An Absolute Dog :)

paulpippin29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A good friend of mine's dog here, nothing special, but I as usual, thought they were descent, though I'm sure I won't after posting them here, which is what I absolutely love about this place :) You folks make me a better photographer with each passing day, and thank you as always for that :) Oh, only 6 pictures this time :)

02-1.jpg

01-1.jpg

03-1.jpg

04-1.jpg

05.jpg

06-1.jpg

Cute dog, I really love #5 and #6 looks like exactly what I think about when I think of a lap dog. #7 would be right in there but his paw is kind of making him close his left eye.

#1 is really good also, I just like 5 and 6 better since you can his/her eyes more.

#2 his/her face has a little bit of a shadow across his face and makes his/her body a little blown out

#3 pretty good, I just like 5 and 6 better

Overall, good job! I know what you mean about loving this forum. It's always great having an unbiased opinion from people, great critiques, and of course help with choosing equipment.

Thanks Brett!

I've REALLY got to start paying more attention to lighting. Your comment about #2 and the shadow is very correct.

Thanks again my friend.

Great series. I don't care for #1 and #3 too much, but the others (especially the last 3) really capture this dog well.

Yeah, the light...as you become technically more familar with your camera and more comfortable with your shooting you'll start to be more and more aware of the light hitting your subject. It's something that will come in time as you keep shooting.

Thanks Samanax... I appreciate your comment.

As for paying attention to the lighting... I guess I figure that since all of my shots are done using available light, whether it be indoor or out, I just figure that it will have to do. I think I need to get some type of external flash unit, and do some "bouncing" with it, as there is no way that I could afford a lighting rig, especially one that would just be available at anytime, which is when I shoot mostly... just random times, places, and subjects. I typically have my camera with me at all times, but don't actually "plan" on shooting anything at all, it just happens.

Thanks again though for your comment, or compliment should I say, as it's greatly appreciated.

Nice shots but I think they would look much better if you had taken them with the dog on a plain blanket as the striped one is distracting to my eye. Perhaps a dark or cream blanket would do the job.

Thanks Caveman, and yet another good point that I didn't think about, and am now imagining these images with a darker colored sheet or blanket, and they would indeed look better.

I agree about the busy background, I think a solid contrasting color to the dog would have been better. That said, I tend to look for one thing in pet photos whether they be portraits or snapshots, and that is for the animal's personality. If I look at a pet photo and it makes me smile because the photographer has managed to capture the essence of the animal's personality, then I like the photos and I feel you've done this quite well. Good job.

I love no 2 the most and maybe if you moved yourself a little bit to the left, you can capture both the big eyes! :) And like caveman said, I think plain background would be less distracting.

By the way, the dog looked like he's smiling in no. 2! Don't you think so? :D Cute dog indeed.

Thanks Dagwood and Noritje :)

Yes, definately a cute dog, and now I need to photograph her again for sure. I might try to set this up for tonight in fact :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back