Always ask the preacher...

sierramister

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
a-sullivan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I thought I'd share my tale and ask if anyone else has had this issue. My wife and I agreed to shoot a friends a wedding (FYI I've shot enough weddings to be above amateur and well below pro). We asked the bride of the church had any regulations regarding photography, and she told us "My dad is the preacher, and he's marrying us, so everything will be fine." Mistake Number One.

My wife usually tags along as an assistant, but I gave her a D5000 with a 24-70 2.8 to shoot with during the ceremony (with a flash). The dad/preacher told us just minutes before the ceremony today "no flash during the ceremony". My wife freaked out a little, and she missed switching the ISO settings from switching inside to outside twice (we would have been OK if the indoor/outdoor ISO were a little closer together, like 200 and 800).

Just a reminder to everyone: Ask the preacher for your restrictions, even if its a casual wedding.

It's mainly an American Catholic "thing" and it's a ridiculous restriction that certain churches choose to impose; it's the one thing I bemoan most about shooting weddings. Some churches won't even allow you to shoot from anywhere but behind the very back pew, regardless of whether you shoot with flash or available light. They treat photographers like infidels and upset brides who actually should be calling the shots and running the show given that they're the ones paying the high premium to use the facilities. Many churches have even gone so far as to institute contracts that the photographer/s must sign, agreeing to the policies regarding photography - the penalty for breaking the "rules" is a lifetime ban from ever shooting in the church again. Yes, it's outright ridiculous, but it's the biting fly of nuisance I've learned to accept and live with.

I think overall its becoming more common because these days its not just the photographer who has a camera and flash at the service - its everyone. And everyone wants to take a photo - so they do. The result is that the preacher gets a massive barrage of non-stop flashes in his face and I can well see it being both distracting and also a touch disrespectful during the ceremony (because its treating it like a form of entertainment - like going to the footy - rather than a religious service).

I think its something that the pro photographer needs to talk to the preacher about - at the end of the day both are there to do their job and its important that they both understand what each others job entails. I think most would allow the pro to use flash if approached, asked and explained to in an appropriate manner.

The result is that the preacher gets a massive barrage of non-stop flashes in his face and I can well see it being both distracting and also a touch disrespectful during the ceremony (because its treating it like a form of entertainment - like going to the footy - rather than a religious service).

That's the reason we got when we got married.

I was hoping our pastor wasn't going to restrict our photographer, but he did... and he stated that all the flashing causes him to lose his spot on the ceremony outline, or whatever it is he's reading, and that in order to allow the thing to go without a hiccup, there should be no flash during the ceremony.

I mean... he's an old dude, so I guess I can understand losing your spot while reading if your retinas have been burned with a flash moments before. :lol:

We're not Catholic though. We're non-denominational Christians so... it's not just a Catholic thing.

I think it really depends on the minister or priest and the church. I grew up catholic, and I do remember plenty of weddings where flash was used, even gigantic on camera soft boxes, and assistants carrying speed lights. However, Catholic churches have many more rules about weddings in general. It might not be true across the board, but I believe only members of a particular church can get married there, while other denominations will allow the use of the church for just about anyone. It very well may be an American thing though, I wouldn't put anything past us.

it's a ridiculous restriction that certain churches choose to impose.

It seems like photographers - and their clients - are not understanding their relative importance when they want to tell the minister, priest or rabbi what can be done during the religious ceremony.

I was given the reasoning that "it's a spiritual thing." Really? It just sucked because I'm usually very cautious about having brides get the answer to the flash question if even they are sure, but I figured it was a friend, and her dad was marrying them, that he wouldn't restrict us. She did tell us it was wouldn't be a problem. At least he let stand wherever as long as we were in front of him (although we're always cautious to be stealth out of respect of the guests).

It was a small Presbyterian church.

It just changes your mentality when you think it's OK to use flash and you can't.

