Ambush Predator Photography

scorpion_tyr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
lawrenceburnsphotography.yolasite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a unique opportunity to work with a non-profit wildlife research group this summer documenting large wildlife in remote areas in Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. My previous wildlife photography experience was primarily small animals such as spiders, snakes, birds, etc. Now I will be attempting to obtain photographic documentation of large predators and large ambush predators such as bears, wolves, mountain lions, etc.

The safety and risk management aspect of the assignment is covered as well as it can be. If any of you have experience in this area any advise, tips, or techniques would be much appreciated!

Note: It has been a long time since I've posted here so if this is in the wrong place I apologize.

My guess is that your will be going out with experienced people from the non-profit. Let them teach you. There is very little difference between the methods used for hunting and taking photographs of animals. Your best bet is to find a hunter in that area, which you can do by an internet search for archery and gun clubs. They know the land and critters and all the hunters I know, me included, are happy to share their experiences in the fields and forests. Another good resource is the DNR (Department of Natural Resources). Go to any State or Federal Park and they'll be happy to talk to you. As far as safety goes, if an animal does not think you are a meal, want to take its meal, or a threat, they will leave you alone. They all avoid fights that are not easy to win unless they absolutely have to fight. Most hunters get hurt by falling out of a tree, twisting an ankle or breaking a leg walking to and from their hunting spots. Very rarely do you hear of animal attacks.

You are going to want effective camo for the area, cover your scent, have a quiet camera like a mirrorless body using electronic shutter with very long glass. My favorite is a 600mm f/4. Have fun and good luck. Share some of your pictures with us.

I would look into motion detectors to fire the shutter. With multiple set ups you can cover lots of ground and narrow down the most promising places to setup.

After defining where to shot, the next thing you need is patience and lots of it. It can take weeks and even months to get a few good shots.

You mostly see wild hogs, unlikely to see a wolf, coyote for sure can’t throw a rock and not hit a coyote in those parts.

Most reactions

Back