Aerial shots of Ottawa

Neb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.benpurkissdesign.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Had a chance to fly over Canada's capital last week and shoot some photos. It's way hard trying to steady a 200mm in a 4 seater airplane :p happy with some shots but of course any C&C welcome. I found some of the photos got blown out once I saved them as jpeg from the raw files so I may tweak some a bit..

The plane:
4056851062_94b1532f4b_b.jpg

4056848604_bdc7fbcdda_o.jpg

some shots:
4056848694_5bff19fcd9_o.jpg

4056848832_b8d12320c7_o.jpg

4056109647_4a9c43d13c_b.jpg

full set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4...tail/

The second shot is pretty much the only one I really like.

The last two look like they need some adjustments (levels, curves, contrast) to make them stand a bit more.

The last shot, with the spider, might look good if it was just the spider with some people, nothing else around.

Thanks for posting these. Nice work, I like your pictures very much.
If I had to recommend something, I'd recommend to increase the contrast of these pictures a little bit.

I love the shot of the cockpit. The 3 aerial shots, imo, need cropping!

The last shot, with the spider, might look good if it was just the spider with some people, nothing else around.

It's not really a spider...sorta...more of an abstract art fixture. It's in front of the national art gallery. Really weird looking thing, but I would debate that it's actually a spider. Spider-like qualities perhaps...but not quite all the way to spider.

I just call it the spider as most of my friends in Ottawa refer to it as the spider. :)
Easier than saying "that abstract piece of art that looks like a spider"

I thought the abstract art piece that looks like a spider but is not a spider, the one with spider-like qualities but is not all the way to spider, looked pretty cool from the air. What I like about the abstract art piece that looks like a spider but is not a spider, the one with spider-like qualities but is not all the way to spider, is how very much its eight legs and tiny body stand out as it it positioned there above the concrete of the sidewalk. It's a very striking modern art piece, and one clearly based on some type of advanced being not found on planet Earth. The shape and form of the sculpture it is amazingly different from anything I have seen,and its creator must have found inspiration from some other planet, since the thing looks so,so other-worldly. Almost like a life form found on Mars or something.

It was interesting to se the worn exterior and interior of that old aircraft. It doesn't look like it has been maintained very well. But it did get you high above the city,where you captured the sculpture with the unmistakably spider gestalt. Oh, wait, the one with "spider-like" gestalt qualities.

gestalt - definition of gestalt by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

the second one still wows me, i must admit the other ones didn't really do anything for me, but the second one is .. just great

edit: the others dont do it for me because i feel like the colors are bland, its very grey, not lively, maybe some saturation would help

Yeah we flew out of Rockcliffe.. What was difficult with the shots was that I had to shoot through 30 year old windows so it really dulled all the photos down. They could still use some processing for sure though.

And the planes are actually very well maintained, just dirty. Engine rebuilds after 2000hr thoroughly checked before every flight etc etc. This one is about 30 years old or so.

^ tons of Cessnas banging around these days are circa 1970... in fact that would probably be the median age of the average C172.

also agreeing that shot #2 is the best of the bunch. i like that pre-powerup look of the Artificial Horizon with the lean.

Yea, Rockcliffe takes care of their aircraft just like any other club. Though that poor 172 needs a wash.

Next time, you might want to ask the pilot if you can open the window to avoid the dull/flat look. I know I've flown with the windows open in a 172 a couple of times, its windy as heck, but doesn't cause any real problems.

Most reactions

Back