Airport X-Rays

I got 7 rolls of film handchecked when leaving vegas.... and the lady examined my film for like 5 mins... she opened up each canister and looked around, I guess she was expected a razor blade.

I'm going to Singapore in about 20 days so tis is very timely. I noticed in the camera bag I borrowed from my grandpa, that he had a lead lined bag from his trip to singapore a few months ago. I should ask him how they found it. I am debating wether to use the bag or to just go ahead and get it all hand check. I do have a 20D but I am most defiently bringing my Pentax MX along for funn. I'm gone for a month so I'm bringing a lot of film... Do they open up every singal canister?

I don't think so... I had all of my film in black canisters and she just so happened to be a really really thorough type of worker. Oh well, didn't harm anything, it was just kinda irritating waiting.

Eric. said:
I'm going to Singapore in about 20 days so tis is very timely. I noticed in the camera bag I borrowed from my grandpa, that he had a lead lined bag from his trip to singapore a few months ago. I should ask him how they found it. I am debating wether to use the bag or to just go ahead and get it all hand check. I do have a 20D but I am most defiently bringing my Pentax MX along for funn. I'm gone for a month so I'm bringing a lot of film... Do they open up every singal canister?
They opened every single one of mine both ways when I went to Chicage. 17 rolls of film... Thats why I opted just to put the film in a bag. Much easier then waiting 30 minutes for your film.

I don't reckon there's any use in using the lead lined bags - they'd just turn up the power if they saw that or make you unpack everything anyway.

Eric, if you're going through singapore I'd be careful. I wouldn't bother with the bag and just ask them to hand check it. If they're not happy handchecking it, then they're not gonna let you put it through the machine in the bag. They have huuuuuge drug smuggling problems there so I'd just be as inconspicuous as possible and just ask them to hand check it. They'd probably say yes anyway. And if in doubt - just put one of those stickers on it like Photogoddess said.

I've put heaps of film through xray machines. A bunch of 35mm film ISO 200 and some MF film at ISO 100 i think (definitely not more than 200 - coz I never use more than 200). The rolls must've gone through about 4 x ray machines between museums in Paris and train stations and airports getting back to australia.
So i'd say - try and get it handchecked, but don't freak out if it gets x-rayed a couple of times. (And try hobbes idea of the guarantee!)

Meysha said:
Eric, if you're going through singapore I'd be careful. I wouldn't bother with the bag and just ask them to hand check it. If they're not happy handchecking it, then they're not gonna let you put it through the machine in the bag. They have huuuuuge drug smuggling problems there so I'd just be as inconspicuous as possible and just ask them to hand check it. They'd probably say yes anyway. And if in doubt - just put one of those stickers on it like Photogoddess said.

Thanks for the advice. I think that'll be easiest because between my dad and I we're going to have 3 camera bags with us! I think I might get a lowepro backpack though to cut down by 1 bag.

Handchecking it is!

I think it will vary from airport to airport. In the past, I would let it go through in a lead pouch then they would hand check it on the other side. Now, they refuse to handcheck my film and I always get special attention once my handcarry with a few lenses goes through. I now make it a point to get all my negatives processed ( no prints ) prior to flight.

Here's a question: I'm going to Austria on Saturday and have a camera with a half used film inside. The camera must obviously be put through the machine, so will it be damaged? The film inside is 400 ISO. Am I better off taking the film out and developing it and take a camera with nothing inside and a few rolls of film? After all, they only charge per photo developed, not by the whole roll.

EDIT: It's Heathrow to Salzburg then a national flight on a turbo prop to Innsbruck.

Can't answer your question, but - you're coming to Innsbruck? That's where I live. We don't have good weather here for the next week. We just had 36 degrees celcius yesterday but it's going to be a bad weather week coming up with only like 20 degrees celcius, so take some warm clothes with you.

What are you doing here in Innsbruck?

Bibos

Well, we're then heading over to Soelden on the border with Italy. Hoping to do lots of cycling and generally enjoying the scenery.

:)

Well if you like taking photographs of waterfalls you can head to Umhausen near Sölden and take a photo of the so called 'Stuibenfall' - the biggest waterfall in Tyrol.

Cheers for the suggestion...I'll see if I can get over there.

As for my question a post or two up, can anyone suggest what I should do?

If it's only going to be x-rayed twice, maybe 3 times max. I'd leave it in the camera. Anymore than 3 and I'd start to get worried, probably unnecessarily. But you could just rewind the film, remember what number you were up to, get them to hand check it, then when you get home use one of those film extractors to put the roll back in the camera.

Ta da. I used to do that all the time - especially when I wanted to just change rolls half way through.

I take my film in a lead bag- developed and uneveloped. I put it in the front pocket outside of the rest of my stuff. Then the "blob" is seperate and they only check that one pocket.

At least, that's been my experience twice when I've flown. The first time I flew I put it in my checked baggage- BIG MISTAKE!! Lost 10 rolls :cry:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back