NikiYo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ohgoodgoods.tictail.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys,

Recently I’m ready to buy a camera before I always use iPhone to taken photos, that’s okay but I want to start a series career you know, go art direction, street shoot, fashion series etc.

I’m a designer, basically, I’m a newbie in the photography field. So I’m indeed a bit confusing about camera choose.

I really need your help and tips.

However, I use the camera mainly for below directions:

* art direction

* street shoot (yeah I love street photography), travel,lifestyle etc.

* fashion shoot, I’m also a fashion style blogger, fashion brands model and also my personal fashion brand model. So I need camera for lookbook something like this.

* taken photo shoot for my work so I can scan to the computer. I draw a lot, make collages, also make some craft object. But the iPhone shoot not very clearly and professionally.

* I’m super love black and white photography. During past time I have taken lots of bw photos via my iPhone. Color photos also my type just more passion for bw tho.

*I’m also passionate for shooting portrait, I’m planning start a long-term ongoing project that self portrait , to capture every moment of myself.

*I’ll set a mini-photoshoot studio scene in my home(mainly for art direction, work shoot, food styling, self portrait, my clothing line lookbook etc. so any related accessories and tools recommend would be great as well.

So I have some questions:

1. based on my above directions, do you have any camera recommend?

2. What’s the most and core points when choosing a camera I should consider?

3. my budget is below $1800, $2000 is my upper limit. So is there any good fit camera?

4. Ideally, I’ll take the camera anywhere while I go out or travel, so I know lighter more better. BUT based on my above directions, do you think should I buy an SLR camera or Mirrorless camera?Any camera recommend?

5. I attached some of my fav photography, please forgive my silly question, but is this possible to see which camera they used? I love these style and color tone too much. Here the reference link: https://www.pinterest.com/nikistudio/for-camera-reference/

6. Or, how about buying a second-hand camera body + new lens? If this possible?

Well I guess for now that’s it.

Really really appreciate you guys help. Big thanks in advance.

Let me know if you have any question or anywhere not clearly, and sorry for my English :)

-N

Last edited:
As you will find out it's more about the person behind the camera....the pictures you are referring to could be taken with anything from Nikon, Canon, Sony etc.....Don't think that selecting one brand over another is going to allow for this style of photography, that isn't how it works.....It's much more important to learn about composition and practice with your camera no matter which one you decide on. My uncle who retired as a wedding photographer for instance will shoot with his Nikon D60 and a 35mm lens at our family gatherings and get amazing pictures that people can't believe....It's just because he knows how to work the room and understands the available light and where to position himself, getting low for some shots etc and take incredible shots...

I would start by figuring out what camera system you would like to use....maybe rent a few bodies and prime lenses from a local camera store, see how they feel to you....With modern cameras you really can't go wrong with either system.....I personally shot with Sony, Nikon & Canon.....Sony for about a month as it wasn't for me, Nikon for 15 years and now shooting with Canon. In the end nobody can tell what body or brand I was using to capture the shot, some were DX bodies and others were FX.....Either rent a few bodies or just handle some in the store and see what you like...To get shots in those samples you posted you will need to study light and learn how to light your subject properly...Looks like several of those are high key shots so lighting is key no matter what your subject. Nikon 7100 or 7200, 750 with a couple prime lenses would be a great set up or a Canon 7D Marl II, 80D, 5D Mark III.....new or used with a few prime lenses would be a great start.

Hi guys,

Recently I’m ready to buy a camera before I always use iPhone to taken photos, that’s okay but I want to start a series career you know, go art direction, street shoot, fashion series etc.

I’m a designer, basically, I’m a newbie in the photography field. So I’m indeed a bit confusing about camera choose.

* art direction

* fashion shoot, I’m also a fashion style blogger, fashion brands model and also my personal fashion brand model. So I need camera for lookbook something like this.

* taken photo shoot for my work so I can scan to the computer. I draw a lot, make collages, also make some craft object. But the iPhone shoot not very clearly and professionally.

* I’m super love black and white photography. During past time I have taken lots of bw photos via my iPhone. Color photos also my type just more passion for bw tho.

