Alien

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Spent a day in the everglades, but always with at least 1 three year old hanging off me. On the way back I managed to get a few short minutes to shoot.

The first is my favorite, but the focus is a bit soft. Not sure how to make the composition better. The second is for comparison. Aperture priority f5.6, 1/80 sec, iso100, for both. Shot at approximately 300 mm on a crop sensor.

Any thoughts? I'm new to shooting alligators. The tail just seemed otherworldly to me.

1. Alligator at Shark Valley, Florida (Not sure where they get the word "valley" from)

DSC_0186.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

DSC_0187.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

I think I prefer #2; the sharpness is easier on my eyes, but I especially like the swirls in the water, and the more horizontal composition. This image has a greater sense of movement, also - fewer static elements. And there are fewer distractions, such as the submerged alligator body and the white debris floating around in the first image.

Oh and, your statement "...Shark Valley, Florida (Not sure where they get the word "valley" from)" made me laugh. Ya, where in the Florida swamp could anyone possibly find a valley! hehe..

def agree about the horizontal composition!!! :)
just out of curiosity, why is the first one your favorite?
they're both very similar but I think what I like better about the second is simply that its more in center. sharper too
:) both very cool though

I think I prefer #2; the sharpness is easier on my eyes, but I especially like the swirls in the water, and the more horizontal composition. This image has a greater sense of movement, also - fewer static elements. And there are fewer distractions, such as the submerged alligator body and the white debris floating around in the first image.

Oh and, your statement "...Shark Valley, Florida (Not sure where they get the word "valley" from)" made me laugh. Ya, where in the Florida swamp could anyone possibly find a valley! hehe..

Thanks for your comments Jaemie and Camerateur. I like the first shot for the richer greens that I was able to get, and I liked the stillness of the water. I think those things may give the alligator a more sinister feel, but maybe the feeling of movement in the second shot accomplishes that more effectively. Unfortunately, I basically missed the shot as I didn't compose it as well and the focus was a but off. I can't wait to go back. When the kids are older, I'll actually get to spend some time in the park.

Most reactions

Back