Alright, I need all these technical terms explained

NielsGade

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Reading wikipedia about all of this is like learning how a combustion engine works in 2 days. Alot of it is technical, and I get really really easily confused.

canon-EOS-450D-XSi-3.jpg

f5.6
What does this mean? I know that if I change it, it becomes either darker or lighter.
A-Dep
Alright, something with focus.
-2..1..|..1..+2
This also makes things brighter or darker
ISO100
I know that the lower this is, the less "dirt". Also something with brightness.

Oh also, where it says ( 100) it changes randomly. And sometimes I can't change pictures because of it apparently.

This LCD screen shot is from some specific Canon camera model ...

f5.6 is referring to the aperture size currently being used by the lens.

A-Dep ... hmm I think this is a Canon feature that I cannot explain (as I am a Sony DSLR user)

+-2 ... this appears to be the amount of Exposure Compensation set

ISO refers to the light sensitivity level of the CCD/CMOS sensor. The lower the number the less sensitivity, but generally higher quality. If you increase the ISO of a sensor it can add more "noise" to the image.

as for the (100) and changing randomly...

that is how many pictures you have left to take. the reason it changes (somewhat) randomly is because the camera is set as taking RAW + JPG. The camera is doing its best to guess how big the files will be that you will be taking, and estimating how many pictures you can take. Depending on the composition of the photos, the file size will be slightly different, which would change how much free space is on the card, and how many photos you can take.

Hope that made sense.

You got your camera manual?
If so read it - then read it again - then read it and play with the camera - all the terms and stuff are inside and its well worth reading to help you understand. If you don't have the manual your camera company will have downloadable copies on their website.

Also I would strongly recomend getting and reading the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson - it will got into more detail about taking exposures and is aimed at entry level people (I should know I was one once)

Check out the threads at the top of this forum that have "Sticky:" in front of them. They should answer all of your questions. I'd also recommend one of the books mentioned there titled Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It does a good job at explaining all of these.

Edit: Looks like some people beat me to the punch while I was typing...

Guys the changing 100 I think he means is hte upper one which refers to your ISO - also it sounds like its in auto ISO mode - check your manual for how to control this feature on your camera

i have to +1 overread.. everything you have just asked is in your manual.. and +1 to getting understanding exposure

Yeah, it's canon eos 450d.

So what does it change if I change it? Brightness? Focus? DoF?

+-2 ... this appears to be the amount of Exposure Compensation set
'
what

ISO refers to the light sensitivity level of the CCD/CMOS sensor. The lower the number the less sensitivity, but generally higher quality. If you increase the ISO of a sensor it can add more "noise" to the image.
So high = bad

i have to +1 overread.. everything you have just asked is in your manual.. and +1 to getting understanding exposure

Yeah I know it says it in the manual, but as I said, it's all really technical, and I'm not a technical person.

that is how many pictures you have left to take. the reason it changes (somewhat) randomly is because the camera is set as taking RAW + JPG. The camera is doing its best to guess how big the files will be that you will be taking, and estimating how many pictures you can take. Depending on the composition of the photos, the file size will be slightly different, which would change how much free space is on the card, and how many photos you can take.

Hope that made sense.
perfect, thanks

Try getting one of the lantern guides specific to your camera brand and model. They are very helpful and in a far less technical way than the manual. Amazon.com should have one.

Yeah, it's canon eos 450d.

So what does it change if I change it? Brightness? Focus? DoF?

'
what

So high = bad

Yeah I know it says it in the manual, but as I said, it's all really technical, and I'm not a technical person.

Hope that made sense.
perfect, thanks
To answer your questions here would require writing a book. You got that book with your camera. READ YOUR CAMERA MANUAL. It has the answers to all those questions. The bonus is, it has answers to questions you don't yet know to ask.

Alright, I guess I'll have to take it one page at a time. Thanks guys.

Most reactions

Back