3. my budget is below $1800, $2000 is my upper limit. So is there any good fit camera?

4. Ideally, I’ll take the camera anywhere while I go out or travel, so I know lighter more better. BUT based on my above directions, do you think should I buy an SLR camera or Mirrorless camera?Any camera recommend?

5. I attached some of my fav photography, please forgive my silly question, but is this possible to see which camera they used? I love these style and color tone too much. Here the reference link: https://www.pinterest.com/nikistudio/for-camera-reference/

Let me know if you have any question or anywhere not clearly, and sorry for my English :)

-N
1. If you can afford it, and can learn photography, then I will suggest an "enthusiast level" DSLR, such as the Nikon D7100. A camera in that category will not be "easy", but after you learn it, it will do whatever you ask.

2. An entry-level camera will not be able to auto-focus older screw-drive lenses, but the D7100 can. There are some other advantages as well, but will require a lengthy explanation.

3. A new D7100 body will cost around $700. Your lens budget therefore will be sufficient to purchase one or two very nice lenses. More study is required.

4. The D7100 is somewhat larger and heavier than an entry-level camera, so if you want a smaller light-weight camera, then choose something else. More searching is required.

5. Pinterest would not allow me to read the EXIF, so I cannot tell what camera. Besides; it is not only the camera but the lens as well. To get the best B&W photos, you will need a lens that will render low-gain inter-tonal contrast well. More study is required.

Hi guys,

* art direction

5. I attached some of my fav photography, please forgive my silly question, but is this possible to see which camera they used? I love these style and color tone too much. Here the reference link:

I would also suggest an 'enthusiast level' camera like the Canon 80D or 77D
but also look at the mirrorless camera options - smaller and lighter but can use all the DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Hi,

thanks for your response.
yeah I'm indeed also considering mirrorless cameras, any mirrorless cameras recommend?

Hi guys,

* art direction

5. I attached some of my fav photography, please forgive my silly question, but is this possible to see which camera they used? I love these style and color tone too much. Here the reference link:

I would also suggest an 'enthusiast level' camera like the Canon 80D or 77D
but also look at the mirrorless camera options - smaller and lighter but can use all the DSLR lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

thanks for your thoughtful reply.
I saw many people have recommended Canon 80D, yes I'm totally a newbie in photography so many things make me confusing and now direction. How do you think if I buying a second-hand camera body + new lens? If this possible? Also do you have any mirrorless cameras recommend?

As you will find out it's more about the person behind the camera....the pictures you are referring to could be taken with anything from Nikon, Canon, Sony etc.....Don't think that selecting one brand over another is going to allow for this style of photography, that isn't how it works.....It's much more important to learn about composition and practice with your camera no matter which one you decide on. My uncle who retired as a wedding photographer for instance will shoot with his Nikon D60 and a 35mm lens at our family gatherings and get amazing pictures that people can't believe....It's just because he knows how to work the room and understands the available light and where to position himself, getting low for some shots etc and take incredible shots...

I would start by figuring out what camera system you would like to use....maybe rent a few bodies and prime lenses from a local camera store, see how they feel to you....With modern cameras you really can't go wrong with either system.....I personally shot with Sony, Nikon & Canon.....Sony for about a month as it wasn't for me, Nikon for 15 years and now shooting with Canon. In the end nobody can tell what body or brand I was using to capture the shot, some were DX bodies and others were FX.....Either rent a few bodies or just handle some in the store and see what you like...To get shots in those samples you posted you will need to study light and learn how to light your subject properly...Looks like several of those are high key shots so lighting is key no matter what your subject. Nikon 7100 or 7200, 750 with a couple prime lenses would be a great set up or a Canon 7D Marl II, 80D, 5D Mark III.....new or used with a few prime lenses would be a great start.

thanks for your suggestions.
May I ask how do you think if I buying a second-hand camera body + new lens? A second-hand camera is a good idea?
ALso, how do you think mirrorless cameras? any recommend?
Do you think what's the good fit lens for using at the start?

