Amateur shooting a wedding

Primoz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!

So I got a proposal for photographing a wedding from someone who saw my Flickr account and liked what they saw. (Events, People - a set on Flickr, Places, Nature - a set on Flickr)

I explained that I am NOT a professional and have never shot a wedding before; that I am aware that it's a hard thing to photograph with lots of pressure on the photographer and that I do photography only as a passionate hobby. The couple said, that they totally understand the situation and that they are completely fine with it... (they don't want to spend a fortune on a professional photographer)

So I accepted the honour and opportunity to expand my portfolio and I took the thing very seriously - I have met them and went to see where the wedding is taking place with them: the ceremony is outside under a white "ceiling" (which I like, because it will help me with bouncing flash =D) And for the portrait session there is a lovely grass "platform" in shade with trees around.

My plan was to shoot the ceremony with on camera flash with an (offbrand) lightsphere on it. For the couple shots I wanted to do off camera flash session with an umbrella + a reflector. (Maybe even just natural light + reflector on some shots) I want to get a style of images that is warm, bright, with not overdone contrast or clarity.

I told them I don't own a backup body, so one of their friends (who is also coming to the wedding) will bring an entry level Nikon body in case anything happens to my D90...

Do you have any tips or suggestions? I mean - I do believe I know what I am doing with my photography and I know my gear, but still: Any of your unpleasant expiriences you would like to share to help me avoid them? =)

I know I don't have that many people shots in my portfolio, but you've got to start somewhere, right? =) Thoughts on my previous work?

Thanks! I guess I am just a bit nervous (as probably anyone before their first wedding photo-shoot =D) and would like to get some thoughts of others...

In general; Make sure you have lots of batteries for your SB600 Try to attend the rehearsal if possible so you can get an idea of what is going to be happening. Make a list of shots that are must haves. If you have any shots that are going to take you more than 2 minutes, either forget about the shot, figure out how to do it faster, or figure out a way you can get it set up in advance. You will need an assistant, especially since you mentinoed reflectors several times...preferably, you would bring your own, but it is also possible to get a volunteer from the wedding party.

As far as "I know I don't have that many people shots in my portfolio, but you've got to start somewhere, right?", while this is true, most people start with assisting rather than just going out and shooting a wedding. It sounds like you have explained to the couple where you are at with photography and that it is a learning experience, so I guess if the couple is okay with that, no point in discussing whether you should do it or not.

On a side note, I have brought a reflector to every wedding I have ever shot, and I've never used it. I plan to change that next weekend, but realize that the time constraints are very real, and a lot of times, well, there just isn't time. Something to think about.

The only suggestion I would give you is to have plenty of backup for the small things - batteries - at least two sets for all equipment that require them and make sure they are fully charged the day of the wedding, memory cards - at least two or three extra ones - I would suggest you go with smaller ones rather than one or two big ones because if one does decide to misbehave, you have fewer images at stake. You might also think about buying a good book on wedding photography and making note of the "required" shots. As well, you might want to have some form of written, formal contract about what you will do or not do (how much processing of the final images are you going to do and for how many images) and what you will or will not give them once the wedding is complete, e.g., all images on a CD, - this saves a lot of potential misunderstanding when it is over, e.g., who has what rights to use the images and how they can be used, etc. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Thanks - yes I already made a list of "must" shots... There will be no rehersal, but the bride will send me a detailed schedule so that should be fine. And I am going to be there 2 hours early anyway to take shots of details and preparations... I also checked the portfolios of some local wedding photographers looking for ideas and what to shoot.

What I meant was that I haved done much "official" work yet... I know it is a big leap and the first email I wrote back to the couple was more in the sense of me not accepting the job (because of lack of my expirience for such an important event), but they were determined they want me, since everything else around is crazy expensive... The couple is very nice and understanding and the even said it's not the end of the world if I miss something (I will do my best not to though)...

I believe I do have enough knowledge and practice in photography to pull this off, but in the 2 years now I've been doing photography seriously I have become a perfectionist when I look at my images... I always try to critically judge my mistakes, because "good-enough" is not really "good-enough" for my opinion... That's the only way to get better at what you do. And something one might not even notice in a shot at first might be a deal-breaker for me...

I asked the question regarding an assistant as well and they said it's no problem - there will be plenty of young volunteer prepared to help =P
I will bring the flash and an an umbrella with light stand with me, but if the light is right I might not even bother to use it - in a good shade the natural light and a big-ass aperture is all you need =D

I believe I do have enough knowledge and practice in photography to pull this off, but in the 2 years now I've been doing photography seriously I have become a perfectionist when I look at my images... I always try to critically judge my mistakes, because "good-enough" is not really "good-enough" for my opinion... That's the only way to get better at what you do. And something one might not even notice in a shot at first might be a deal-breaker for me...

