After camera bag recomendations for my kit

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK I need recommendations on a camera bag to hold my kit in. I know the best (and only real way) is to try them out in store, but I would be interested in any recommendations others here have;
My kit is the following (ok half of it still has to arrive in the post - but still):
Canon 400D
Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS
sigma 150mm macro
Canon 1.4 TC
Canon 2* TC
Sigma 1.4 TC
Sigma 2* TC
Rocket blower + general cleaning kit
MF 055XPOB tripod
MF 322 RC2 head
charger
spare battery + memory cards

As this bag is likely going to cost a good amount I would ideally like something that will last me for a good long time - and thus also cope with additions to my kit - so I don't own any of this but I intend/hope to own it one day
Battery grip
Canon 300mm f2.8 IS (that is the big addition to the kit)
Canon 24-105 IS
Canon angle finder
MF 468 RC2 - for those times when I want a ballhead on the tripod

General use: for storing camera kit in when travelling around the place - that is on the trains and in the wilds, so waterproofing is essential. I have seen some of these slingshot bags with one strap and others with quick access pockets - and whilst the pocket would be nice, its not essential (and with the longer lenses unpractical) - as for straps - at least 2 strong ones :)

Budget - flexible - unspecified
Thanks

Last edited:
Ah, I was going to suggest my Lowepro Mini Trekker until I read down and saw the lenses you want in the future.

That bag can happily hold a body with 70-200mm f/2.8 with 6-8 extra normal-sized lenses or accessories.

It has a stow-away flap and straps for a tripod (my 055XPROB with 322 RC2 head fit fine).

Your bag will be seriously heavy with all that kit in though, so you'd be right to avoid the slingshots. They're not quite as good for the back.

inside.jpg

But like I said, if you're going to be after a 300mm f/2.8 in future, this may be too small! (and it's pretty big)

edit: and with the tripod on the back:

tripod.jpg

http://www.tamrac.com/5618.htm

I love this bag. Carries everything listed below plus my 15.4" Dell laptop. Lot's of other things too (cables, disks, iPod, little notebooks, filters, etc.). You can put so much in it that it becomes too heavy to carry, but still holds up well. It cost me about $115 at my local camera shop. -- just checked and it's $100 on Amazon. Fits under seat and in overhead compartment when I fly, too. If you have a wheeled carryon, there is a slot for it to slide down over the handle to make it easy to carry.

It's also available in a slightly larger size with wheels:

http://www.tamrac.com/5261.htm

If waterproofing is essential, and a weather cover isn't good enough, the Dryzone 200 might fit the bill. They're hellishly expensive though (in the region of £300).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
hum ... I really do not know what are the best one out there. But I have this and it is a little less than $40 shipped from Amazon.

Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Backpac...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215996798&sr=8-1

From there you can see the photos of the backpack and the reviews.

I have the same backpack and love it for when I'm only carrying a few things around. I've had it for over a year and it is very durable. I don't find a pack easy to get into when I want to change things in a hurry.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the suggestions so far - the shoulder bag certainly looks big enough and I do know some wildlife photographers who do use them (a tent and such on the back makes no space for a camera) but alas I don't have a tent!
I have had a short look at some other bags - the Dryzone looks really good, but as mentioned hellishly expensive and as I am not much of a waterbaby I can't justify it to myself!
These two would appear to be of about the right size (guessinghere) and the slip attachements on the side would make space for a waterbottle
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Nature-Trekker%20AW%20II,1971.htm
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Vertex-300-AW,2074,16.htm
One think I have been wondering though is how much space there is for extras in these bags - a sandwitch would be nice along with a bar of chocolate to eat on walks

One think I have been wondering though is how much space there is for extras in these bags - a sandwitch would be nice along with a bar of chocolate to eat on walks

If I may be heretical for a moment -- I think a trip to your local camera store might be in order. Bring your gear. Pile it in. Try it on. See what feels good.

hehe I know that part - I just want to turn up with some idea of what I want ( and what it will cost me ;) ) so I don't look a complete fool - nothing worse than having a salesman show you the ideal bag and then find out its £100 more than you can afford

Most reactions

Back