AF only works when it feels like it.

ApSciPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.apsciphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Apologies if this has already been asked/answered. I'm helping out at a studio (sitting at the studio now waiting for an appt) and they're using equipment I'm not terribly familiar with (I'm a Nikon girl, they have all Canon). Anyway, I've been doing a lot of shoots that start in the studio then move outside. They ask that I always use AF - which is fine for me. Catching 3 years on MF is not a challenge I'm up for at the moment.

When we move outdoors though, the AF no longer works. It's no big deal to manual focus, but it does take that extra split second to be sure, you know? And to me it doesn't seem okay that the AF just decides to not work when not indoors.

Doesn't make any sense to me! If it matters, the camera is a 1D Mark IV, lens is a 24-70 2.8. Attached to it we have a file transmitter and, while indoors, a Cyber Commander to 5 Alien Bees. Outdoors the Cyber Commander comes off, and a 580EX II flash goes on.

Any ideas? Is there maybe a setting I should be switching? Thanks!

Check the camera's custom controls menu as I suspect that the camera is set so that its AF won't engage if the camera thinks AF is impossible in its current situation (even if it could be). So it might simply be that the mode needs turning off. I can't say the specific location of the mode save that it will be in its custom menu control areas (it varies from camera to camera) .

Most reactions

Back