AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

Mr. Photo....you may have just hit on my problem.....I am not new to photography, but, am very new to digital cameras....yes, I am shooting with VR on.....even on a tripod....I shall try the 18-55 with VR off, and see what happens....thanks for the tip.....

Jim, I followed the link to your lens for sale....sounds ok.....however, I never use Paypal, and never will.....thanks, anyways.....

Taken with the 18-55 VR on a D3100.

Grass%2520snake_2.jpg
D3100 with 18-55mm, yet another proof you don't need to have top notch/high end equipment to be able to produce wonderful results, it really is mostly about the photographers skills, good job!!!

DXOMark states that the 16-85mm VR gets only 8P-MPix when paired with the D5300 or D7100. It only goes downhill from there. On the other hand, numbers aside, the lens is sharp... but the DXO rating had me do a double-take on the images I took with my old 16-85mm VR.

I used to own the 16-85mm VR. It was a good lens. The only downside to the lens is that it is limited to a slow aperture. The only other downside is that it is in a slightly older generation of zoom lenses as far as sharpness is concerned (especially for its price). I would call it a dated product, with a price-tag that hasn't kept up with the times. It's still a relevant lens, but it still goes new for $700, which is absurd.

For me, I don't have a use for the 16-85mm VR. The 16-85 is just an improved kit lens: It doesn't specialize at anything, but it's convenient if that's what you want. If you don't think you'll be lugging around extra lenses that overlap with the 16-85, and you don't think you'll want a quicker aperture, then it's a worth-while lens to consider (especially if you like the 18-55 kit lens and just want what the 18-55 offers, but improved slightly).

Most reactions

Back