What's new

Amazon's sale on lens with a purchase of a DSLR - Question, is it worth it?

volmon

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 30, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all, I am new here but am glad I found this site - SO MUCH INFORMATION!

Anyway, I apologize if it has been brought up already, but I couldn't find it while searching. I noticed Amazon has a sale for two more days when you buy a DSLR you can get money off on certain lens as followed:

Instant Savings Amount by Lens
$250 off Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Nikkor Telephoto Zoom Lens. Enter code SA4Z6LKH at checkout.
$200 off Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens. Enter code BYL8J3UZ at checkout.
$100 off Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX ED VR Micro Nikkor Lens. Enter code PJZN3WIO at checkout.
$100 off Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens. Enter code DXW4O8VF at checkout.
$100 off Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens. Enter code 2FZ5F6DQ at checkout.
$100 off Nikon 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens. Enter code 68OTDI5U at checkout.

I have been without a DSLR for a couple years now (lost mine in a break up - boo!) And I have eyed the Nikon d7000 since release. I am about to pull the trigger, but I am trying to decide if it is worth buying through Amazon and getting another lens. With this sale, one could get the body only and the 18-200 for around 1850 instead of the 1450 for the 18 - 105 . That has been one of my conundrums, is they first lens worth 400 dollars more and does it merit buying it now while on sale. Or... if I go with the kit lens, are any of these other lens really worth the sale price? Should I just keep saving and buy better lens down the round?

I do (i guess I should write did) a bunch of different shooting, and have been a paid photographer a while back (I wouldn't call myself a professional, but I was paid to take portraits and landscapes). I just do not have much experience with differing lenses and any help would be wonderful.

Thank you ahead of time!
 
Watch this


Then think about everything you know about photography. Then just buy glass. You have a really good (and still relevant) body, don't bother with another. Just get good glass.a

And if you have enough money to be tossing around all them bills on consumer-grade equipment, maybe it's time to donate. I'm currently taking donations for my "get this guy a damn RF already" fund.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
no.

while they aren't bad lenses (is there such a thing?) they aren't any listed I'd be interested in with exception of the 70-300 :sexywink:
 
Last edited:
Watch this


Then think about everything you know about photography. Then just buy glass. You have a really good (and still relevant) body, don't bother with another. Just get good glass.a

And if you have enough money to be tossing around all them bills on consumer-grade equipment, maybe it's time to donate. I'm currently taking donations for my "get this guy a damn RF already" fund.


Maybe I was not clear, I don't have a body. I am buying a D7000. This sale is going on for a few more days, so I wanted to know if it was worth buying an extra lens at this time since it will be discounted. I will eventually buy more lens after I have worked through this camera a bit - but if I can save 100 to 250 dollars now on a lens I might want, I would not mind buying a lens early.

I really enjoyed the video though, comical and informing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My bad, I need to read more. Seriously though, I'd skip the zooms. Still watch the vid however.
 
I might spring for the 85mm f/3.5 macro lens if you're into macro photography. That wouldn't be a bad price for a decent entry-level macro lens. I'd also pick up something else as well - but it might serve as a starter walk-around lens too since it's a DX specific lens. I'm no expert, though.
 
Instant Savings Amount by Lens
$250 off Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II Nikkor Telephoto Zoom Lens. Enter code SA4Z6LKH at checkout.

Some like this lens for general jack of all trades lens. And those from the P&S crowd who hate changing lens. Personally I don't understand the I bought a dslr for ability to change lenses for the specific need at the time. And also this is a pretty expensive lens for general all-in-one with their inherit design limitations.

$200 off Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens. Enter code BYL8J3UZ at checkout.

Best under $500 zoom lens there is. Good build and sharp optics. A classic favorite among those that shoot sports,wildlife,etc. And my goto lens for such events.

$100 off Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX ED VR Micro Nikkor Lens. Enter code PJZN3WIO at checkout.

No personal experience with this lens. It is considered a portrait lens length. For many recommend a 35mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.8 as their first prime.

Primes are great to have. Generally don't recommend them until a person has shot with one of the kit lenses and defined exactly what their needs end up to be. Then custom buy the focal lengths that will do the most good to their style and needs of shooting.

$100 off Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens. Enter code DXW4O8VF at checkout.

Newest of the Dx only lenses. Optics are as sharp as the 70-300vr and is about a third smaller and lighter than the 70-300vr. Tho the AF is also a tad bit slower. So not the optimum choice for sports or wildlife. Mount is metal but rest of lenses is plastic.

$100 off Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens. Enter code 2FZ5F6DQ at checkout.

My walkabout daily lens. Light,Compact and less intrusive and noticeable when out and about shooting around people. Sharp and probably the Best Bang for the buck zoom for under $200 new and a steal at $150 or $100? with discount.

$100 off Nikon 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens. Enter code 68OTDI5U at checkout.

This is the non-VR version of above and don't recommend at all when the VR version is only a little more and VR adds to the ability in using for static shots in lower light situations.

I have eyed the Nikon d7000 since release. I am about to pull the trigger, but I am trying to decide if it is worth buying through Amazon and getting another lens. With this sale, 1450 for the 18 - 105 .

Also just starting with the 18-105 and get to know the camera and your style of shooting for the first 3-6 months then add lenses later. And maybe a 35mm or 50mm f1.8 to start?

My "By Lens" sets. Should give an idea of Image IQ and types of shooting with. And really comes down to needs and style of individual. As many would never even consider the 55-200vr as a street lens. I on the other have do for my style and preference.

Good luck and congrats on D7000 as is an outstanding camera which I wished I could afford.
.
 
Thank you everyone for the help, it is great to get some opinions on these lens, I was not sure if it was a good deal or not.

Right now I am thinking about just getting the kit lens, and spend the extra money on a Speedlight
 
That's a great idea. When first starting out in photography... chances are that if you end up spending a bunch of money up front, you'll have bought the wrong setup for whatever shooting style you may develop - Murphy's Law I suppose. Buying 2 lower-end lenses with your body doesn't make much sense to start with. What I ended up doing is getting the kit lens with my Canon body, and then added 2 primes. The kit lens is almost never on my camera. For general walking around, it's my 50mm f/1.4 and for taking shots of people where I don't want to get quite as close, it's the 85mm f/1.8. Granted, if I'd spent $1400 and gotten the 24-70 f/2.8 I think I would have been completely happy at the get-go. But had I bought 2 cheap $2-300 lenses, I'd absolutely be wishing I hadn't. You'll find pretty quickly that with the cheaper glass you end up pretty limited by lighting situations.
 
That was what I figured... Just wanted some feedback. In the job I had as a photographer, I used the d-70 primarily, had a lot of experience with the lighting and using the speedlight (although I am guessing the 700 is not as good as the 800 we were using regularly) but never really changed up lens that often, as most of our work was done on the 18-105 (i believe, still trying to remember) or the 70-200. So although I have a decent understanding of composition and lighting, I'm pretty novice at lens. I have been doing a lot of reading lately. Also, I found out that I was wrong about the sale, it lasts until october 1st... But I think my decision stands with the flash over the extra glass for now.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom