Pro Camera + Gear for under $20k

ThatAudiGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,

New to the forum. So, I am contemplating on selling my car (I have an offer for $22k), as I'll be getting a company car in about two weeks time. I've been an avid photographer for the past 4 years and developed most of what little skill I have, on a Pentax K-3 & Pentax K-3 II with the following lenses:

1. 18-135mm f3.5
2. 50mm f1.4
3 18-35mm f1.8 (Sigma)
4. 50-200mm F4-5.6

All of the above are APS-C lenses.

Over the past 6 months or so, I've also been contemplating on getting into commercial photography, but the equipment and gear costs were holding me back. Now that I have this opportunity, I've been seriously putting some thought into getting some pro-level gear with around $20k at my disposal.

What kind of gear would you get if you were starting from scratch, with in-studio product photography in mind.

Equipment needed:

1. Full-Frame camera + a couple of lenses.
2. Decent lighting equipment.
3. A decent editing rig (Laptop or Desktop)

I've been thinking about the new Pentax K-1 but the disadvantages are outweighing the advantages for me. For example; the K-1 would only shoots at 16 mpix when using DA series lenses. Really outdated video spec, 1080p @ 30fps in 2016 is appalling.

What would you guys get? Any alternatives ideas are welcome too.

Thanks!

I'd get a real job with a regular salary and keep my car! You know what the difference between a professional photographer and a large pizza is, right? The large pizza can feed a family.

Lol, but I am keeping my job, thats part of the reason why I am selling my car as I'll be getting a company car in a couple of weeks. Aaand, I am not married, nor do I have kids.

If it were me? I'd look at a Nikon D750.

That leaves me with $18k. What about lenses, lighting equipment and a PC, lol.

Well lenses is going to depend entirely on what you shoot. If your doing mostly portrait or product photography work, probably a 24-70 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8 would cover you for the vast majority of the stuff you'd want to shoot.

If your looking more at architecture or landscape, maybe an ultrawide of some sort.

As to a PC - anything with a decent amount of memory and a halfway decent processor will work just fine.

Well if had that money I would look at these items:
Body - Canon 5DSR
Lenses (depends on subject) - Canon or Tamron 24-70 2.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro and a 70-200 2.8
Strobes - 3-4 PCB Einstin's or Dyanlite's, Hensel or Broncolor depends on what you are shooting
Very nice tripod or Studio stand
6-10 C-Stands for strobes/rolls of Rasco paper/holding bounce cards...etc.
As for PC, I agree with Robbins.Photo this can and will turn in to PC vs Mac

But first if you haven't shot studio work before I would highly recommend attending some workshops first or buy a few tutorials from RGGEDU, Karl Taylor's Pro Courses to see if this is something you really want to do.

I guess a more important question is: What is your ultimate goal with this? Do you want to actually make a living from it, or enough to buy some new gear now and then, or just have fun?

I know this is a little off topic (but still relative considering you're contemplating selling your car), so I apologize, but would you be able to afford a car if your company car disappears?

I thought my company was pretty stable being around 50K employees, until it got bought out by another 50K employee company. Then, the layoffs started happening (thankfully, I'm still here). Changes in organization. Changes in benefits. Changes in policies. Office location consolidation. More layoffs. More changes in organization. More layoffs. You never know what lies ahead.

Can you use your company car on personal trips? What if you go out of town on vacation, are you going to rent a car or will your company be ok with you using the car for personal reasons? If you get into a car accident while using it for personal reasons, will they cover the damage? Will you have to record mileage?

If I were in the same situation, I probably wouldn't sell unless I had a guaranteed way to get around, such as reliable public transit. Public transit around me is horrible. Also, I don't have the resources (i.e., capital) to make such big changes often, so I'm a bit more conservative with my approach.

Last edited:
Well I hope your current company doesn't fire you in the next year or so and you lose your car and your 22k. Yikes.

Talk about poor planning......

But hey, at least you'd have cool new gear.

Well I hope your current company doesn't fire you in the next year or so and you lose your car and your 22k. Yikes.

Talk about poor planning......

But hey, at least you'd have cool new gear.

If it were me, put a 3-4 grand into a nice little kit and put the rest in the bank.. but, probably just me.

Over the past 6 months or so, I've also been contemplating on getting into commercial photography, but the equipment and gear costs were holding me back. Now that I have this opportunity, I've been seriously putting some thought into getting some pro-level gear with around $20k at my disposal.
the equipment is what was holding you back? Your're going to take just as bad of pictures with this pro equipment.

Where did the original funds for the car come from?

If you can't do it with what you already have you will be wasting
$22k

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Well, I am shocked! No one has even hinted at what you will need to go with that top $$$ gear.... a STUDIO!. Not just any studio a good one, with great natural lighting as well as enough space for some more advanced sets. Yes. a fellow like yourself that has thought all this out, is certain of his future job-wise and even has the transportation thing solved...I would think such a fellow would find a studio and sign at least a two year lease.

I'd get a real job with a regular salary and keep my car! You know what the difference between a professional photographer and a large pizza is, right? The large pizza can feed a family.

Lol, but I am keeping my job, thats part of the reason why I am selling my car as I'll be getting a company car in a couple of weeks. Aaand, I am not married, nor do I have kids.

Which is why you have 20k to spend on yourself. :)

Most reactions

Back