Amazing Opportunity but I need advice.

JLEphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.eldridgestudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I have been asked by my Church to go to Cuba during their next mission trip. My sole purpose would be to, through photography, document the trip. I would have a couple of days to explore Havanna but primarily I will be taking pictures of the people and their families. If you have been to Cuba how do the authorities feel about DSLR cameras.

Any tips if you been there or concerns? I have no intention of taking thousands of dollars worth of equipment but enough to get the job done.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you have been to Cuba how do the authorities feel about DSLR cameras.

You may want to contact the person in your church who is organizing this trip. It might be your fastest way to get a good answer.

BTW:
I smoke cigars!!! hint, hint, hint;)

i thought if americans went to cuba, they couldnt come back? or is that uruguay or something?

If you want info on Americans travelling to Cuba, go the the US State Department's web site www.state.gov, or just do a quick Bing search: traveling to cuba - Bing

If you're worried about theft of your photography gear while traveling or while in a foreign country, talk to an insurance agent.

Out of the 63,000 TPF members I'd bet you'd be lucky to find 2 that could answer your question about how the Cuban authorities feel about cameras of any kind, and I'd also bet those 2 aren't active members and won't see your query until 2 months after you get back.

Does anyone out there really know how to use the Internet? :lmao:

As Canadians, we have few or no problems in Cuba. I would suggest two cameras a DSLR with a wide angle and telephoto zoom and a good quality compact/pocket camera with a good zoom and manual options.

I would also suggest that you learn some Spanish. It is really easy to learn although apparently I speak it with a German accent, although I am a Canadian with no German background.:lmao:

skieur

Does anyone out there really know how to use the Internet? :lmao:

Yes
Come to this site, post a question, and wait for your response.;):mrgreen:

I've been to Cuba a few times and it's probably one of the safest places to travel. No one would even consider the thought of stealing anything since the penalties are quite severe. I took pictures of military people and their vehicles and pretty much everything else I could shoot and was never bothered. Cuba is quite poor and tourists are a huge part of their economy which is great for anyone visiting. To sum it up, I would rather forget my camera bag on a bench in Cuba than anywhere in North America.

I know nothing about Cuba except that it's illegal for U.S. citizens to travel there. If you take a bunch of photos - I can see big brother using them as evidence to prosecute you.

I know nothing about Cuba except that it's illegal for U.S. citizens to travel there. If you take a bunch of photos - I can see big brother using them as evidence to prosecute you.

You are out-of-touch with with the reality of travelling in Cuba.

skieur

You are out-of-touch with with the reality of travelling in Cuba.

skieur

The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

Cuba

Here is a litte side note for the OP

Cuba has announced that as of May 2010 it will start requiring visitors to have non-U.S. medical insurance, and will sell a temporary policy to those who do not have it

So from what I read, the OP needs a license from the US, and would probably get it based on a religious basis.

While it is possible to go to Mexico, Canada, Jamaica or some other 3rd country before going to Cuba, I would hate to have to explain my passport history to the guy checking.

Taking photos in Cuba is not a problem for Canadians, Judd and Dan, so for most tourist type shots, I doubt there would be any problems for Americans either.

I get the impression that for Americans there are more problems with their own authorities than with Cuba.

skieur

So, I have been asked by my Church to go to Cuba during their next mission trip. My sole purpose would be to, through photography, document the trip. I would have a couple of days to explore Havanna but primarily I will be taking pictures of the people and their families. If you have been to Cuba how do the authorities feel about DSLR cameras.

Any tips if you been there or concerns? I have no intention of taking thousands of dollars worth of equipment but enough to get the job done.

I went on a mission trip to Jacksonville, FL.

I assume you are talking about the mission people and their families. I had a great time in Jacksonville, FL. What an experience to see the homeless and really see how fortunate we really are.

I don't see any problems with cameras there. As said in previous posts, tourism is a big thing down there. In essence, you are nothing more than a tourist....except with you, there is a specific purpose.

Not sure what you are shooting with, but I took EVERYTHING I had at the time. D300, D80, 70-200, 105 macro......everything. You NEVER know what you will need. I carried 40 pounds of equimpent around for 4 days.

I was there to document, that's what what I brought the equipment to do, document. You might consider doing the same. As I said, I'm not sure the lens you have.

If I had a choice, 2 bodies, one telephoto, one wide angle and a past prime. Other than that, I'd suggest everything.

~Michael~

Most reactions

New Topics

Back