Pro Camera + Gear for under $20k

Your still in the 20th Century I see. My latest MBP has a native resolution of 2560 by 1600 pixels on a 15" display.

2560 x 1600 is MBP 13"
My MBP 15" is 2880 x1800, just checked.
You are correct, I looked at the 13" by mistake. I'd still rather use a 40" 4k display.

Your still in the 20th Century I see. My latest MBP has a native resolution of 2560 by 1600 pixels on a 15" display.

2560 x 1600 is MBP 13"
My MBP 15" is 2880 x1800, just checked.
By jove your right. I was typing on mine and pulled the resolution up on the wife's. Forgot she uses a larger display cause she is blind. Vanity of contacts vs better vision with glasses for her. Me, I'll keep my 20/15 vision with glasses.

What is your reserve like financially? How many months can you live without income? Do you have any commercial photography background?
It isn't as easy as buying the gear and doing it.

Over the past 6 months or so, I've also been contemplating on getting into commercial photography, but the equipment and gear costs were holding me back. Now that I have this opportunity, I've been seriously putting some thought into getting some pro-level gear with around $20k at my disposal.
the equipment is what was holding you back? Your're going to take just as bad of pictures with this pro equipment.

Where did the original funds for the car come from?

LOL Good Point! As was the one on training.

I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, it's a hobby (Something my wife reminds me of when she catches me ordering more equipment). Many, many years ago, I found I was being invited to social events with the additional comment "by the way can you take a few photos". Sadly it eventually turned me off so much, that I gave up photography completely for over 30 years. Only since retirement have I gained interest in it again, AS A HOBBY. The point of my rambling is before you go out and drop a chunk of change, you really need to think about where you're going with it. If it's a hobby and you can afford it, buy what ever floats your boat, but if you're serious about going pro, you need to consider what some others have suggested and pursue training first. I can tell you first hand there's a wold of difference in doing something for the fun of it, and doing it as a job.

I suppose I was thinking the D5 could be overkill for the stage of the game the OP is in. However, if he had come here saying he just got his trust fund payment and was swimming in cash, why not get the best!
I think a D5 XQD version would be a good choice as he mentioned using it for video as well and it will do 4k video, albeit only at 30fps, but if it's set up right that will be more than sufficient for recording but only 3 minutes at a time unless you feed it out with the HDMI output to record externally. For hardcore video production, it's not a great choice, but for small cuts of products, it will work.

So far, nobody's mentioned anything about the Sony A7RII, are they not very good cameras?.

What is your reserve like financially? How many months can you live without income? Do you have any commercial photography background?
It isn't as easy as buying the gear and doing it.

Approximately 16 months, I am sure that I could stretch it even further if I were being conservative with my spending.

Moreover, yes, I have done a few product shoots for local businesses in the last couple of years, they have been challenging, as I was having to use nothing but a couple of speed lights for lighting, but it seemed to work, with a little bit of effort, the photos turned out pretty decent, which got me thinking that I might be able to improve on it with better lighting equipment and perhaps a more powerful camera, you have to remember the Pentax K-3 is a 3 year old APS-C camera and the K-3II isn't all that much better.

A lot of my friends work freelance as creative design experts, that is how I got all of product shoots, I think that with a good enough setup I could expand on my past experience and really make something of myself here.

Some key words that say don't do it to me is what you said (What little skill I have) Maybe your having mid life crisis or something and making a bad decision.Keep your car,keep the gear you have and make money off the stuff you have then use that money to upgrade. I use to have my own Company Van until I quit then they took the darn thing back, stupid company,stupid Ex-boss.I was hoping to drive the company vehicle to the ground so my car can stay like new but they noticed I had a company vehicle after I said I am quitting.

I was being humble :) And besides, it seems that you have not read most my comments in this thread, I've got a back up vehicle, my parents don't use their old Lexus LS460 anymore, so I basically can have the damn thing as I please.

Moreover, who ever said anything about quitting? All I'm saying is that I want to slowly transition from being in finance to becoming a commercial photographer, it might take me years for all I know.

I might be young, but I am not dumb. :)

Over the past 6 months or so, I've also been contemplating on getting into commercial photography, but the equipment and gear costs were holding me back. Now that I have this opportunity, I've been seriously putting some thought into getting some pro-level gear with around $20k at my disposal.
the equipment is what was holding you back? Your're going to take just as bad of pictures with this pro equipment.

LOL Good Point! As was the one on training.

I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, it's a hobby (Something my wife reminds me of when she catches me ordering more equipment). Many, many years ago, I found I was being invited to social events with the additional comment "by the way can you take a few photos". Sadly it eventually turned me off so much, that I gave up photography completely for over 30 years. Only since retirement have I gained interest in it again, AS A HOBBY. The point of my rambling is before you go out and drop a chunk of change, you really need to think about where you're going with it. If it's a hobby and you can afford it, buy what ever floats your boat, but if you're serious about going pro, you need to consider what some others have suggested and pursue training first. I can tell you first hand there's a wold of difference in doing something for the fun of it, and doing it as a job.

Unfortunately sir, you along with several others did not bother reading through my post, I had clearly mentioned that it was the cost of the equipment that was holding me back, the COST of the equipment that I needed to get and not the EQUIPMENT that I currently own.

The COST of equipment and gear is what kept me from doing it.

And I've mentioned at least 16 times so far in this thread that I have a full-time job, so I CAN afford to buy a CAR. Jesus...

I'll take a minute to apologize for the forum members that won't apologize for themselves. We're sorry.
There. :)
Not all members want to hold people back from following their dreams.
Good luck.

Forget Nikon and Canon and get the Leica S brilliant for studio work flash sinc speeds are much higher if you need

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Agree. A nice little Leica, a couple of Summicron lenses, the latest MacBook Pro and the coolest messenger bag you can find.

It is a much wiser investment, because when you start selling it to buy a car, you will realise it all holds its price better than any DSLR. Everything apart from the bag.

And the oscar for best supporting actor in a comedy goes to... You guessed it, congratulations.

Forget Nikon and Canon and get the Leica S brilliant for studio work flash sinc speeds are much higher if you need

Agree. A nice little Leica, a couple of Summicron lenses, the latest MacBook Pro and the coolest messenger bag you can find.

It is a much wiser investment, because when you start selling it to buy a car, you will realise it all holds its price better than any DSLR. Everything apart from the bag.

And the oscar for best supporting actor in a comedy goes to... You guessed it, congratulations.
I'm being serious

But on the other hand if you don't know what you need you are wasting your money

I'll take a minute to apologize for the forum members that won't apologize for themselves. We're sorry.
There. :)
Not all members want to hold people back from following their dreams.
Good luck.

Lol, I am not looking for an apology, I'm just amazed by some of the responses in this thread. I mean, I don't want to sound like an asshole, but it's my money, I could set it ablaze if I want to.

All I asked for was how would other photographers spend $20k if they wanted to take their photography to the next level, and go commercial, but I guess that its a bit too much for some folks over here to swollow, lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back