Alaka'i Swamp Stairs - CC

Demers18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got back from an amazing vacation in Kauai, Hawaii and have my first set ready for CC.

These were taken on the Pihea Trail on the way down to the Alaka'i Swamp in Koke'e State Park. Must say it was quite the hike in there but it was fun.

I found these stairs quite interesting and decided to create a set.

CC very much welcome.

6810749234_d02607386c_b.jpg
[/URL] _MG_1988-Stairs by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

6956816253_9f396ceafb_b.jpg
[/URL] _MG_1974-Stairs by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

6810701650_0d9b29ee00_b.jpg
[/URL] _MG_1996-Stairs-BW by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

6956809671_c82f51606b_b.jpg
[/URL] _MG_1999-Stairs-BW by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

6810704116_63c174f51c_b.jpg
[/URL] _MG_1977-Stairs-BW by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm too tired to give a detailed crit, but I like #3 the most, then #2.

I'd like to see #3 in color. I like the color in these more than the B&W.

I'm too tired to give a detailed crit, but I like #3 the most, then #2.

I'd like to see #3 in color. I like the color in these more than the B&W.

You ask and you shall receive lol.

I went with the BW on these as I found the color versions backgrounds to be more distracting. Especially the plant by the first step on the right hand side.

6957714729_35cf2dff37_b.jpg
[/URL] _MG_1996-Stairs by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

I like #1 and #2 best. Is the Alaka'i Swamp worth seeing or is it more about the trail itself?

#1 was my favorite, I like the composition

I like #1 and #2 best. Is the Alaka'i Swamp worth seeing or is it more about the trail itself?

Thanks.

As for the hike, it really depends what you want to do. The trail itself is pretty demanding in some spots, especially with the weather that day and well, it is considered one of the wettest places on earth, so probably more often than not.

I think its definitely worth it, the views you get from the ridge are spectacular but the swamp itself, is well, a swamp. It is a fun hike though and if you're into bird watching there are a few species that live only in Kauai and you will pretty much only find in that area.

Yes i like #1, #2 and the last (color of #3) very much ...I think when too much of things filling image, B&W is not a good option... except on some rare instances

Regards :D

Over all a nice set. I don't really like the B&W's as the wood steps vs the swamp is all about color contrasts. Pic's 1 & the last color picture are my favorites. Haven't been back to Hawaii in 30 years. Doesn't look like we'll ever get back in this life time.

Frequency said:
Yes i like #1, #2 and the last (color of #3) very much ...I think when too much of things filling image, B&W is not a good option... except on some rare instances

Regards :D

Thanks Frequency.

I'll keep that in mind for the BW

Joel_W said:
Over all a nice set. I don't really like the B&W's as the wood steps vs the swamp is all about color contrasts. Pic's 1 & the last color picture are my favorites. Haven't been back to Hawaii in 30 years. Doesn't look like we'll ever get back in this life time.

Thanks Joel!

This is our second time in 3 years. We fell in love with the place and planned this trip a year and a half in advance to save up. I hope you get the chance again one day as it truly is paradise.

I'm soo excited to hear about your trip and see LOTS of pictures!
Aaahhhh!! Those stairs!! lol How muddy did you get?
I actually really liked the swamp part of the hike!! It was very peaceful and something you just can not see everyday!! You know the poles that you prolly saw while hiking through the swamp....those were for phone lines. lol During WW2 they were afraid that communication could be cut off from one side of the island to the other if it were attacked. I had to read up on it after the hike, I couldn't understand why poles were there. =)
I like the color photos better. The messy backgrounds let me know where you are. You're in the jungle baby!!
How was your veiw at the vista?

I'm soo excited to hear about your trip and see LOTS of pictures!
Aaahhhh!! Those stairs!! lol How muddy did you get?
I actually really liked the swamp part of the hike!! It was very peaceful and something you just can not see everyday!! You know the poles that you prolly saw while hiking through the swamp....those were for phone lines. lol During WW2 they were afraid that communication could be cut off from one side of the island to the other if it were attacked. I had to read up on it after the hike, I couldn't understand why poles were there. =)
I like the color photos better. The messy backgrounds let me know where you are. You're in the jungle baby!!
How was your veiw at the vista?

Thanks Mishele,

We got muddy alright lol. It started raining once we got the stream before you get to the swamp. On the way back we were dealing with streams as pathways and within that same 24 hour time span we 8 inches of rain. We were actually quite lucky to make it back to the house as they block off the road to Hanalei when the river, at the bottom of these mountains, gets to high from the rain. Was still a really fun experience. I have pictures of some of the streams before it started raining too hard to take the camera out again.

We also didn't make too far into the swamp as we were limited on time as we took too much of it at the beginning as the person I was hiking with, wife's uncle, is an avid bird watcher and we both were doing our thing. I have to admit I've a new found respect for bird or wildlife photographers. They be some some hard things to shoot. I saw a couple of those poles but didn't really think much else of them, pretty neat that's what they were used for.

As for the vista, I'm assuming you mean the beginning of the trail on the ridge? I'm happy I took photos at the beginning of the hike as you can see the clouds creeping in more and more as we were starting the hike. I could pretty much show you the sequence as I took pictures of how they were coming in and by the end we were in the clouds and watching them cross the ridge. Let's put it this way, not something you see everyday. I took one shot that I was soo happy about on the viewfinder after I took it but now on the computer I can't seem to get it right... I'll post it but I'm not quite done with it yet and would be open to suggestions.

And yes jungle is right and if you were to get lost in one this would be it!

Here are the two photo's

#1 I need to find a way to remove that branch properly.... I've tried but it's not coming out the way I want. I've been itching to see these on my CPU and have been disappointed in the results.

6960984603_c6c863745e_b.jpg
[/URL] _MG_1840-Ridge by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

6814870618_a402f77967_b.jpg
[/URL] _MG_1839-Ridge-2 by lee.demers, on Flickr[/IMG]

Edit: I still love the way the clouds are adding depth and caracter to the mountains but for some reason I feel like I must have been caught up in the moment of being there and seeing these clouds turn into a storm... Oh well, there's always next time

Color version of #3 = my favorite. I like the color contrast between the live and dead foliage. The steps going behind the tree speak of how that path really moves through the forest- like it is alive itself, which I don't doubt.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back