Alternate processing of Veteran's portrait - opinions please.

My images are always okay to edit. I like the conversion you've done, but it's not quite the look I've got in mind. The 3% yellow layer I've added is meant to give a hint of a selenium tone-look.

I was more talking about the lighting than the tone on this one (though as always in photoshop the rendering is always way better than once online...), I can see where you're coming from the selenium look.

Last edited:
I like this, but agree about too much space that made for a lot of black in the first version. This works in an oval frame I think, nice way to eliminate the empty space and balance it. This made me think of a tintype, which isn't quite the right era but it might be the vintage style uniform that adds to that impression.

I like this, but agree about too much space that made for a lot of black in the first version. This works in an oval frame I think, nice way to eliminate the empty space and balance it. This made me think of a tintype, which isn't quite the right era but it might be the vintage style uniform that adds to that impression.
Thanks [The other] Sharon. I will have to see how it looks back from the lab, but I think with an oval matte, it will be just about what I want.

I do like being able to see just the extra bit of detail and a slight outline of his shoulders. I think it helps to sort of round out the portrait, to give his highlighted face a bit of an anchor, a base...a place to 'be' within the photo's space. With the shoulders now more visible, the belt over the one shoulder is more of a presence, and he just seems to be more "there", more "present". More man-as-soldier comes through, and yet the bottom fades to black very nicely!

I have to say, I thought you were going for the old look pictures where the lighting was not up to par with today's standards and the picture was taken in the bygone era. I like the original for that feel. The edit showing the lower half of the body is nice and still conveys the same feeling, but the original really brings you to the old/young (Because of the uniform) mans face...

I really like the edited version. Now I can tell there's a rifle!
One more little nitpick, though--the only thing I *don't* like about it now is that the first two of his knuckles seem a lot brighter than the rest of his hand (granted, they were like that in the original too, but not AS bright), and it does draw my eye off his face just a little bit. But I suspect you've probably already tried burning that area.
I don't really find it distracting enough to diminish from the photo, overall.

I do like being able to see just the extra bit of detail and a slight outline of his shoulders. I think it helps to sort of round out the portrait, to give his highlighted face a bit of an anchor, a base...a place to 'be' within the photo's space. With the shoulders now more visible, the belt over the one shoulder is more of a presence, and he just seems to be more "there", more "present". More man-as-soldier comes through, and yet the bottom fades to black very nicely!
Thanks Derrel!

I have to say, I thought you were going for the old look pictures where the lighting was not up to par with today's standards and the picture was taken in the bygone era. I like the original for that feel. The edit showing the lower half of the body is nice and still conveys the same feeling, but the original really brings you to the old/young (Because of the uniform) mans face...
Cheers - that's sort of where I think I was going, but maybe too much of a good thing for most?

I really like the edited version. Now I can tell there's a rifle!
One more little nitpick, though--the only thing I *don't* like about it now is that the first two of his knuckles seem a lot brighter than the rest of his hand (granted, they were like that in the original too, but not AS bright), and it does draw my eye off his face just a little bit. But I suspect you've probably already tried burning that area.
I don't really find it distracting enough to diminish from the photo, overall.
There are a few minor bits of dodging and burning needed; once the test print comes back from the lab, I'll fine tune, but yeah, the knuckles are on the list. Thanks Sharon!

I like the idea here but I agree on the hand issue.. and rifle.. just a bit more light all the way around to make those things more visible I think.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back