Afternoon at the beach

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are some shots I took today at Leo Carrillo State Beach near LA. Most of the time was spent chasing the twins, but I got to sneak away to take a few shots. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

1. Sea grass at low tide

DSC_0515.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

2. Long daytime exposure with ND filter. If only I could have stayed another 1/2 hour for the sunset.

DSC_0596.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

3. A happy couple. They just got engaged and were having pics taken with a P&S. I was walking by with my tripod so they asked a few questions. I offered to take a few shots for them. Can you offer any suggestions to make this shot better? I've cropped it a bit, given it some fill-light for the jacket and boosted the vibrance.

DSC_0603.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

4. It seems everyone is taking photos at the beach.

DSC_0640.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

My first impressions FWIW...

#1. Nice image, the bottom half with the "green stuff" (grass, sea weed?) looks a little under-exposed and the green looks a little oversaturated.

#2. I like this one, but watch the placement of the horizon - it is almost right across the centre of the image, not quite but almost. (Rule of thirds) Also, I would try and lighten up the shadows on the left side of the rock in the right foreground.

#3. Not too bad, but the horizon in the background cuts right through their necks - sort of cuts them in half. The skin colour could use a little work - her face is a bit redder than her left hand and her right arm. As well, the sky is washed out.

#4. Looks to be a little underexposed for the most part. The half of a head in the upper right just above the rock should be cloned out - it is a distraction. I am going to assume that two of these young women in the image are not the twins you were chasing. ;)

My 0.02¢ worth - HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I'm a beginner (disclaimer), but I love the first two shots. The experts may be able to tell you how to make it better, but as they are, I would want them on my wall. Just Gorgeous!

(Not taking Mishele's thunder, she still reins Champion over Nicest Posts)

Looks like you had a really nice day! Would you be able to share your long exposure details? I had tried recently shooting with a 10stop ND and I did not get sharp results, I am trying to detemine what I might not have done correctly. There was some breeze at tht time, I am sure that I must take the strap off and I'd really appreciate knowing what your ND was, your settings , etc.

Where are the twins?:D

nice

#3 some fill flash and a faster shutter speed may have saved the background and made the couple pop

Thanks everyone!

WesternGuy, thanks for your comments. On the couple, It obviously shows that I'm still learning. They were already seated. I placed the horizon as low as I could get it (I was on a slope) and then started fumbling with the manual controls. I guess the easy answer would have been to ask the couple to stand up. At this stage, I can recognize just how many things go into taking a good picture, and I screw up at least a few of them.

2WheelPhoto: Thanks, I wish I had thought of that. I'm just learing to use flash.

Meekminx: Thanks. That, and a cup of coffee, just made my day.

GeorgieGirl: I have the Hoya 9 stop ND filter. That was my first time using it, so I don't really have any good tips. I got a lot of info on a web site talking about "black glass"....i'll try to find the link for you. I was able to see just enough to do a manual focus, otherwise, I would have focused and composed before putting on the filter (and locked it on manual focus). I probably would have composed the shot better had I put the filter on afterward. I used a self timer. I left the VR on, which was an oversight, it might have been sharper without it. The exposure was 30 seconds at F22, ISO 200 using a D90 with the kit 18-55.

Desi said:
GeorgieGirl: I have the Hoya 9 stop ND filter. That was my first time using it, so I don't really have any good tips. I got a lot of info on a web site talking about "black glass"....i'll try to find the link for you. I was able to see just enough to do a manual focus, otherwise, I would have focused and composed before putting on the filter (and locked it on manual focus). I probably would have composed the shot better had I put the filter on afterward. I used a self timer. I left the VR on, which was an oversight, it might have been sharper without it. The exposure was 30 seconds at F22, ISO 200 using a D90 with the kit 18-55.

Thanks for the insight. I have to study this more.

GeorgieGirl, this is the link to a great article on using "black glass".

"The Ultimate Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | RedBubble

This was posted by somebody here earlier. The gist is that getting the exposure right is all guesswork. The camera light-meter isn't accurate with these filters in place. When I tried using the meter, I just got a black image. For the above image, image, I went with a small aperture for depth of field and to get a long enough exposure to cover an entire wave coming in and out.

Mr. Pink: thanks for the edit. That looks cool in BW. I think it is a better treatment for the rocks, but I think the water loses something in BW. I'll give this conversion a try. Thanks for the idea.

Desi

Desi said:
GeorgieGirl, this is the link to a great article on using "black glass".

"The Ultimate Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | RedBubble

This was posted by somebody here earlier. The gist is that getting the exposure right is all guesswork. The camera light-meter isn't accurate with these filters in place. When I tried using the meter, I just got a black image. For the above image, image, I went with a small aperture for depth of field and to get a long enough exposure to cover an entire wave coming in and out.

Mr. Pink: thanks for the edit. That looks cool in BW. I think it is a better treatment for the rocks, but I think the water loses something in BW. I'll give this conversion a try. Thanks for the idea.

Desi

Thank you!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back