AF Lens Compatibility

mwcfarms

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.deannachambers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I have looked at the compatibility chart for my D90, I just wanted to double check that I understood it correctly.

An AF lens ie a 35 to 70mm F2.8D lens will work with my D90 right, the only limitation looks to be in 3d Matrix metering. I am looking at getting a used one cheap and don't want to over think it but wanted to double check. Thanks for any info.

The Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8 AF-D zoom lens is a pretty good lens. It will work perfectly with a D90.

Thank you guys, appreciate the responses, I am heading into the city tonight to try it and a Sigma 24 to 70mm EX DG macro. Both are used. Any tips on buying used I would certainly appreciate it.

If you can see the lens, either in person or by photos, and there is some sort of return policy or acceptance if the item is DOA, go for it. I got my 80-200, 18-70, 18-50, 28-80, N65, and SB-600 all used.

Mark

I'm taking my camera and what to try the lenses both. One is a combo unit the Sigma 24 to 70mm comes with a D70. D70 has 11k actuations on it and the accessories. Its 500$ and the Nikon 35 to 70 is by itself and I think 360 which might be negotiable. Not sure if that was a good deal or not since I couldn't find a comparison yet online. Anyways I'm more interested in the Sigma.

Sigma. 24-70 f/2.8....but it has a D70 stuck to it....you do not want a D70!

I dunno...the 24-70 Sigma might not be that great of a lens...it seems like the seller needs to pair it with a camera to get rid of it.

I tell you what...I would not pay anybidy $500 for a D70 + a Sigma 24-70 lens...the D70 is,well...old technology....I still have one and am familiar with its limitations...

Sigma has reently tried to up-sell itself on its lenses, raising prices very,very significantly over the last few months. I'm still not sold on their optical/mechanical performance, NOR on the SIgma compatibility with Nikon;'s made at the D200 and later stages...many earlier Sigmas, like those that came out in the D70 era, will need to be re-chipped to work with newer Nikons without screwy AF erratic behavior; Nikon re-did the AF-S protocol in the D200 and newer bodies,leaving older Sigma lenses prone to weird AF behaviors when used on newer bodies. MAKE SURE you test the Sigma out on a newer body, and not only on the D70.

Last edited:
That includes the Sigma 24 to 70mm F2.8 Ex lens. I know the D70 is worth 150 to 200 lol. The lens is what I am interested in.

But thanks for having my back Derrel. You rock. :sexywink:

Last edited:
Thanks..I was re-editing my reply when you wrote yours! I saw that the $500 was for a D70+ Sigma 24-70.

That older 35-70 might not seem like a very promising lens, but it is a high-quality 3-focal length zoom with a premium 35-50-70 capability, plus all the FL's in between, in one lens...it is also an FX-capable lens.

Copied from an earlier post - John's 'How to guide' for buying used glass:

Buying used lenses is a great way to save money and get better gear than you normally would. All but two of my lenses have been bought used with nary a problem.

Always make sure that you review the lens on-line especially if it's somethin gmore on the unusual side. Like cars, some lenses are prone to certain issue, and knowing what to look for ahead of time can save you a lot of grief. As well, know what prices are common, check eBay, used gear stores etc.

When you first meet with the seller, look at the lens carefully. What is the condition of the exterior? Is is scraped or scratched? Is the filter-ring damaged (always ensure you know what diameter filter the lens takes and bring a filter with you). If a filter won't screw on easily, question the seller, it's usually a good indication that the lens has been dropped or banged hard. The price should reflect this ('though I would likely walk away at this point).

Ensure you have a small penlight and look through the lens from both ends; look for any odd refractions which might indication displacement or separation of internal elements or fungus growing inside (not uncommon in older lenses). A little internal dust is nothing to worry about. Hold the light against each end element at various angles to look for cleaning damange, scuffs, swirl-marks etc. Again, I would walk away if there are any; this is an indication someone didn't know how to care for the lens.

Close the aperture (if you don't already, check to ensure you know which pin on the lens operates the aperture) and watch it carefully. When you let the pin go, it should snap back quickly and evenly; look for any signs of oil or residue on the blades. When they're closed, do they form an even pattern, or do one or more appear to not be in the same position? If so, you know what to do here.

Smell the lens carefully. Sound funny? Probably, BUT if a lens has been stored somewhere damp (especially an older lens) you may smell a damp, moldy/mildew smell. Again, you know what to do if you thing there's any indication of that.
Mount the lens on your camera; ensure that it functions correctly in ALL modes, take and CHECK test shots in manual mode at all apertures. Mount and unmount the lens several times, ensuring that it feels smooth and doesn't catch. Manually focus the lens and operate the aperture ring (if so fitted) if it's a zoom, operate that. These functions should feel smooth and positive. If there's slop, grinding, or points at which something feels wrong, walk away. Ensure you do this with the camera in normal shooting position, upside down, lens pointed up, down, etc. often a problem can manifest itself in one position and not in others.

Thanks for the tips and replies. I brought my d90 to try both lenses out will let you know how it goes. I know that mechanically the nikon is probably better but wanted to check out the sigma too

I'm selling a 17-55 and d200 to finance a d700. I'll be using a nikkor 35-70 f2.8 on it that I've had since my f4s days. It's the top nikkor mid range zoom of that era. Superseded by the 28-70 and then by the current 24-70. It's a very good solidly built and reliable lens. It also has a close focus capability, down to just a few inches. FWIW I'd buy it again. Nearly as good as the 28-70 but way way Way less expensive.

Holy crap its a heavy lens well it has a stick at 35mm and I noticed a tiny sliver crack from the top of the lens barrel where it met the body and you could see contact like connections like on the bottom of a cordless

Most reactions

Back