Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Street photography is a bit strange in Paris as it is nominally 'illegal.'

I was there for 2 weeks in September and hope to go back.

lovealongseineP9210101-Edit-2.jpg

Nice shot, just use a long lens no problem.............

Nice shot, just use a long lens no problem.............

Thanks for looking and taking time to comment.
Using a long lens would just make me more obvious.

A long lens means you’re further away, no one would know what you’re taking a picture of, unless they understand something about photography or are looking directly into your lens. However a crop camera or mirrorless with a prime makes you less visible then if you walk around with a FF with a massive lens attached to it and they might not take it as offensively as they most certainly would If they notice that your taking a picture of them with a pro camera and lens, the latter can really piss them off.

Yes France have quite strict regulation, so you should always ask for permission, especially if you intend to use them online and definitely if you intend to make a profit of it. You can really get into serious trouble if you don’t.

And no means no, so if you have taken a picture and they ask you not to, delete it, even if it’s a winning shot..

Regarding the picture I would probably have blurred the background just a tiny bit more, that would have made the couple stand a bit more out from the background. I would probably also edit the black hair out and the cranes too.

Last edited:
A long lens means you’re further away, no one would know what you’re taking a picture of, unless they understand something about photography or are looking directly into your lens. However a crop camera or mirrorless with a prime makes you less visible then if you walk around with a FF with a massive lens attached to it and they might not take it as offensively as they most certainly would If they notice that your taking a picture of them with a pro camera and lens, the latter can really piss them off.

Yes France have quite strict regulation, so you should always ask for permission, especially if you intend to use them online and definitely if you intend to make a profit of it. You can really get into serious trouble if you don’t.

And no means no, so if you have taken a picture and they ask you not to, delete it, even if it’s a winning shot..

Regarding the picture I would probably have blurred the background just a tiny bit more, that would have made the couple stand a bit more out from the background. I would probably also edit the black hair out and the cranes too.

Thanks.
I never ask permission to shoot, that removes all spontaneity from any shot.
My lens of choice is a 24-70 FF equivalent; at full extension, it still doesn't have the flattening effect that longer focal lengths have.

LL

Thanks.
I never ask permission to shoot, that removes all spontaneity from any shot.
My lens of choice is a 24-70 FF equivalent; at full extension, it still doesn't have the flattening effect that longer focal lengths have.

LL

Asking permission doesn’t have to be before it can happen after a shot.

Asking permission doesn’t have to be before it can happen after a shot.

I don't sell pictures and rarely post.
Asking permission to take a picture after I've taken a shot would take a good deal of time and, tbh, in this world of ubiquitous phone cameras, seems like a nod to silly rules that don't mean anything in the real world.
In general, I'm not going to ask permission and, in 15+ years of taking street photos, I can recall asking perhaps 2 or 3 times.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back