a newb with a camera; just saying (as was stated) that hopping into a D300 as a FIRST dSLR is. . .wow - it is a BIG JUMP. I mean it'll do what you need it do to sure (and Im sure you can figure out how to do it) - but buying a second-hand D80 and loading up with two three nice pieces of glass would have been a better route to go.

I also want the D300 (badly) so, that was added in the "Oh god" as well.

sorry for the misconception.

thank you everyone for the responses.i will have to take the trip to b and h and check out a few lenses

Hey Paul

I also purchased the d300 for my 1st dslr.....I have had slr cameras in the past along with several point and shoot diital cameras (but this is much different).You selected a camera that as you grow with your knowledge you will not be jumping into another body soon but if you would have bought a lesser camera and really enjoy photography you would have wished that you purchased a better camera.I am not saying that d40's and such are not good cameras because they are,but if you have the $$$ to spend and also can afford the glass why not.Good Luck and enjoy your new camera.

MARSHALL
D300

I also purchased the d300 for my 1st dslr.

/hangs himself in jealous rage

I have been shooting with the 50mm 1.4 on my D300 and it is a great portrait lens. If you have the room to move around I would recomend it.
Mine is on my camera 90% of the time. On a lighter note I shot with a 70-200 f/2.8 this last weekend and I loved it, so that will be another $1600 I just have to spend.

Hey Paul

I also purchased the d300 for my 1st dslr.....I have had slr cameras in the past along with several point and shoot diital cameras (but this is much different).You selected a camera that as you grow with your knowledge you will not be jumping into another body soon but if you would have bought a lesser camera and really enjoy photography you would have wished that you purchased a better camera.I am not saying that d40's and such are not good cameras because they are,but if you have the $$$ to spend and also can afford the glass why not.Good Luck and enjoy your new camera.

MARSHALL
D300

thank you for putting it so well.thats how i felt.i saved up for 6 months.and i knew i wanted this cam to grow with so i wouldn't need to spend more to upgrade.i just need to read up on lenses and what not. does anyone have any literature on lenses to give me a better grasp on the bare essentials .

the types of things i want to shoot are along the lines of

band photography(as a group) i assume a wider lens would suit that
head shots
full body shots
large buildings and structures (seeing how i live in new york)

so i want a versatile lens that cad do a least the first 3

Most reactions

New Topics

Back