Alternative to Nikon 70 - 200mm $2000 lens?

I mean Depth of field. :biggrin-new: It being subjective doesn't negate the validity of it; but it also doesn't confirm for everyone i suppose, though i would wager for most people it does apply.

I mean Depth of field. :biggrin-new: It being subjective doesn't negate the validity of it; but it also doesn't confirm for everyone i suppose, though i would wager for most people it does apply.
so much for that 70-200 f/0.5 lens you're been pining for and complaining about over and over...

That has to be like a year ago now, people do change. :cupcake:

Though i wouldn't mind seeing something at least similar on a ultra-wide lens. :biggrin-new:

Just for the record I own the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC and as "braineck" said it is a Stellar lens, I use it almost all the time on f2.8, I agree if you own an f2.8 lens and you dont use it on f2.8 (for at least from time to time) then the f4 is a good option.

Here is a shot with my Tamron at f2.8, focus is at the man, horse is a bit blurry due to motion

DSC_0391-1-2_zpscq4l2fko.jpg

I had a Sigma 70-200 and it was ok, but after getting a (used) Nikkor 70-200 Version 1, I wouldn't consider any non-Nikon lens an alternative. More of a 'I guess I have to settle' type of lens.

If you truly can't save for the Nikon, (which is probably the best lens i've ever used to be honest), then I thought the Sigma was pretty good, but the problem I had with it was the focus wasn't as fast or accurate, it also wasn't as sharp at 2.8 if you use 2.8 often. I haven't used it, but i've read the Tamron has slower focus speed but sharper glass than the Sigma.

Here are a couple shots from mine.

Nikkor V1 (shot on Portra 400 film with my F100)
Night's Watch by Brandon, on Flickr

Another Nikkor, with D300.
Daigo Saito by Brandon, on Flickr

Here's a Sigma shot from the zoo
Face of a Meerkat by Brandon, on Flickr

Last edited:
The Tamron will cut you it's so sharp. Focus speed is fine and on par with Nikons -- never noticed it being slow or it being any sort of issue. There are perks to the Nikon for sure, but I'd rather have an on par lens and an extra $1000 in my pocket.

The Sigma is the lowest in the class and priced accordingly. The Tamron, however, represents an icredible deal.

now here's a kitty:

DSC_9931-22 by The Braineack, on Flickr

"bhop" is refering to the old version of the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 which is not VC!!! it was a sharp lens but slow to focus and had some hunting issues in lower light!
Both Braineck and I have been using the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC which is the new version and a completely different design, it is lightning fast to focus and focuses well in all lighting conditions!!!
I have seen few of "Braineck" results using this lens and its impressive, here are 2 shots with my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC

DSC_0720-1-4_zpsq1fjqouz.jpg

DSC_0083-1-3_zpsbsgcpg59.jpg

"bhop" is refering to the old version of the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 which is not VC!!! it was a sharp lens but slow to focus and had some hunting issues in lower light!
Both Braineck and I have been using the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC which is the new version and a completely different design, it is lightning fast to focus and focuses well in all lighting conditions!!!
I have seen few of "Braineck" results using this lens and its impressive, here are 2 shots with my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC... etc.

Yeah, admittedly, I haven't used the newer Tamron lenses, but the examples you guys are posting look pretty impressive.

I have seen few of "Braineck" results using this lens and its impressive, here are 2 shots with my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC... etc.

Yeah, admittedly, I haven't used the newer Tamron lenses, but the examples you guys are posting look pretty impressive.

Dont get me wrong, nothing wrong with the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VRII, I wouldn't mind owning this piece of glass but after a lot of research proving the differences between the new Tamron and Nikon is truly tiny and price differences is so big my pocket voted for the Tamron and I dont regret the decision for a minute.
If I was making money in photography I might have chosen the Nikon but currently I am still in the "serious hobbyist" bracket (trying to get in the semi pro but thats a whole different discussion LOL) and I think for those who want to get the best bang for their buck the Tamron is the best lens in its category with very small difference between it and the Nikon.

The Tamron will cut you it's so sharp. Focus speed is fine and on par with Nikons -- never noticed it being slow or it being any sort of issue. There are perks to the Nikon for sure, but I'd rather have an on par lens and an extra $1000 in my pocket.

The Sigma is the lowest in the class and priced accordingly. The Tamron, however, represents an icredible deal.

now here's a kitty:

DSC_9931-22
by The Braineack, on Flickr

I have seen few of "Braineck" results using this lens and its impressive, here are 2 shots with my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC

DSC_0720-1-4_zpsq1fjqouz.jpg

DSC_0083-1-3_zpsbsgcpg59.jpg

Thanks for posting those pics guys, they're lovely.

So happy to see these as, coincidentally, I've just ordered a Tamron 70-200mm VC this very morning, to use on my D600. Fingers crossed I don't get a dud! :)

So happy to see these as, coincidentally, I've just ordered a Tamron 70-200mm VC this very morning, to use on my D600. Fingers crossed I don't get a dud! :)

Congrats, I know you are going to love your new lens :)

the IQ with that combo will blow you away.

Best way to save money is to wait till you can afford that lens... And then buy it

Most reactions

Back