American Kestrel enjoying the morning sun

Oh good! Another bird photographer to try and emulate. These were delightful.

I have to agree, #1 is just great, love the colors. and the processing seems to be very well done. its right on the edge of being a little too clean, but I like it.

if anything maybe a little less "clean" not sure if you used like a topaz clean or luminance? either way I try to be careful when I use it to get enough clean to cleanup the background noise brought on by sharping yet not too much as you start to see strange and un-natural things happen in branches look a little too fake and smooth. but really its a mater of preference and your own processing look. I like to try to keep most of my images on the edge, as they still look very real, but that very very slight tough of art smoothness. if that makes sense.

I guess the other thing to look out for if you do selective sharping or selective noise reduction, is watch out for that crisp edge on the subject or in focus objects and background. sometimes that makes it look a bit un-natural

but really the first image is great as is, I wouldn't change it. some images I do the same, make them look a little bit cleaner for the artsy type look

I have to agree, #1 is just great, love the colors. and the processing seems to be very well done. its right on the edge of being a little too clean, but I like it.

if anything maybe a little less "clean" not sure if you used like a topaz clean or luminance? either way I try to be careful when I use it to get enough clean to cleanup the background noise brought on by sharping yet not too much as you start to see strange and un-natural things happen in branches look a little too fake and smooth. but really its a mater of preference and your own processing look. I like to try to keep most of my images on the edge, as they still look very real, but that very very slight tough of art smoothness. if that makes sense.

I guess the other thing to look out for if you do selective sharping or selective noise reduction, is watch out for that crisp edge on the subject or in focus objects and background. sometimes that makes it look a bit un-natural

but really the first image is great as is, I wouldn't change it. some images I do the same, make them look a little bit cleaner for the artsy type look

Very good C&C Matthew. PP can be maddening.

1 in the first post is spectacular, everything about that shot is spot on.

2 I'd have liked to have seen cropped a bit closer to the bird, I know you are giving a bit of room and compositional stuff but I think that ones colouring is spectacular enough to warrant being really big in the frame.

In the second post, again great images. The only possible thing I think I could say is that in the middle one the wing tip is cropped off, but you know that yourself. There is no other possible thing I could critise these for, and they are all well above my league.

That last one is simply brilliant, I've never seen an osprey swimming before!

Thank you Matthew - I am working on my post processing abilities and will certainly keep your advice in mind as I move forward. I appreciate the feedback :) In processing I had bumped up the luminance slightly and my clarity.

1 in the first post is spectacular, everything about that shot is spot on.

2 I'd have liked to have seen cropped a bit closer to the bird, I know you are giving a bit of room and compositional stuff but I think that ones colouring is spectacular enough to warrant being really big in the frame.

In the second post, again great images. The only possible thing I think I could say is that in the middle one the wing tip is cropped off, but you know that yourself. There is no other possible thing I could critise these for, and they are all well above my league.

That last one is simply brilliant, I've never seen an osprey swimming before!

Thank you Weepete - I originally had #2 cropped tighter however changed it at the last moment before posting. I am working on my cropping as I am unsure how tight crops should be, but I will do some work on this and see what I can come up with. I was so disappointed when I saw I clipped the osprey's wing in what otherwise might have been a fairly decent shot. Who knew ospreys swam lol - I just loved his look - he has the stupidest look on his face !

untitled-3 by Jacaranda Photos - Wifey, on Flickr

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back