"A spiritual thing?" Bull Crap! What? Do flash photos steal souls? The guy is an idiot. I realize I'm being a dick, but the guy probably just doesn't like flash, or doesn't know any better, and cannot think of a better reason. I can understand if they have a policy because of historic artifacts or paintings in the building and UV exposure, but even a simple filter can take care of that. Some people are just plain stupid, and you really cannot fix that; you have to work around it. If that means shooting higher iso and different lens choice, then Amen!

I think what needs to be remembered here is reguardless of what faith the wedding you are shooting is, a wedding is a sacrament to a church. This puts the wedding kind of at the top of the importance list for the church. Because of this the issues of photographers, videographers, ect. probably aren't really on the radar for the priest/pastor of the church. To flip the issue around, think about this; your doing a shoot at your studio, a friend of the person you are shooting shows up and wants to take pictures of you shooting, but don't worry thier flash shouldn't bother you.
The thing I would say to remember is to talk to the priest before the wedding if you can, ask him specifically for restrictions and be respectful of what he says. This will get you much further in the long run.

In the UK 99% of the venues i shoot at for wedding do not allow flash during the ceremony, that goes for churches, hotels and even registry officers. I just assume these days i cant shoot with flash. Some venues have more restrictions than others and i have been to churches that have said no photography period during the ceremony.

Ok seriously is this an American thing?
From what I've seen/heard, it seems much more common in the UK that flash is not allowed.

I've personally not run into this, but I have had all sorts of other restrictions, like no photographing while the officiant is speaking.

The one thing that gets me, is even if they tell YOU that flash is not allowed...there will be plenty of guests using flash with their little P&S cameras in the congregation.

Either way, this is something that a wedding photograph needs to be prepared for. This is a big reason why we're always telling aspiring wedding photographers that they need to have fast lenses. If you show up to shoot a wedding and your lens is limited to F3.5 to F5.6...you are going to struggle.

And of course, while WE may think that the photography is THE most important part of the wedding...the officiant may not care one little bit about it...and they make the rules in their house.
I think it's Mormon Temples where you're not even allowed to take photos inside at all.

This is something I bring up with the B&G at the consultation meeting. They need to ask about the 'house rules' early on...and if it's important enough for them, they may want to use a different officiant or venue etc.
Although, I have been in a situation where the couple checked with the priest and everything was OK...but then there was a last minute change and the new priest had a bunch of new rules and restrictions. So be prepared for anything.

Ok seriously is this an American thing?
From what I've seen/heard, it seems much more common in the UK that flash is not allowed.

I've personally not run into this, but I have had all sorts of other restrictions, like no photographing while the officiant is speaking.

The one thing that gets me, is even if they tell YOU that flash is not allowed...there will be plenty of guests using flash with their little P&S cameras in the congregation.

Either way, this is something that a wedding photograph needs to be prepared for. This is a big reason why we're always telling aspiring wedding photographers that they need to have fast lenses. If you show up to shoot a wedding and your lens is limited to F3.5 to F5.6...you are going to struggle.

And of course, while WE may think that the photography is THE most important part of the wedding...the officiant may not care one little bit about it...and they make the rules in their house.
I think it's Mormon Temples where you're not even allowed to take photos inside at all.

This is something I bring up with the B&G at the consultation meeting. They need to ask about the 'house rules' early on...and if it's important enough for them, they may want to use a different officiant or venue etc.
Although, I have been in a situation where the couple checked with the priest and everything was OK...but then there was a last minute change and the new priest had a bunch of new rules and restrictions. So be prepared for anything.

Agreed, even venues i have worked a hundred time may all of a sudden have new rules. In the UK it really is down to the registrar. If they do not want any photography you just have to respect there rules. Shooting with no flash is really not a problem with the right lens and maybe a tripod for some bits. I am often told i can stand at the back in one spot not move, not use flash, not make a single noise and hardley breath. Its our job to still get the shots and thats what makes wedding photography so fun.

Most reactions

Back