Thanks for all the posts. The focus is sharp (well as sharp as its going to be at 300mm) so I am not worried about sending the lens back. The B&W macro has the exact same effect as the one I posted, with most of the photo being out of focus. Simple mechanics of DOF. It was slightly stopped down from wide open, but obviously not enough. This is my first lens in this range that had any decent magnification, so I am not used to having to stop down so far to get focus. I'll reshoot this tonight or tomorrow to get more in focus.
The bottom of the stem and everything to the left and right of that area is in focus. top of the stem isn't because it is leaning towards the camera. This is also all done manual focus, because the AF was searching a little too much. Also this is my first macro with this lens, so I will certainly be producing more.
Thanks again. Oh and LaFoto, if you are checking this again, you dont think the green is too strong do you?