Advise on Nikon Lense

dr4ke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Afternoon all,

This is my very first post to do with DSLR camera's/lenses or photograpy. I have recently bought myself a Nikon D3200 camera with a 18-55mm lense kit.

I have two questions; firstly what exactly does the '18-55mm' mean?

Secondly, I'd like to get another lense (new or used doesn't matter) as I'm going to America in 1 and a half months and would like an upgrade which can take good scenary/portrait and animal (zoo) photo's. Preferably I'd like a decent zoom so I can get nice close ups.

I've created a wish list of those I believe may be a good choice, could someone give me some advice?

Amazon Wish List: Amazon.co.uk: Simon Drake: DSLR/Photography

Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Afternoon all,

This is my very first post to do with DSLR camera's/lenses or photograpy. I have recently bought myself a Nikon D3200 camera with a 18-55mm lense kit.

The focal length... it can be changed from 18mm to 55mm and everywhere in between.

Secondly, I'd like to get another lense (new or used doesn't matter) as I'm going to America in 1 and a half months and would like an upgrade which can take good scenary/portrait and animal (zoo) photo's. Preferably I'd like a decent zoom so I can get nice close ups.

I've created a wish list of those I believe may be a good choice, could someone give me some advice?

Amazon Wish List: Amazon.co.uk: Simon Drake: DSLR/Photography

Thanks.

Link doesn't work. But I'd suggest looking at the 55-200.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
18-55 is the focal length of the lens, that is, essentially how wide an area you can see, properly referred to as the "field of view" or "FOV". The smaller the number, the wider the FOV and less "magnification" (BTW, I'm pretty sure that's explained in the instruction manual you should have received with the kit). Of the lenses on your list, my recommendation would be for either the Nikkor 55-200 or 70-300 as a good compliment to your current lens.

I'm going to America in 1 and a half months and would like an upgrade which can take good scenary/portrait and animal (zoo) photo's. Preferably I'd like a decent zoom so I can get nice close ups.

I suggest you spend a good amount of time reading about exposure and composition and the rest of the time shooting pictures to learn to use your camera.
A new lens isn't a magic bullet.

Thanks.

As mentioned above 18-55mm means Focal Length. Basically, anything that mentions just one set of numbers like 18mm is a Prime Lens or Fixed and requires you to move towards or away from the subject. Anything mentioning a series of numbers such as 18-55 equals zoom. The lower the first number, the wider the angle, the higher the second number equals how much close ups of further away subjects. This is real basic designed to roughly explain things.

Anyhow, my go to lens for traveling is the Nikon 18-200mm and one I highly recommend. You only need this one lens to cover 18-200mm range which is a lot for walking around shooting Zoo animals or landscapes/cityscapes. If you chose to o wih a 18-55 and a 55-200, you will have two seperate lenes and waste time swapping lenes, possibly missing shots.

Thank you for all the responses. So in summary the small number of Focal Length means how much you can fit in your picture (i.e. the smallest zoom option available) where the highest number of Focal Length is the zoom available (e.g. 18-55mm provides a less zoom option than a 18-200mm?).

Will a higher Focal Length range alter how good the pixelation is? So if I do opt for a 18-200mm lens, is it likely that the picture will just become over distorted after 55mm anyway?

Lastly, are there any additional 'add-ons' that are necessity; for example auto focus etc?

Thank you for all the responses. So in summary the small number of Focal Length means how much you can fit in your picture (i.e. the smallest zoom option available) where the highest number of Focal Length is the zoom available (e.g. 18-55mm provides a less zoom option than a 18-200mm?).

The bigger the number, the 'closer' you will appear to be to the subject.

Will a higher Focal Length range alter how good the pixelation is?

No. Pixelization is a result of the image sensor and how much you magnify the image after it's taken.

So if I do opt for a 18-200mm lens, is it likely that the picture will just become over distorted after 55mm anyway?

"Distortion" covers a lot of real estate. Pincushioning, Barreling, Vignetting, Chromatic Abberation, etc. are all 'distortions'.

Lastly, are there any additional 'add-ons' that are necessity; for example auto focus etc?

AF certainly helps, but it's not a cure-all for all ills.

Thanks 480Sparky, so with my camera (Nikon D3200) which is only an entry level DSLR is there a 'limit' which I shouldnt cross with the Focal Length? I.e. should I stay to 105mm or 200mm etc?

I do have a lot to learn about my DSLR, and I'm a couple of chapters through 'D3200 for Dummies' which is helping; it would be good to understand whether there is a 'limit' to my camera so I don't fork out on a feature (for example up to 300mm) which I will never use.

My budget is probably around £150 as I am only learning at this point, so even if I do get a 55mm-XXmm and have to change lenses that's ok. The main challenge at the moment is to learn learn learn!

Thanks 480Sparky, so with my camera (Nikon D3200) which is only an entry level DSLR is there a 'limit' which I shouldnt cross with the Focal Length? I.e. should I stay to 105mm or 200mm etc?.....

From a technical standpoint you can use any focal length you want..... 6mm to 20000mm.

However, when one is just starting out it's best to stick to the mid-range focal lengths.

The 18 to 200 should suit you fine until you gain the experience to start looking for longer glass.

Most reactions

Back