untitled-291.jpg

D750
f/2.8
ISO 5600
1/640 Sec.
70 - 200 mm - f/2.8E FL ED VR
200 mm

untitled-136.jpg

It Was My First Time Shooting At This Type Of Venue And Next Time I Can Do Better! Thanks For Looking Any Comments/Criticism Will Be Appreciated.

Enezdez

I think the composition is very nice in all of these photos. If it were my dog competing, I'd be happy with that part.

I think the challenge you've run into here is that in almost all of the photos, the apparatus the dog is jumping over is the focal point. What AF mode did you use? I think a lot of them default to whatever is the closest thing to the camera. I think maybe a single point selection might have helped here.

I think the composition is very nice in all of these photos. If it were my dog competing, I'd be happy with that part.

I think the challenge you've run into here is that in almost all of the photos, the apparatus the dog is jumping over is the focal point. What AF mode did you use? I think a lot of them default to whatever is the closest thing to the camera. I think maybe a single point selection might have helped here.

I think you may be correct & I also think a faster shutter speed may have helped - I had no reference point, I had never done it before...I used AF-C.

Thanks

Enezdez

Nice shots of a fast moving sport in what was probably tough lighting. All of the canine sports photographers that I've known will position themselves prior to runs so they can not only capture the dog in a dramatic manner (such as coming out of the tunnel, doing weaves, etc. But also with the background in mind. The 2nd and 4th photos have the "Purina" letters in the background plus a seated member of the course crew--which despite the bokeh I find distracting.

A few other hints...the dogs jumping at the shorter heights (like the first 4 shots), you really need to get down at their level for that shot to be stronger (difficult to do if you're in the stands). So go for dogs jumping 12-16-20 inch heights....you'll get more dramatic results. Also, for a dog going at speed, when they come out of the tunnel their feet are not flat on the ground of tunnel but instead will be partially not the tunnel wall--makes for a very dramatic shot. Ditto with a dog on any of the contact equipment.

Nice shots of a fast moving sport in what was probably tough lighting. All of the canine sports photographers that I've known will position themselves prior to runs so they can not only capture the dog in a dramatic manner (such as coming out of the tunnel, doing weaves, etc. But also with the background in mind. The 2nd and 4th photos have the "Purina" letters in the background plus a seated member of the course crew--which despite the bokeh I find distracting.

A few other hints...the dogs jumping at the shorter heights (like the first 4 shots), you really need to get down at their level for that shot to be stronger (difficult to do if you're in the stands). So go for dogs jumping 12-16-20 inch heights....you'll get more dramatic results. Also, for a dog going at speed, when they come out of the tunnel their feet are not flat on the ground of tunnel but instead will be partially not the tunnel wall--makes for a very dramatic shot. Ditto with a dog on any of the contact equipment.

Thanks will try and remember your helpful "hints" next time!

Enezdez

Most reactions

Back