Alas, poor Mamiya. I knew it well, Horatio.

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by mrca, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bribrius

bribrius Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The light placement on the left blew out the back of the camera by the looks of it. Just bright white. I like the softness of background. It is a well cliched pose (but what isn't?). It does look like a "true black" least i like the tone. The image , i dunno? Seems a little bland for me in a way. And a little corny. Though probably better than i could do. I guess i should think about it a bit more. Like, compared to some stuff out there, but just doesnt really dazzle. It is totally counting on camera quality, lens quality. Not that artistic. But i think that was the point he was driving home. What he was saying. His point.

The failure in it might be, without knowing ahead of time his point, or knowing the reason for what he is holding what he is, or the camera taking the photo in comparison. Without this information the photo lacks any story or merit. Explanation cards would be needed or they just see a guy staring at something.. It isn't sustaining itself independently, and actually kind of looks corny without the history and explanation.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. bribrius

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well it ain't THAT bad geez, just has a point to it somewhat what obscure imo.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bribrius

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good photo. On the story line, you had to tell everyone what it was about and for. So you already know its shortcomings without anyone mentioning it. A further explanation is normal, but usually the viewer has some idea without the explanation. Maybe if you wrote down "this is what i want to say". Then brainstormed the best way to get what you wanted to say through to the viewer, camera angles, positioning, maybe not even shooting the shot with the 850 but having both those cameras and you positioned in the frame to help tell the story. A creative camera angle. Creative positioning. I dunno. Still a good shot, but you might have missed your mark on getting your story through. My credentials? None. I am in a little art association and thats about it,

4. mrca

mrca No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Eviscerated my ass. He represents what went wrong in photography in the early 2000's with the advent of digital. Math, computer, engineering people took over and think they are artists. That arrogant blow hard is proudly a math and computer guy living in washington state. Just the folks I run to for art advice... if I think a spread sheet or blue print is art. He rambles on about construction and calculus. Jeez. I'll put my worst work against his crap any day especially after looking at his work. He says "Now, if you're just here because I pissed you off somewhere and you want to see some pictures so you can confirm your already formed opinion that I suck, well, I can point you to a few posts that contain pictures. " Hmm, is he one of those that has no life and gets off pissing others off? I do agree with him on one thing, he takes crappy pictures. He also says "I'm a cranky old bastard who has been taking crappy pictures for 20 years or so. I'm full of opinions and ideas about photography, but not terribly good at putting them into practice. So it goes." No shoot sherlock. So he admits he takes crappy pictures? I wonder why? His policy page says "Insults, veiled, in-jest, or otherwise, to other commenters will get your comment dropped silently. " A typical washington flaming lib, spewing personal attacks with nothing to base it on and cries to mommie or deletes their post if anyone responds. Take a look at his photos. Pure crap. This incompetent is critiquing my work? Just another loser with a blog and the idiots that actually think his crap is worthwhile reading it. Are you agreeing with him, Derrel? Look at this jack arse's work, you think he knows what he is talking about or the idiots that would waste time on such a blog? He's should stick to calculus or computers, hopefully he is more knowledgeable in that area. If you think this crap ticks me off, you are right. I take photography seriously, have mastered the craft well enough to have won and judged professional competitions and headed the mentor program for PPA in northern CA. This guys credentials are he has a big mouth and arrogantly seeks an audience for his apparently often irritating comments when he can't take a decent photo.

5. mrca

Photos NOT OK to edit
    bribrius, thanks for your constructive criticism. The reason I take the time to give explanations is to toss out concepts for others to consider that they might not otherwise. My mentor years ago would do that with me and send me down paths I never would have explored. EG. He asked why I hung 2 lights outdoors. He said had beautiful soft light from a rare overcast day. He asked if I had considered subtracting light from the shadow side to kick up the contrast ratio. A tree, black jacket or reflector cover and would have gotten soft edge shadows I already had, just a larger ratio. Because that mentor took his time with me, I try to pass on things to others on this site, honoring his tradition of freely passing on his knowledge to others. Unfortunately, the keyboard jackasses can be annoying and I have seen many of the folks I respect just not bother any longer. I am a member of a professional organization and the rude, idiotic comments aren't seen on that site. The other reason I explain my photos, and I have had this discussion with Joe McNally whose magazine covers have to be universally understood, is my photos are usually for clients and are inspired by their personalities, lifestyles, relationships and often incorporate symbols that might be missed if I didn't explain them. My background is literature, western art and creative writing. It separates me from photographers who simply take recognizable photos or pretty pictures. For example here, how many folks do you think know the grave yard scene in hamlet? I'm guessing a small percentage.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Create a few paragraphs and create some visual breaks that indicate to the readers where one idea ends and another begins, and your comments will be understood better, and I daresay, more people will actually read your posts.

