Am I Ready for a DSLR???

I love #1, #2, and #3. the other 2 really don't do much for me... I think that last one would have been cool, but I don't like the people being off the the left so much. that type of picture should have the people right in the middle walking. That's just me tho, usually I love an off centered picture where the subject isnt in the middle.... but here I think they should have been. just one persons oppinion tho.

If you can comfortably shoot in manual, then you are ready for a DSLR. There are other thing too such as white balance, focus mode, and things like that but as long you don't shoot in automatic mode, a DSLR is a worthy upgrade. DSLR certainly make it a lot more fun to take picture especially in manual mode since the control are much more dedicated and easier to use than p&s, that alone would make it a worthy upgrade. DSLR is also much more capable so if you can take advantage of that extra capability, why not?

If you can comfortably shoot in manual, then you are ready for a DSLR. There are other thing too such as white balance, focus mode, and things like that but as long you don't shoot in automatic mode, a DSLR is a worthy upgrade. DSLR certainly make it a lot more fun to take picture especially in manual mode since the control are much more dedicated and easier to use than p&s, that alone would make it a worthy upgrade. DSLR is also much more capable so if you can take advantage of that extra capability, why not?

Thanks for the other comments everyone!

Buying a DSLR will be in my future...I cannot wait to get it.

I am going to stick with Canon...I want a mid-range DSLR. What do you guys prefer?

My guess is that at this point, you'll be thrilled beyond belief with the added capabilities that the SLR provides. If you're really unsure, there's a good chance you can rent one for the weekend to get an idea-- if you are in a major city you certainly have a camera rental available, and even less densely populated areas are likely to have that option.

Don't forget, though, that there are a lot of differences between the camera systems and there will be a learning curve even at this point-- particularly in file handling. The jpg output of the S3 is probably optimized for out-of-camera use whereas a DSLR will generally have its defaults geared towards post-processing. You can change that if you want (though you're better off doing work in post) but be prepared for initial files that do not show the saturation and sharpness that you may be used to having directly from the camera.

And of course post any questions, for everything there is an answer.

I haven't used a mid-range Canon since the 20D, but it was a really stellar camera. If you want to look at something more modern, the 40D is supposed to be excellent, as well as the 50D (but it's more expensive, naturally).

Quote: Originally Posted by Franz
I want to reach a peak with photography skills on the S3 IS before I upgrade to a DSLR...am I there yet???

Having never owned a digital SLR until I got mine in December, I briefly considered one of the superzoom bridge cameras, but since I have the fundamentals down (in that point and shoots are not good for anything other than their convenience and their ability to fit in my pocket), it felt like a waste because it would very soon limit my creativity. The lenses are versatile, but one big advantage to a DSLR is being able to use specific lenses to achieve the results you want. And I don't think the S3 has a hot shoe, does it?

I guess what I'm trying to say is... if it's a DSLR you eventually want to master, why waste time on a camera that's not a DSLR?

If you have a basic understanding of manual settings (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc), then there's no reason you can't learn and grow into a DSLR. And all entry level models (like the rebels if you're going to stay with canon) have automatic modes, and shutter/aperture priority mode to get you started.

And a DSLR will have higher ISO capabilities. From what I remember when researching cameras, the powershot IS's only go to 800, and my rebel goes to 1600.

Go for it. Once you experience the thrill of DHL pulling up in your driveway with a new lens, you'll be hooked. (That is if you pay for expedited shipping because you can't stand to wait two weeks for it arrive.) :lol:

Depending on your economy. I should vote for Canon EOS 40D or 450D. Both cameras gives alot for the money. I myself changed from Canon to Olympus. Mostly because of the colours and inbuilt Imagestabilisation. I sometimes use analog lenses. Canon is also good with adapters to analog lenses.
This is taken with Zuiko OM 50mm together with my Olympus E-3

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/bildochfoto/4370979

4370979.79609739.560.jpg

Even if you'd never held a camera before, you're "ready" for a DSLR -- you can learn to use one as easily as you can learn to use any other camera. Plus, if you're the type that likes to get wide-angle converters and filters and whatnot for the camera you have now, you'll be in hog-heaven with all the adaptability of a DSLR.

So which midrange? You want to stick with Canon -- and I think that's a good choice. Please keep in mind, though, that Nikon and a few others make good cameras as well -- you may ultimately stick with Canon, but it's always worth looking around at your options.

But if you do stick with Canon, that usually means the XXD series -- so it's between the 20D, 30D, 40D, or 50D. 20D or 30D are good older cameras; they lack all the newest sensors and bells and whistles, but can be found (typically used) pretty cheap. If you want new, the 40D and 50D are both good -- the 50D is a little more expensive and has a few new features. (There's much internet debate about whether the 50D is worth the extra cost -- but I don't have either, so I have no view.)

Shutterspeed is shutterspeed, no matter what camera. Aperture is aperture no matter what camera. ISO is ISO no matter what camera (ignoring ISO on film vs. ISO on digital of course.)

Already know all that? Then one would be ready. Don't know all that? Then certain dSLR cameras have auto functions and certain cameras don't. It would be nothing more than a simple learning curve if not. Personally, I don't understand what all the fuss is about "it takes years to learn photography..." that I see mentioned often (not in this thread, but many times in other threads.) It's really quite simple.

I guess that you have plenty of advice on the camera....... remember though, it's the photographer taking the picture, the camera is just recording it. Any good camera, SLR or not, will record top-notch pictures.
So, let's get on with the critique...because I disagree with most of the others..

#1. is nicely composed, but if it's a photo of the sunset, then your focus is entirely on the wrong subject....This one should have been shot with a much smaller aperture to bring everything into focus.

#2. is OK except for the blade of foliage that cuts through the sun...it would have been a simple matter to have moved a fraction of an inch either side..

#3. I don't agree that this is a good picture....... It is a good concept, but it is only a photo of a wire grid, and underexposed.. (actually, the shoreline is more properly exposed, but we don't know if that is the subject here)

The viewer finds himself trying to look through the grid to the very excellent background, but is disappointed that it is nothing but a blur. There is no sensible subject unless you are a fence repairman.. This one may have had more impact with the shoreline sharp and the grid slightly OOF.

the others are just snapshots........

(picture me smiling a kindly smile and only "grading" these shots, as requested, while also saying that there is really nothing wrong with any of them.... It's only another perspective)

franz, all the pictures looks nice to me, and i guess you already know the basics and theories in taking pictures, i suggest do a research on the one that you want, then get one if you have the means, get to know your dslr and practice. dont worry about some of the thing that you'll encounter such as technical terms, practice or techniques as long as your really interested in photography in time you'll understand the in and out of photography just by reading book and forums .

so do your self a favor, JUST GET YOU ONE if you have the means .

Most reactions

Back