African Safari

ufale

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In a few weeks, I will be going on an African Safari. For some time, I have been stressing over the proper equipment to bring with me (30 lbs luggage weight limit...for a 2 week safari). So far, my equipment will be the following:

Pentax K5 and a Pentax K30
Pentax 300 mm f4 *DA
Pentax 16-50 mm [IF] *DA
Pentax 50 mm 1.4 FA

I am leaning against a teleconverter, as I have heard that they degrade the IQ and allow for dust to enter the camera. I still need to get a macro lens, and a dedicated camcorder.

I am open to any suggestions that anyone might have. This is a 'once in a lifetime' trip, and I would like to get it right.

Where are you heading in Africa? I've just recently returned. Your equipment lineup looks solid. If you are planning on visiting Victoria Falls, at least from the Zimbabwe side, consider not trying to shoot it, or at least take many precautions. I almost ruined my rig, as I prepared to get a bit wet but found out that a large portion of the day was equal to standing in my shower.

Thanks for your reply. I am going to Kenya and Tanzania, during the great migration. The highlights will be a day in the Ngorogoro crater, and a balloon ride over the Great Rift Valley (unfortunately, no Victoria Falls). My biggest concern is that my 300mm prime will not be enough for the 'long shots.' Since I shoot Pentax, I do not think that I have a whole lot of options. The 'Bigma' (Sigma 50-500) is not WR, and it's IQ is just not as good as the 300mm f4. Also, I have no experience with camcorders. I waver between the relatively cheap Panasonic super-zooms, and the more expensive prosumer Canons and Sonys. Since this is a 'trip of a life-time,' I am willing to make substantial upgrades to my equipment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back