Amateur wanting to apply to a Photography program: Waste of time? Seeking critique!

tragedy_x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been interested in photography for a few years now and I've now decided that I really want to go to school for it. I pretty much have my heart set on the Bachelor of Applied Arts (Photography) program at Sheridan College in Oakville, Ontario. My family has always supported and pushed me to pursue photography, saying that I have an 'eye' for it. A professional photographer even told my mom that its something I should seriously considered! Despite this, I'm worried that I'm not quite good enough to pursue this career. I don't want to waste my time applying to a photography course when I should be applying to something else. Admittedly, I'm an extreme amateur with very, very little technical knowledge. Thankfully, the document outlining Sheridan's portfolio requirements say, "We are not looking for technical perfection. We are looking for artistic potential and the ability to take on a variety of subjects (i.e., portraits, landscapes, still life etc.)." So I'm here to get some opinions on my work. What do you guys think? Do I have the artistic potential to pursue photography?

Last edited:
I think you need to follow your heart. Some of these show some brilliance an some are basic snapshots.........I think you have posted way to many here to really critique

Do you truly love photography. If so go for it, screw it don't ask permission, don't apologize and never stop taking pictures. Never let anyone, school or an person stop you from dreaming and attempting to achieve and pursue something that you truly love. Regardless of whether the school likes your work or anyone else for that matter, if you pick up a camera and capture images then in my opinion your an artist be true to yourself and see where it takes you.

Sooooo many photos... some of them are really great ideas, just poorly executed - like the heart in the clouds. The ambition and the creativity is definitely there, no one walks into a Bachelors degree with perfect pictures. I'm coming to the end of mine and my work has changed so much. You'll learn so much about yourself and what you actually want to photograph as well.

Be sure its an accredited college and the credits can transfer to other colleges so if you change your major you still have those. Just saying.
If you are interested in it then go for it. You will come out on the other end a changed person and who knows you may decide to go into an associated field instead midway though, either way if you have the opportunity take it. I think you have a good start.
Good Luck and keep us updated.:thumbup:

Forget it. A young lady that just graduated with a 4 year degree in accounting is still looking 6 months later. The lesson being that if a degree in a common everybody needs an accountant degree does not guarantee you a job then certainly a degree in photography will not.

You are not going to be a successful artist because you draw a copy of the line drawing in the magazine and then sign up for their school. You are not going to get a job as a movie director by getting a U.W. (Wisconsin Madison) degree. As the guy I know that now works as a prison guard demonstrates He tried 3 different times in L.A. sleeping in his van etc before giving up. You are not going get a job as a chef by getting a degree in cooking..... Point made.

Forget the schooling. Master the very basics and do weddings very cheap or free to start. You success or failure will be because of your compositions not from experienced mastery of deep hidden secrets. You either have an eye or you don't. No need to got to school. After a couple weddings and honest feed back you may proceed to make money right away rather than pay money that gets you nowhere.

Did I miss something?
"So I'm here to get some opinions on my work. What do you guys think? Do I have the artistic potential to pursue photography?"

Forget it. A young lady that just graduated with a 4 year degree in accounting is still looking 6 months later. The lesson being that if a degree in a common everybody needs an accountant degree does not guarantee you a job then certainly a degree in photography will not.

You are not going to be a successful artist because you draw a copy of the line drawing in the magazine and then sign up for their school. You are not going to get a job as a movie director by getting a U.W. (Wisconsin Madison) degree. As the guy I know that now works as a prison guard demonstrates He tried 3 different times in L.A. sleeping in his van etc before giving up. You are not going get a job as a chef by getting a degree in cooking..... Point made.

Forget the schooling. Master the very basics and do weddings very cheap or free to start. You success or failure will be because of your compositions not from experienced mastery of deep hidden secrets. You either have an eye or you don't. No need to got to school. After a couple weddings and honest feed back you may proceed to make money right away rather than pay money that gets you nowhere.

Did I miss something?
"So I'm here to get some opinions on my work. What do you guys think? Do I have the artistic potential to pursue photography?"

I'd clear up my writing skills before I'd claim school is a waste of time. Writing skills help us to determine whether the writer actually can be trusted in the facts he states.

Well I sort of agree with sobolik (but to a point!) just thought I'd clarify. I was in your same position. My family told me I have an eye for it and I had a professional photographer come up to me and told me to pursue this.... I decided to go for it. But instead of getting deep into this with expensive schooling... I just found classes at my local collage they are affordable and I am learning at an advanced pace! This way you can learn the basics and get into it and decide if this is even the route to go. That way you don't spend a lot of money and time. =) hope this helps... just my little opinion =)

You can learn alot about photography online, and you can spend that tuition money on gear. It all depends on how motivated you are to learn by yourself.

I guess it really depends on what you want to do with photography. You can learn alot about the history of photography, and maybe have some exposure to alternative processes and the myriad of ways to make an image on emulsion, but it depends on the college. I think that would be worth going to school for, because you might not have access to these things otherwise, or it may look so challenging that you simply don't ever try.

But if you think buying a dSLR and shooting weddings is the pinnacle of photography, then quite honestly you're better off honing your business and people skills, and investing in good equipment.

I know a lot of professional photographers that do superb work and they never took a photography class! Here's a website some friends of mine have put up for their business.

And they are all full time nurses!

http://flipartimages.com/index2.php

And here's a website of another friend.

http://www.davidpezzat.com/main.php

Although I wouldn't sway you from taking photography classes, your success would depend on your perseverance and dedication to the art. A class is never a waste of money if you put it to good use.

Don't listen to what other people have to say, a professional photographer will never say, "You don't have what it takes, I suggest you take another route." Being said, it depends on what YOU think. You feel it, you breath it, you know if you want to pursue a career in photography.

Right now I'm in nursing school and going to proceed to an MD degree later on. Hopefully in the future I can afford all the good toys coz I know I have this soft spot for photography.

Last edited:
Regardless of what you do there will always be naysayers who say it'll never work, you wont get work, the market is saturated. But if you believe in your dream then perseverance and courage can take you a long way. While the negative nellies sit on the behinds stuck in their own ruts you can sail past them. Hey I know a guy who did a 4 year photography degree for $25,000 and is working as a labourer now. I also know a guy who taught himself and is now a busy and successful photographer because he worked his but off in good times and bad and built his business and reputation.

Which one are you?

what will a future client care about more? A fancy photography degree, or a portfolio full of breath-taking images. Maybe not breathtaking, but a portfolio nonetheless. The fact is, a client wants to see your work. Sure, knowing EVERY aspect of photography might help in properly exposing or editing a photo, but lacking the actual eye for photography, makes the degree worthless. A future client will care more about your portfolio than your degree. Knowing every technical aspect about photography doesnt mean you're good at it.

Goodluck!

Did I miss something?

Got to this post and stopped reading so sorry if anyone has said this but since doing my Bachelors, looking for work experience has been a lot easier when you introduce yourself with a BA Honors Degree. Paid or unpaid, experience is great and studying at a uni has helped me a lot more than looking at a computer screen to learn.

End of.

One of my favorite movie lines from sister act II: (modified for this instance)

If in the morning you wake up and think of nothing but photography, see things and think about how that would look in a Photo, If no matter what you do you imagine the play of light in your camera then you are a photographer. Go with it what we say or do should not impact you one Iota

One of my favorite movie lines from sister act II: (modified for this instance)

If in the morning you wake up and think of nothing but photography, see things and think about how that would look in a Photo, If no matter what you do you imagine the play of light in your camera then you are a photographer. Go with it what we say or do should not impact you one Iota

LOL i love that! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back