An Apple

xfloggingkylex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just testing out my new Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, since it has been to cloudy and rainy to take it outdoors, I finally set up the tripod to test out the 1:2 macro.

Appleforweb.jpg

Not trying to put you down or anything ... but it doesn't look too sharp to me. Here's a snap taken with my macro ... I'd take the lens back if you're sure about the focus.
36876522-L.jpg

I would do a little experimenting before I sent the lens back, it seems as if there is and very thing sliver of DOF in the photo, part of the stem looks sharp to me. What was your zoom set at? Aperture? Also, what was the plane of the camera in relation to the object?

Also, my eyes my be trying to give your lens the benefit of the doubt and if what i do think I see in focus is, then something else quite strange is going on.

DOF is minute in the setting you chose (you went wide open to make most use of the light through the window?), but I see the bottom part of the stem in focus.

Your photographing over the top of the apple makes what little DOF you have seem even less, which is difficult.
The photo of the droplets which is to serve as example is taken more from above the wet leaf, looking down on the area in focus, not "across" it ...

Keep trying to take macros since they are great fun, and maybe stop down your camera more to increase DOF a little (it will always remain shallow in macro photography, but just so you get more than a millimetre of DOF) ... all in all I like the idea and ...

...the colour of the apple :biggrin: !

Thanks for all the posts. The focus is sharp (well as sharp as its going to be at 300mm) so I am not worried about sending the lens back. The B&W macro has the exact same effect as the one I posted, with most of the photo being out of focus. Simple mechanics of DOF. It was slightly stopped down from wide open, but obviously not enough. This is my first lens in this range that had any decent magnification, so I am not used to having to stop down so far to get focus. I'll reshoot this tonight or tomorrow to get more in focus.

The bottom of the stem and everything to the left and right of that area is in focus. top of the stem isn't because it is leaning towards the camera. This is also all done manual focus, because the AF was searching a little too much. Also this is my first macro with this lens, so I will certainly be producing more.

Thanks again. Oh and LaFoto, if you are checking this again, you dont think the green is too strong do you?

Green? Too strong?
You must be kidding ;) !!! ;) ;) ;)

Most reactions

Back