amount of pictures?

gagey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just wondering when you do a normal photo shoot that last about an hour or so how many pictures do you tend to shoot?

what about a wedding do you have a set limit or do you just shoot the whole time you are there to capture every moment?

I think its highly dangerous to limit yourself to X number of shots when working for a client - of course any photographer will have limits and its in your best interest to optimise your shooting to ensure that you don't have too much wastage (that means a lot of time spent sorting through shots after the event).

In the end you won't get paid for your fail shots and they could end up costing you time as you sort through them - however you are paid for your success shots - the shots that work for you and your client. Therefore doing your best to ensure you have the most keeper shots from any given event is in your best interest since its those shots that will drive your income.

Keep shooting! I never limit myself to 'X' and nor do I ever promise the client 'Y'. As mentioned, it will take longer to sort as you have to weed out the junk, but I would much rather take that extra time and be able to hand the client an other-wise potentially missed 'Wow!' shot.

thanks! i ususally take a ton of pictures but i wasnt sure if i should keep doing that or not. I feel like when ever I hired someone they only did so many shoots but I always felt like I didnt have alot to choose from so I was trying to give alot of choices. but I was just wondering what others did.

Just use your common sense. If the situation you are in is working for you (a spot with really good light) then shoot like crazy. But if the lighting is poor, then rather than shooting more, find a way to improve your situation, either by changing the lighting or moving etc.

Everyone seams to do it differently...I just caution against the 'spray & pray' mentality. If the photos aren't working...just shooting more won't help. Assess the situation and decide what to do.

I was just wondering when you do a normal photo shoot that last about an hour or so how many pictures do you tend to shoot?

what about a wedding do you have a set limit or do you just shoot the whole time you are there to capture every moment?

I set minimums.

I tell the client how many previews to expect for selection. So, for an hour session, I might say "40+ previews shown."

-Pete

Having once undershot a job, I now always over shoot -- the down side (having to sort through a ton of photos) is not as bad, believe me.

I don't have a number - as long as event is captured and tells a story. HOWEVER, when clients ask how many photos they'll get - candids about 60+/hr and each one will be different.
Formals - Not much can be done with a Groom (a suit) but with a Bride+dress (train) + veil + flowers sky is the limit :D.
It is unfortunate that today both photographers and clients care MORE about number of images then QUALITY of images. Just shows the direction of the industry...

thank you for the info!

Just use your common sense. If the situation you are in is working for you (a spot with really good light) then shoot like crazy. But if the lighting is poor, then rather than shooting more, find a way to improve your situation, either by changing the lighting or moving etc.

Everyone seams to do it differently...I just caution against the 'spray & pray' mentality. If the photos aren't working...just shooting more won't help. Assess the situation and decide what to do.

This is the best point and for people relatively new to photography an awesome point to remember.

Most reactions

Back