Hi guys,

* art direction

-N
1. If you can afford it, and can learn photography, then I will suggest an "enthusiast level" DSLR, such as the Nikon D7100. A camera in that category will not be "easy", but after you learn it, it will do whatever you ask.

2. An entry-level camera will not be able to auto-focus older screw-drive lenses, but the D7100 can. There are some other advantages as well, but will require a lengthy explanation.

3. A new D7100 body will cost around $700. Your lens budget therefore will be sufficient to purchase one or two very nice lenses. More study is required.

4. The D7100 is somewhat larger and heavier than an entry-level camera, so if you want a smaller light-weight camera, then choose something else. More searching is required.

5. Pinterest would not allow me to read the EXIF, so I cannot tell what camera. Besides; it is not only the camera but the lens as well. To get the best B&W photos, you will need a lens that will render low-gain inter-tonal contrast well. More study is required.

thanks for your suggestions.
May I ask how do you think if I buying a second-hand camera body + new lens? A second-hand camera is a good idea?
ALso, how do you think mirrorless cameras? any recommend?
Do you think what's the good fit lens for using at the start?
I think that is one choice to help save money, but you could also think of buying a new camera body and a used lens. I did that myself last year.

You can do very nicely by finding a gently used camera body at a substantial discount from the price of new. The trick is to find such a deal. You might shop at reputable dealers who will be honest about the condition, and then you might also purchase an extended warranty from square space, for instance. Ideally, you would purchase a used camera from someone you know personally and who you trust will tell you of any problems.

You should not put your faith in new lenses, because they are not all worth the money they cost. Some older lenses (gently used) would be a wise choice.

In my case; I purchased a new "enthusiast level" camera body and have been buying used lenses over the past year. My main interest is portraiture, so when I read about a lens that has certain qualities that I consider a good choice for portraiture, I look for a used example in very good condition. Some of the lenses are no longer made but are excellent for my purposes. Also, since they are often overlooked by the general buying public, the prices are very affordable. :1247:

When you begin to find something that you are interested in, start a new thread on here and ask the members here our opinion. Also; post a link to the deal so we can see what it is exactly.

Good luck!

You need to really think about yourself and how you will use the camera.
Example the somewhat basic Nikon D3400 can do a LOT of stuff, but it has limitations compared to the D7200/7500. One of which is to use the older AF lenses that require the autofocus motor in the camera body, which the D3xxx series does not have.
But the D3400 is much lighter and easier to carry around than the heavier D7200/7500. I know this because I have a D7200, and am thinking of getting a D3400 with its smaller/lighter lens to use when I want a lighter camera for casual family events.

Then there is the D5600 that sits between the D3400 and D7500. And know that I have to use AFS lenses, not any of the older AF lenses.
I would go with a D5600 + 18-140 lens. I think this is a good combination. But the 18-140 lens is heavier than the 18-55 lens.

The Canon T7i is another option.
The school where I help the yearbook staff got a couple T7i + 18-135 lens. I think that is a great general purpose combo. The only addition I would add is a 35mm f/1.8 lens for shooting in LOW light. But only if you have this need.
Canon has a higher end DX series, but I am not familiar with their cameras.

IMHO, you want a dSLR, not a compact, because my feeling is you will need the option to change lenses to a lens appropriate to what you are shooting. There is no one lens that will shoot everything well, each lens is a compromise in something.

As for lens, if you are shooting a fashion show down a runway, you NEED to find out how much lighting you have to work with. The basic kit lens may or may not be fast enough. So be prepared to get a 2nd lens then even a 3rd lens as you need to do additional/different shooting that has different requirements that the lens(es) you have can't meet.

My one caution is to really study the multi-lens kits that are sold, as you may NOT want them.
Many of them have a decent standard lens (18-55 VR/IS), but the longer lens is a cheap lens without VR/IS which IMHO you need more at the longer focal lengths. This is done to reduce the price of the kit. But the longer lens without VR/IS is not as easy to use as if it were a VR/IS lens. IOW, but the camera with just the standard lens with VR/IS, then get a better longer lens with VR/IS.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back