Aerial Photog question

firemedic0135

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to go in the air with a friend who has a plane to shoot the fall colors.
My question is what is the best time of day for light that will bring out the colors and not just cast shadows.
I know that 1 hour after sunrise or one before sunset are the best for outdoor photog but are they the best for aerial views?
thanks

Yup, earlier or later the better....but since it is winter-ish, the sun angle is lower than dead of summer....

The middle of the day is the 'flatest' light from above, and your pictures will appear flat and low in contrast and depth....

Garrett
Commerical Pilot

Yes, around sunrise or sundown are good times but for fall colours, so is after a rain. If you are shooting out the side of a small plane gravol (anti-air sickness) is useful to have close by. Close to the ground is certainly better than being too high up for good shots.

Haze and a blue hue and colour temperature are serious problems as well as the vibration of the airplane. A polarizing filter and shooting at right angle to the sun helps. Warming the colour temperature through menus or an enhancing filter is also useful. A low ISO will generate more contrast and less picture noise. You need a higher shutterspeed because of the vibration of the plane and a midrange fstop for good sharpness from the lens.

skieur

I'm no expert on lighting, but it sounds like early morning or late afternoon are best for what you want.

What I will add is if you have a choice, take early morning over afternoon. In the afternoon, the ground and air has warmed up which causes thermals, which makes for a bumpier ride. Morning air is always smoother for light aircraft. Especially important if you haven't flown light aircraft before ;-) Cooler air is probably clearer for photography as well, less heat haze and dust...)

all good pointers!!!
Thanks for the help.
I have flown with him before and it can be quite bumpy in that little thing.
I learned early to not eat before a flight and bring a pack of smokes for the nerves.:lmao:

Ive had my share of bumpy rides in the air, HH-60 pavehack helicopters were the roughest so far though the F-16 pull alot of Gs.

Ive had my share of bumpy rides in the air, HH-60 pavehack helicopters were the roughest so far though the F-16 pull alot of Gs.

Oh bugger off and stop showing off!

(TIC, I'm just jealous :wink: )

Most reactions

Back