Afraid of the Dark?

K_Pugh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Ok, a little story for the bored amongst you regarding my quite unusual night last night.

I decided to take the last ferry over to Arran, an island, very nice island although it started raining as i got over there. As it was the last ferry i had no way of going back so i knew i was there for the night.

Got a quick bite to eat at the local chip shop and started walking. My plan was to walk to Sannox, some 8 miles away, during the night to get to the Glen in time for the sun to come up (fat chance). I didn't get many shots as it was raining and wasn't prepared so had no method of keeping rain off the camera.

So i get to Corrie (6 miles or so), quite wet by this time, but i find this unusual scene at the pier.

1. (used flash to give it a contrasty, gritty look.)
img001-1.jpg

Now that got my mind working, what in the name of....?!?

Needless to say i didn't hang around too much and started walking further on. Whoa! a deer jumps out on the road 20 foot in front of me giving me the fright of my life! ok, so, that was that, keep walking.. getting quite dark by now.

Some time later i enter Sannox, sooner than expected may i add. No sooner than me arriving a freak rain storm appears and strong winds so i head into the bus shelter, one of only two i had seen on the 8 mile walk, convenient. The storm lasts quite a while and i begin to get a little cold. Houses across the road begin to turn their lights off for the night. All i can hear is crashing waves, drips of water coming in through the roof of the shelter, creaking of the trees in front of me and cars passing every 20 minutes, in pairs, just hoping they wouldn't stop!. At this point i decided that i'm not going to get the shots that i wanted and all i had to do was wait out the night, wait til the rain goes off and head back - so i decided to try document my journey. I had taken a photo of my view from the shelter, exposure was ok according to the camera but it was underexposed on the negative.. all my other shots were ok.

I walked further on to pass some time as the rain had stopped. I was walking up the road in complete darkness. The walking, cold and just how dark it was with no moonlight due to complete cloud cover i could see fractals as i walked, and could only see about 2 feet in front of me, the white lines in the middle of the road, nothing else.

Again a deer jumps out running across the road right in front of me, i couldn't even see it i could only hear it, and as it was running it didn't seem to be getting further away. I keep walking and i hear growling behind me, deer growl? i hope so!! i walk a tad faster anyway.. around the corner i see a little light that's welcoming but altogether hopeless, the telephone doesn't work.

img002.jpg

It's like horror movies we somehow feel attracted to light but it only makes us even more visible so i walk back into the shadows and reach the glen, but didn't go into it just walked down the road parallel and there's weird music playing "nighttime rainstorm, no summer sun".. quite fitting if you ask me, weird thing is it didn't get any quieter as i walked on about another 1/2 mile, it was as if it was following me, i had to question whether it was real or not lol

Walked back with all sorts going through my mind, what if someone else is walking up this road, how freaked would i be, what would i do, walk on and not say anything and keep a look out, say something in a deep voice and keep walking... what would you do? someone appearing out of the blue 3 feet in front of you at 2am in the morning in an unfamiliar place in the middle of nowhere.

Headed back to he shelter and waited for light, i got light, but i also got heavy rain, i just had to suffer and walk the 8 or so miles back to the ferry terminal, soaked to the bone and walking at a snails pace. I thought i seen a tall guy in the woods dressed in white with a white pointed hat, he seemed to turn away and then disappeared.. trick of the trees i told myself.

Crazy experience.

(pretty rubbish story lol but that's two pics i got anyway, so it's not totally pointless)

er.. i just noticed looking at the first photo that the background (sea and rocks) moves about like a 3D image on my screen when looking at the shoe, anyone else getting that effect? sort of like the effect you get looking off a tall building, small movements look very amplified and shakey.

I love the first picture. And the story. I would've been terrified. But you got a great story from it, and shots, and thats what matters!

Most reactions

Back