This is another reason why I do not do wedding photography as the main shooter. If I were to deliver only the shots I like, I might only hand over a few dozen. Turns out, you have to give the client more than that. You can cull the ones where somebody stepped into your shot or you missed focus, but the client pretty much expects to see the rest. Everything from the mundane, uninspired shot to the extraordinary.

I explained that I am NOT a professional and have never shot a wedding before; that I am aware that it's a hard thing to photograph with lots of pressure on the photographer and that I do photography only as a passionate hobby. The couple said, that they totally understand the situation and that they are completely fine with it... (they don't want to spend a fortune on a professional photographer)
Get that IN WRITING and signed by everyone involved. Stating that they understand beforehand and saying it again afterwards are two completely different things. If it winds up in court it is your word against theirs that they were aware of that fact. Write it out and get everyone to sign and agree to it.

It is nice that they are saying "No Problem" to your lack of experience and their acceptance of the stage of photography you're at now, but I'd still suggest getting in writing, their acceptance of the possibility that the resulting portfolio of shots may not be complete or acceptable. People can, and do change their mind, and you need to protect yourself in case the worse case becomes reality. I think your honesty and fortrightness about where you are with your skills is very commendable, but I've had enough bad experiences with deals done on a handshake, later unravelling because people changed their mind. Fortunately, the bad experiences are in the minority, but they do occur, and they can be very disappointing when they do happen.

Thinking about it a bit more, it may be prudent to list the actual equipment you will be using, and so include the phrase that the shoot will be done on a "best effort" basis, with no guarantee of result regarding the quality or quantity of the images. If they accept those conditions in writing, then they are backing their earlier statement of "no problem". If not, then that's a really big red flag waving, in my opinion.

Edit, looks like SCraig types faster than me, and is giving the same advice...:lol:

Get a check list of common wedding shots. There is one to the professional forum. Be creative. And remember time is of the essence. You will not have much. There will be distractions. Make sure they know you are in charge and direct your shots accordingly. Get an assistant if you can find one. Just a lackey to hold stuff like your camera when you change lenses. It will save time.

Just remember. After the wedding, the dress will never be worn again, the tux gets sent back to the rental company, the limo leaves, the food and cake are eaten and the flowers die. ALL YOU HAVE LEFT ARE THE PHOTOS. Tell the couple thanks but no thanks. Tell them to cut other things out so they can afford a professional photographer and if you want to get into wedding photography go get a job as an assistant and in 4-5 years you will be ready to go out on your own as a principal wedding photographer. If you can't quit your job and be an assistant, well then you don't want to be a wedding photographer that bad then.

All I will say is make sure the contract covers you in every way you can think of.. in case something goes wrong, or they really don't like what they get. Also make sure you have good liability insurance paid up. Good luck!

Just remember. After the wedding, the dress will never be worn again, the tux gets sent back to the rental company, the limo leaves, the food and cake are eaten and the flowers die. ALL YOU HAVE LEFT ARE THE PHOTOS. Tell the couple thanks but no thanks. Tell them to cut other things out so they can afford a professional photographer and if you want to get into wedding photography go get a job as an assistant and in 4-5 years you will be ready to go out on your own as a principal wedding photographer. If you can't quit your job and be an assistant, well then you don't want to be a wedding photographer that bad then.

Did you not look at his gallery? Guy could do this easily. He'll be fine and do a great job.

He should do fine. not everyone can afford 1000-2000 for a professional photographer. when i got married we couldnt and had a friend of the family do it with a simple Kodak point and shoot. if that couple is anything like us when you know thaya someone is not a professional then you don't have the highest of expectations. in my option a picture is a picture. no matter who shot it or if it is "correct" in the eyes of a professional. not everyone know what a properly exposed picture is. or the rule of third or anything in such detail. they look at a pic and they either like it or don't. have a contract signed just encased they are trying to screw you but in my option they know what the will get. i have seen some "professional" pictures that were plain horrible. its all in the eye of the beholder. good luck.

I just looked at your flickr. You're going to do great. You already have the skill set necessary, just lacking the experience. Do your thing, they're going to love it.

Get that IN WRITING and signed by everyone involved. Stating that they understand beforehand and saying it again afterwards are two completely different things. If it winds up in court it is your word against theirs that they were aware of that fact. Write it out and get everyone to sign and agree to it.

^^ I wouldn't shoot it without this.

Most reactions

Back