AF-C

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot in AF-C when shooting children. I know its supposed to track the focus, but when I hit the shutter half way the focus bracket [ ] only stays in the center, and it doesn't move to any of the other 11 points in my camera. Is it still focusing? In the manual i think it says like if the subject moves out of the focus area it will focus on the next closest point the subject is on.

I know with 3dtracking the focus jumps around on all 11 points... but i dont use it because most of the time it doesn't focus on what i want it to focus on. So im thinking with AF-C... shouldnt the focus bracket also jump around the 11 points or is what i'm doing correct?:

What im doing is keeping the bracket at the center point, and when the subject moves i just move my camera along with them so the bracket stays over them.

AFC is continuous focus, which has to do with the camera refocusing when you're moving while giving priority to a pre-determined focus area. If you're using single point focus mode, the camera will refocus while the shutter button is 1/2 way pressed as long as the subject is in that spot. On my Fujifilm S2 Pro and D7000, you can move the focus area around if you're using single point focus mode. Your camera's manual should tell your in more details about the behavior of each focus mode.

I don't know what happened to my signature but i have the D5000

AF-C doesn't track focus throughout the view finder. It just continues to focus on what is under the selected focus point as long as autofocus is activated, either through an AF-ON Button or from half pressing the shutter release.

AF-C doesn't track focus throughout the view finder. It just continues to focus on what is under the selected focus point as long as autofocus is activated, either through an AF-ON Button or from half pressing the shutter release.

So what does it mean when it says that AF-C will focus on the closest focus point if the subject moves out of a focus point? Does it mean i would have to manually move the [] to track the subject? OR would it just be easier to just track the subject under 1 focus point and move my camera around?

There are two different focus adjustments. One is the AF-A, AF-C, and AF-S. AF-A is a combo of AF-C and AF-S. AF-C will track your subject as it moves closer or further away, not side to side. AF-S just focuses once and if your subject moves further or closer you have to refocus. AF-A does something in between which I can't predict so I don't use.

Now, there is also AF Area Modes. Those are single, dynamic, auto, and 3d tracking. Dynamic, auto, and 3d tracking all will have your focus point move across the frame. Single does not. Again, I can't predict what dynamic, auto, or 3d tracking will do, so I don't use them.

If what you are looking for is to focus on a subject, and then have your focus system track that subject around the frame and closer or further, it seems like you should be in AF-C with 3d tracking selected for the AF Area mode.

There are two different focus adjustments. One is the AF-A, AF-C, and AF-S. AF-A is a combo of AF-C and AF-S. AF-C will track your subject as it moves closer or further away, not side to side. AF-S just focuses once and if your subject moves further or closer you have to refocus. AF-A does something in between which I can't predict so I don't use.

Now, there is also AF Area Modes. Those are single, dynamic, auto, and 3d tracking. Dynamic, auto, and 3d tracking all will have your focus point move across the frame. Single does not. Again, I can't predict what dynamic, auto, or 3d tracking will do, so I don't use them.

If what you are looking for is to focus on a subject, and then have your focus system track that subject around the frame and closer or further, it seems like you should be in AF-C with 3d tracking selected for the AF Area mode.

Wow... had no idea AF-C doesn't work side to side. I always shoot in AF area single mode too because most of the time all the others modes don't focus on what i need.
But i'll give the 3d tracking a try again... only used it once and didn't like the results.... :p

Thanks again for your explainations!

Just to make sure I made myself clear, I don't use the 3d tracking, dynamic, or auto modes. I also use AF area single mode for the same reason you do...because most of the times the others don't focus on what I need it to.

I wasn't saying to switch, I was just explaining why your settings weren't working like you expected them to. In the better camera bodies, like the D700, the focus tracking does a much better job and is a viable option. I just don't feel like the D90 and below cameras have that same capability, even if the option is available.

Just to make sure I made myself clear, I don't use the 3d tracking, dynamic, or auto modes. I also use AF area single mode for the same reason you do...because most of the times the others don't focus on what I need it to.

I wasn't saying to switch, I was just explaining why your settings weren't working like you expected them to. In the better camera bodies, like the D700, the focus tracking does a much better job and is a viable option. I just don't feel like the D90 and below cameras have that same capability, even if the option is available.

I got what you said ;)

So in the better body cameras the AF-C focuses forward, back and side to side?

I got what you said ;)

So in the better body cameras the AF-C focuses forward, back and side to side?
Not in AF area single mode, but their 3D tracking, dynamic, and auto modes are better. Nikon lets you pick how you want the camera to focus. In AF Area Single Mode, you pick a single focus point. That's it. If you want the camera to pick the focus point, you have to change modes.

Interesting that the D5000 doesn't allow you to move the focus point. My 10 year old Fujifilm S2 Pro has that option.

Most reactions

Back