Advices for 50mm lens

patatedouce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,
As a new hobbyist photographer, I ask you kindly some advices for which canon 50mm lens to take : f1.8 or f1.4, is there a huge difference between them?
As far as I know, the price is.
I read some reviews, and unfortunately it confuses me more because It was around 50/50 for both.
Some said there was barrel distortion for the f1.4 and less for the f1.8, other said the bokeh is better for f1.4 and so on..

Like I told you before, i'm very new to photography and will want to know if I'll see any differences between them in my pictures.
I'm a student and I can afford the f1.4 but I should consider keeping some money and get more with it.
I have a Canon 600D kit II (18-135mm) and I really like the bokeh effect on the 50mm as taking portrait picture.
Sorry for my English, it's not my native language and I really appreciate your help.

Nui.

Last edited:
Check out these (1 & 2) pages for examples on the lenses.

I have the f1.8, and I really like it. Yes, not great build quality, yes it feels cheap, yes, it flares a lot, yes, it focuses very slowly and noisy, but it takes darn sharp images stopped down!

Check out these (1 & 2) pages for examples on the lenses.

I have the f1.8, and I really like it. Yes, not great build quality, yes it feels cheap, yes, it flares a lot, yes, it focuses very slowly and noisy, but it takes darn sharp images stopped down!

Thanks, when they (and you) said 'not great build quality', it's like very fragile? any bad move and it breaks? or it's like my kit II? (and I do wish is not a cheap quality too..).
I saw that the L- series are the best quality so it's not 'breakable' right?
I know my question is not very explicit but I hope you understand what i'm asking.

I would say that if you can afford a USM model over a non-USM one, then you should go that direction. The USM's are built a lot more reliably, and the ergonomics of having full time manual focus and speedy, near silent autofocus seem worth it to me. The question really is whether the 50mm 1.4 is ideal. I've also read a lot of reviews of that lens and have never bought one. It is apparently one of Canon's older designs, and doesn't get as much respect as some of the other lenses in that series. It's quite attractive simply because it's a 1.4 at a reasonable price. If you're getting it for portraits however, you may want to consider the 85mm 1.8 USM. It's about the same price as the 50, and considered to be one of Canon's best values. I've been delighted with mine for portraits and also action shots. The autofocus is amazingly fast, and the glass is really sharp for the money. It's just not a 1.4, and it's a little tighter fov than the 50, so you'll have to decide if that suits your purpose.

The extra cost of the Canon 50mm f/1.4 over f/1.8 gives you the following:

- Better build quality (better plastic). But I do not think the f/1.8 really that bad. It just feel very plastic.
- Metal mount vs plastic. I don't like plastic mount. But that is just personal preference.
- Faster Autofocus (micro-USM AF drive). Of course, faster the better especially when taking photos of kids. But it does not mean the f/1.8 is slow. Just slower.
- Full Time Manual (FTM) focus. If you do not use manual focus anyway, it is not a deal breaker.
- Manual focus ring is NOT at the front of the lens. Don't know why Canon move the manual focus ring to the front of the lens in f/1.8. If you never use manual focus, it is not an issue at all.
- Distance scale. Comes in handy sometimes, but most of the time, I do not use it.
- 8 Aperture blades (instead of 5) More blades = Better out of focus blur look. Take a look at here. Scroll down to Bokeh and read about it.
- A little sharper at f/1.8
- And of course, you can stop down the lens to f/1.4. (Wider aperture to allow more light to enter)

Edit: I have the f/1.4 now and used to own the f/1.8 II as well as the f/1.8 I.

When I say it's cheaply built, I mean that everything is plastic, even the mount. I wouldn't drop mine, It would probably break and shatter. As a learning tool, it's great. However, it's not really a long term investment.

Thanks for the help!
I may consider the f1.4 or maybe get some information about the 85mm.
Because i'm unsure if I will take a lot of portrait.

When I say it's cheaply built, I mean that everything is plastic, even the mount. I wouldn't drop mine, It would probably break and shatter. As a learning tool, it's great. However, it's not really a long term investment.
I have heard of some of them literally falling apart, but I have also heard of some of them hitting concrete and bouncing 4 feet in the air with no damage... :lol:

I haven't used the 1.8 version, but I have the 1.4... I say, if you can afford the 1.4, get that.

If it helps on the build quality, my 50mm 1.8 took a spill from a couch (thanks to a niece) hard enough to severely crack the filter on it. Lens still shoots great! It does feel cheap, but short of a major drop/fall/direct hit I haven't experienced significant strength of material issues. I think a lot of people could comment on longevity - I haven't had mine a super long time, but I have used the hell out of it.

Hope this helps!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back