What's new

America - Keep Out

LShooter

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 29, 2012
Messages
245
Reaction score
65
Location
South Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
7395718464_411507dfeb_c.jpg
 
The title implies a social statement, but there is none in the image. I see some implication of stars and stripes in the background, but the image's strength does not match the title.
 
I would have personally sprayed each bar on that gate, red, white & blue. The green gate overpowers the flag in the background. Maybe focus in on the flag and blur everything else out. Interesting though.
 
The title implies a social statement, but there is none in the image. I see some implication of stars and stripes in the background, but the image's strength does not match the title.

I agree.

Also, the upbeat and cheerful script in your signature seems out of place on a heavy social-political image (although this image isn't quite hitting that weight).
 
The title implies a social statement, but there is none in the image. I see some implication of stars and stripes in the background, but the image's strength does not match the title.

I agree.

Also, the upbeat and cheerful script in your signature seems out of place on a heavy social-political image (although this image isn't quite hitting that weight).

in all reality though, how many people here change their signature line every time they post a different type of photo?
 
The title implies a social statement, but there is none in the image. I see some implication of stars and stripes in the background, but the image's strength does not match the title.

I agree.

Also, the upbeat and cheerful script in your signature seems out of place on a heavy social-political image (although this image isn't quite hitting that weight).

in all reality though, how many people here change their signature line every time they post a different type of photo?

Right. The point I failed to include is that a mood-neutral signature is the best choice. It would be better in this case, and suitable for different types of photos.
 
Interesting views and opinions. If I had titled it "No Trespassing" I don't think anyone would have even noticed the American colors beyond the fence. Also, my signature is my signature and I'm not going to change it for the mood of the photo, though I think it's an interesting point. In a real print there would be no signature anyhow.
 
I do like the mismatch of the nice well maintained fence and the wire tied ugly sign. The flag could definitely be more prominent, or maybe one of those little flags jammed in the wire tie next to the sign. Although of course then it wouldn't be a found image.
 
Yeah but of all the countries I've been to, US is the only one that has signs like that.

Other places just talk about their adorable puppies that you may encounter should you enter uninvited.
 
Frankly I didn't even notice the flag in the background until someone pointed it out. The over saturation of the no trespassing sign draws too much weight in the photograph. It's hard to see past it. To me, it just looked like you walked past the sign on the street and snapped the shutter without even stopping to get a better angle or compose the shot. That is of course just my opinion.
 
It's composed exactly how I intented it to be. I live in south Texas where people try to cross the border all the time. They see large gates, guards, fences, etc. which are promiment, while in the distance, is the land of opportunity; blurred, distant, and out of reach.
 
LShooter said:
It's composed exactly how I intented it to be. I live in south Texas where people try to cross the border all the time. They see large gates, guards, fences, etc. which are promiment, while in the distance, is the land of opportunity; blurred, distant, and out of reach.

I am not saying you didn't compose it how you wanted to. Not at all. I am just saying how it looked to me as a viewer. That's all. No biggie
 
There is a myth that simply because the composition was intentional, must mean that it's effective. Just because you intended that the flag be obscured does not mean that the message is clearly represented.

Having the flag obscured is fine, but not to the extent that it is practically invisible. At which point, all the audience sees is a normal fence with a normal no trespassing sign. We see it all the time without any significance towered any socio-political issue or problem.

Then again perhaps the flag ought not be obscured. Even if the benefits are "blurred, distant and unobtainable", what the United States represents is very clear in the minds of hopeful immigrants.
 
btw, "no trespassing" doesn't mean "keep out". So the sign does not even fit the title.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom