Greetings from Australia

Bollygum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've posted here a few times now and I hadn't introduced myself, so I thought I'd do it.

I am 67 years old and I live in far NE NSW, just to the SW of Byron Bay, which is the most easterly point of the Australian mainland. I live on 8 acres of land in an area that used to be sub-tropical lowland rain-forest and still is if you let it. I have planted about 2,000 native trees on my property plus many smaller plants, and it is fast becoming a cross between a park and a rain-forest. The wildlife on the property includes about 100 different bird species, 3 species of possum, 10 species of snake, 10 species of frog, countless spiders and insects, sugar gliders, bandicoots, wallabies, echidnas, goannas, water dragons, giant freshwater crayfish and a platypus family. There are also a vast array of fungi growing here including luminous fungi, which can be a lot of fun on hot, wet, summer nights. We can also take day trips into some World Heritage areas of temperate rain-forest remnants from Gondwanaland, and it is just a 15 minute drive to some of the best beaches in the world. There are also wild beaches within 90 minutes where there are rarely any people, just you and the eagles and whales and dolphins.

I retired from working with computers about 10 years ago and now my main hobby is photography, with my main focus being nature photography and mostly fungi photography. It was strictly a hobby, but over time that has become professional and I now provide photos and time-lapse to all sorts of people, ranging from the BBC's Planet Earth 2 to the Kunming Institute of Botany to National Geographic Magazine. I also give presentations and run photographic courses and get to travel to some of the wildest places on our planet, in search of mushrooms.

I am a relatively recent photographer, with all my skills being with digital photography as I never really took to film. I bought a 1 MP digital camera in 2000 and gradually built it from there. Now I have 5 full frame cameras, 3 tracking devices, 5 tripods, etc, etc, and I am an ambassador for Sony Australia. Fortunately I enjoy most of it as otherwise I would be looking to retire again.

Good to have another aussie on board. I have not been to Byron Bay or surrounds but from what I have seen and heard a beautiful place to live.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum! Your property sounds amazing - you must never run out of places to go shoot. Keep posting, and enjoy the forum!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back