Am I an Idiot? Flash question

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so i have a sb600 and the cactus v4 trigger for it. i bought another sb600 for a shoot tomorrow then realized i might not be able to make both fire at the same time. i have a d40 so no commander mode. am i sol? lol

thanks

I believe you should still be able to set the 2nd flash up as a slave, so that it's triggered when the first one fires. It might be trickier, especially outdoors, but I believe it's possible.

i planned on returning it after my shoot (i know its bad) but i think i need another receiver to make it work. i have been trying every setting but it just doesnt want to work for me. might just return it tonight. i think a flash and a reflector will suffice for a senior shoot

Last edited:
From what I remember, it's the SB-800 and 900 that have the ability to trigger other flashes. So you would need another receiver for your wireless setup to hit both of them.

yeah i know lol. i thought maybe the cactus trigger could work with the other sb600. oh well. brain farts i guess haha. i get 200 bucks back so thats good

I wish I had a couple SB-900's, or a mixture of them all.... So many cool things you can do with multiple strobes.

There is some cheap optical trigger you can buy. they work well if your not too far.
however, you will loose TTL.

Come to think of it, I think you're right. But like you said, a single flash and a reflector should still do fine.

Depending on the type of shoot you may be able to get away with just the one flash anyway. Either that, or the one flash and creative use of a reflector if you have one handy (or even white poster board or the like).

i planned on returning it after my shoot (i know its bad) but i think i need another receiver to make it work. i have been trying every setting but it just doesnt want to work for me. might just return it tonight. i think a flash and a reflector will suffice for a senior shoot

Is that how you always operate or are you selectively moral?

No I just am strapped for money and wanted to use it for the shoot. I returned it today anyways. I plan on buying a sb800 or 900 when I get more money.

No I just am strapped for money and wanted to use it for the shoot. I returned it today anyways. I plan on buying a sb800 or 900 when I get more money.

Try renting. Your conscience will thank you later.

Or you could simply just buy another V4 receiver (which is what I do) for a lot less money (by avoiding a SB900) and time (by trying to find a SB800)

See I couldn't rent since the shoot is tomorrow. I wasn't sure if it was gonna work anyways. And I was right. I told the person at the store that too. Everyone can hate me for it but oh well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back