Alissa- Model Portraits

Not really a fan, In my opinion you are capable and have done much better work. Maybe the lighting and studio did put you off. Posing is kind of,, eh... These are still nice though and generally I think well of your work and believe you can put out exceptional work you have the talent.. I think I agree with you on the natural light to Dan. And while I am at it let me commend you for being such a humble man and taking the time to explain your work to us and your continued posts here. Seems you are maturing character wise, not just work wise into being quite the artist.
Thanks.

I like the color version of this shot more, but the JPEG artifacts just kill the shot for me.
img_4346color_by_danostergren-d87v5yr.jpg

I love these, Dan.

#1 is particularly good. You really captured something in her eyes, there and the shadows of the blinds provide a really intimate feel to the whole scene.

Your strobe shots are also great, but you are clearly are much more comfortable using natural light - I think that's great. I'm generally the opposite, needing total control over light power. I always feel like I'm fighting natural light rather than working with it, which you seem to have totally nailed.

I also think the sitting down pose had great potential, but I may have asked her to exaggerate her posture a bit by leaning forward a bit more, pushing her chest out and locking those arms out. As it is, it has a slight non-committed feel about it, but I love the BW conversion. Her face is beautifully highlighted.

You're putting some really nice work on here, mate; you really shouldn't be nervous about posting. Really, it's excellent stuff.

I love these, Dan.

#1 is particularly good. You really captured something in her eyes, there and the shadows of the blinds provide a really intimate feel to the whole scene.

Your strobe shots are also great, but you are clearly are much more comfortable using natural light - I think that's great. I'm generally the opposite, needing total control over light power. I always feel like I'm fighting natural light rather than working with it, which you seem to have totally nailed.

I also think the sitting down pose had great potential, but I may have asked her to exaggerate her posture a bit by leaning forward a bit more, pushing her chest out and locking those arms out. As it is, it has a slight non-committed feel about it, but I love the BW conversion. Her face is beautifully highlighted.

You're putting some really nice work on here, mate; you really shouldn't be nervous about posting. Really, it's excellent stuff.

I also liked #1, something about it just pulls me in!:applouse::applause:

I'm glad you guys like them, and thank you for the feedback Forkie.

Just curious, on the first one, does the 'before' have the same color temp. that you imported and used in the final version?

I ask, because that's some pretty intense color correcting/grading using curves and whatnot lol

Just curious, on the first one, does the 'before' have the same color temp. that you imported and used in the final version?

I ask, because that's some pretty intense color correcting/grading using curves and whatnot lol
Unfortunately I shot all of these in JPEG, so yes.

I like the color version of this shot more, but the JPEG artifacts just kill the shot for me.
img_4346color_by_danostergren-d87v5yr.jpg

Great work Dan. The only thing I don't like is the skin softening in this one. I think its a little strong on the face. An opacity drop would fix it for me, but!!!! It's still a great photo as is.

The seated monochrome one nails it for me ... there's something about the pose I'm not sure about, but the lighting on her face is just beautiful to me.

~got to post #14 for a glimpse into the editing technique used on these photos~

I've been working pretty closely with a clothing designer all Summer, and this weekend we did our fifth collaboration. This shoot and the last shoot we did together have really pushed me out of my comfort zone since both times we shot in studio, and I normally use natural light exclusively. This time the designer rented some really nice profoto strobes and a beauty dish at my request. At one point during the shoot though I unplugged the strobes and used the light coming through the window. Honestly while I like the photos with the strobes, I still prefer the natural light shots I ended up capturing a lot more than the studio ones. Anyways, I'll let you decide which ones you like best.

Another interesting fact about these photos: the designer rented a camera as well, and I assumed it was set to shoot in RAW. When I got home and uploaded them to my computer, my heart sank really hard when I realized that they were all in JPEG format. Big lesson learned; I will never shoot again without double-checking this obvious detail. So, if you notice any banding (mostly in the studio shots), that would be why. Now pardon me while I go kick myself in the arse again for making that stupid mistake. I lucked out this time that the designer doesn't want to print these; the whole point of this shoot was for sharing the images on facebook and instagram.

Here are a couple of the shots captured with the light coming in through a window with the silver side of a reflector for fill:

EOS 5D MKII
85mm @ f/3.2
1/166th sec
ISO 500
alissa_by_danostergren-d87hgxq.jpg

EOS 5D MKII
50mm @ f/4.5
1/83rd sec
ISO 320
alissa_by_danostergren-d87d12v.jpg

These are a couple of the shots using a beauty dish:

EOS 5D MKII
85mm @ f/16
1/128th sec
ISO 100
alissa_by_danostergren-d87gvzp.jpg

EOS 5D MKII
85mm @ f/16
1/128th sec
ISO 100
alissa_by_danostergren-d87puv5.jpg

Here are a couple of before/after retouches:

untitled_by_danostergren-d87lga3.jpg

untitled_by_danostergren-d87pw62.jpg
These are really nice....good job! I especially like number one.

3 and 4 are exceptional. Always a joy to see your work!

very nice Dan... loving the tones... only crit is #1 her eyes are a tad over brightened

Most reactions

New Topics

Back