Alright Newbies.... What's Your 5 Year Plan?

I am not really a newbie... But I am nowhere near the skill level needed to be a professional... I am more of an amateur and enthusiast than anything.

However, I do hope that between now and five years I can at least make a bit of money through photography.

Although, I must say that I enjoy digital much more than I did Film. I've improved my PP skills a lot over the last few years and saved a LOT on film since I went digital.

But realistically... Its a hobby and thats mostly how I intend to keep it. Hard to say what the future will bring for me and photography...

Year one: home darkroom

Year happily ever after: photos for personal enjoyment.

My only plan or the moment is to let the little bit of money I'm making from photography right now turn into more money so I can support my gear from it.

My ultimate goal involves opening a multipurpose space that involves a gallery and a few other of my passions rolled into one. I do not want to give away my business model though. I guess between now and then, I would like to have a showing of a themed series in a gallery and would also like to win atleast 1 fairly big photo contest and get published atleast once per year ( or the average, even if I get published 5 times in year 4. haha ) I am just barely past year one. So I have a ways to go.

Y1: shoot sum pics
Y2: same as the previous year
Y3: same as the previous year
Y4: same as the previous year
Y5: same as the previous year

This is an interesting thread!! I haven't thought TOO terribly hard about this because I don't plan on making a full time business with it. For now I'm just having a blast with it, and if I improve enough maybe I'll make it into a little side business... but I won't charge anyone a penny until I can make outstanding images. I'm def. not there yet! It's my pet peeve to see people being charged for less than quality images, especially for once in a lifetime events like weddings.
Errrm... sorry, end rant:blushing:

Photography is my hobby. I plan to have fun with it and hopefully learn a few things in the bargain. And, I hope it keeps me amused for more than five years.

5 year plan includes learning as much as I can while making a bit of side money to support my addiction, ummm I mean hobby! haha
But, since my husband is military, where/when/how/what that is going to happen can change hour by hour.
Moved 5 times in 6 years, so right now I just want to learn and then when I think I am comfortable with something, go back and relearn it.
I'm getting on pretty good at the studio. Learning about how to set up lights for different looks, networking big time. Have a big base of models, make up artist, and hairstylist and photographers number and names in my cell phone.

This month I am planning my very own shoot, all on my own. It is for a hair clip business, I've got the models, make up artist and hair stylist scheduled. I'm very excited to see how I can learn from this experience!

Year 1: come up with a 5 year plan.
Year 2: come up with a 5 year plan.
Year 3: come up with a 5 year plan.
Year 4: come up with a 5 year plan.
Year 5: screw the 5 year plan.

:thumbup:

Crap ..... it's gonna take me 5 years to figure out Photoshop !!

r

Most reactions

Back