Do I agree with him? Well, he actually has a few ideas that are correct about the post, and the photo. And he has a few ideas that are complete bullshit. So there you have it. Yes and no. If you want a big circle jerk, and everybody agreeing with you, I'm not your guy.I do understand photographic lighting and technique, and I think _you_ did extremely good lighting. However your response to the first critique was way overboard and makes you look like a blowhard. The guy that takes all the toilet photos doesn't light nearly as well as you do. But you came back awfully strong on his initial post. I do understand photographic lighting and technique, and I think he did extremely good lighting. However your response to the first critique was way overboard and makes you look like a crank.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  7. mrca

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Derrel, I am taking my time to write these posts for free so don't spend anymore time than I have to in throwing out ideas. I don't expect a circle jerk, but I don't appreciate tactless, nasty critique especially from someone who doesn't have a clue and whose critique is totally off base. Arrogant and stupid is a terrible combination. I am not one to let insults lie. He does good lighting? I didn't see any on his bullshit blog. What was "extremely good?" He takes underexposed snapshots then think it is art because it is black and white and by his own admission takes "crappy" photos. I have seen many friends whose work I respect and posts I used to admire leave sites like this because of the keyboard jackasses. It is a loss to the others on the site and was a loss to me as I learned much from them but they got fed up with the aholes who don't have a clue and don't know what they don't know. It leaves those with some knowledge to be big fish in a little pond. I guess I am learning about what to expect from this site and need to spend more time with another site strictly for professionals. Folks there actually have a clue and communicate professionally, not like adolescent jerks with LDS, little dick syndrome.

8. DanOstergren

DanOstergren Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I might have just sprained my eyes from rolling them so hard.

I don’t see this as a critique, this was a pathetic attempt to unnecessarily take the OP “down a notch”, and to start an argument.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. DanOstergren

Photos OK to edit
    The guy who writes this blog is a known, pathetic troll who gets his enjoyment out of saying awful things about others and hoping they will see his words and have an emotional reaction. I’ll repeat it: he is pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. DanOstergren

Photos OK to edit
    I think it’s an exquisite photograph. A well deserved “best in show”, and I enjoyed your reference to Shakespeare and Yorick.

The commentary on cameras going obsolete is also something I enjoy about this shot. Thank you for sharing your process behind the photograph.

As far as the lighting goes, it sculpts you well and is definitely not “flat”. If it were flat, your cheekbones and jawline would have no definition, however you used the light to sculpt your features, which to me checks off as great portrait lighting. I like the use of the subtle backlight as well.

When anyone here knows what they’re talking about and has the talent and skill to back up their words, there’s inevitably that person who attempts to “put them in their place” because for some reason they feel threatened. Don’t defend yourself here, it’s an uphill battle and the trolls always seem to be given the benefit of the doubt by the moderators (but I adore them just the same <3 ). I suggest just saying “cool thanks for the feedback” instead of giving them the argument and emotional response that they’re trying to get from you. You don’t need to defend your work because your work really speaks for itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mrca

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dan, thanks for your kind words. I appreciate it because I have admired your comments and shots. It's nice to see someone who understands what I do. It's folks like you that keep me posting. We all take our time to help one another so when jerks appear, I don't appreciate them. I don't note trolls so appreciate your info. I guess I should just ignore them and leave them fat, dumb and happy and not get sucked into their little dance.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DanOstergren

Photos OK to edit

Yes, show them gratitude and they will hate you even more for it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.