All these technical/specification stuff confuses me

berlinbelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I'm new here. I'm a photography student at Memphis College of Art. Though
I've only been doing photography for about 5 months, I'm head over heels in love with it. Anyways, I'm looking to buy a new camera. I have just a (really) cheap phoenix p-5000 camera and it is not sufficient anymore. I also think that I am ready for a flash (I've never used flash before) and a macro lens (most of my photographs are close-up still life types), but I have no clue how to begin shopping around for any of these things. I've tried doing a little shopping on my own, but so far I've failed miserably (as you can already see by my previous camera). So, as far as a camera I was thinking this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/112196-GREY/Nikon_1689_FM10_Camera_Kit_with.html

What type of flash coordinates with this and is good for a beginner like me, because I read up on dedicated flash vs. nondedicated and I'm confused than before?
Also how do you know if a lens/flash will fit with your camera? And what type of macro lens do you suggest for me?
Lastly I'm on a budget (being a college student and all) so what are some cheap places I could buy all this stuff, internet or otherwise?

Thank you a lot! All help is appreciated!

basically man...all SLR bodies are the same when you're shooting with film. (within reason) It's all in the lenses. But again ...sometimes you're limited by the mount that the camera uses...and that's usually the biggest factor.

Anything canon or Nikon should be good if you're only shooting film. They make plenty of lenses for both brands...just spend a decent amount on something solid and quality.

Shopping at B&H is the way to go - they are really as cheap as possible, anything substantially more affordable is either a fluke or probably a scam.

That Nikon is a lovely camera, and EVERY photography conceivable is possible with lenses that fit that camera.

HOWEVER: I'm not a Nikon guy, so I don't have their lens selection committed to memory. Others here will need to comment on that.

I also prefer to shoot only with available light (without flash) so I ALSO can't help you with that.

The Nikon F series of film cameras are very good!
The Canon EOS 5, 3, 1 are also very good cameras and quite modern in design.
You may wish to go for older models, which you could get really cheap second hand and have tonnes of cheap quality lenses to choose from.
I use my old pentax more than my canon eos 5 for film, since the pentax takes all screw mount lenses.
But I also have a M42 adapter for my canon bodies and can use the screw mount lenses on them.
The options are endless... and I don't think I've helped much. Sorry. :)

Hi and welcome to the forum!

With all the great deals on used film cameras out there I don't know why you would want to by a new one.

Do yourself a huge favor and look on e-bay and get a Nikon N90s (it uses AA batteries. do get the 90s and not the 90) for around $100 and a 50mm f1.8 and you will have a much better setup. O&BTW it's got a Magnesium alloy body and is more likely to stand up to college life. ;)

You should be able to find extension tubes for $20 or so that will allow you to take some great Macro shots!

All of this together should run you around $250. As to the flash, an Sb 25 or 26 should do (I don't remember if the Sb 24 was before or after the N90s although it would probably work). An Sb 28 would be best and last I checked they were going for around $100.

mike

If you can't find a 90s or even a 90 (unlikely) look for an N8008s (with spot meter) or an N8008. These are also labeled F801s and F801 in the international market.

I would definitely not buy that FM10. Unless you really want to throw lots of your money at B&H and Nikon ;)

Why?
Firstly, because it won't really do anything your cheap Phenix won't do. It's another basic manual film SLR. The Nikon will let you use any lens for the Nikon F-mount; the Phenix will let you use any lens for the Pentax K-mount.
Secondly, because it won't even look or feel that much better. It's another plastic SLR, and it's not even a real Nikon! (It's a Cosina).
Finally, because it's a new camera, and there really is no reason at all to spend $230 on a new camera when you could buy a really good film SLR body - one that has much better build, metering etc - used for the same price or less.

You could spend your money on a much better body (Gizmo and Mike have given some good examples; there are also plenty of others by Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Olympus...)... or you could spend most of the money on that flash and equipment for macro work that you want. Either way I would not get the FM10 and not new from B&H, since that would be a sideways move and a very expensive one.

Most reactions

Back