What's new

An Assignment on Composition

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
5,014
Reaction score
1,968
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yay I'm in another photography class.

And the first assignment is due today and it's over composition. And for some reason EVERY class I've taken has a composition assignment and it's ALWAYS architecture/landscapes. I have come to loathe both of those things more than I did before I had to photgraph them for class. Architecture, unless you live somewhere awesome is boring as hell, and landscapes has a lot to do with being in the right place at the right time and I am just not that lucky. lol

So here are the top 4 that I chose (not in any particular order). We had to turn in the RAW files (eww) but I edited these to my liking.

1.


2.


3.


4.
 
Last edited:
rexbobcat said:
Yay I'm in another photography class.

And the first assignment is due today and it's over composition. And for some reason EVERY class I've taken has a composition assignment and it's ALWAYS architecture/landscapes. I have come to loathe both of those things more than I did before I had to photgraph them for class. Architecture, unless you live somewhere awesome is boring as hell, and landscapes has a lot to do with being in the right place at the right time and I am just not that lucky. lol

So here are the top 4 that I chose (not in any particular order). We had to turn in the RAW files (eww) but I edited these to my liking.

1.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56124907@N05/8005969004/

2.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56124907@N05/8005967867/

3.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56124907@N05/8005995761/

4.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56124907@N05/8005967083/

That sucks that it had to be architecture/landscape. I would have a hard time with those but maybe that's the point. I think you did a good job - not that it means much coming from me - but I really like the 2nd one and the last one.

How many photography classes are you taking??
 
Well, I took one in the spring semester and the professor was just...She didn't ever do any post-processing to any of her photos. Ever. She was just...not very good.

My professor this semester is awesome (I took a photo class in May during the dead period before summer classes started), but I also heard he grades really hard as a few of my friends have taken his class. And it sucks because (I'm not trying to boast here), he knows what I am and am not capable of compared to the other students (this is an introductory class), so I feel that he's going to grade me harder. lol

I think I did alright but the fact that we have to turn in RAW files make me cringe.

Here's his website: http://www.jerodfoster.com/
 
Hi there :D
#1 : the light shadow of leaves and branches on the right top corner adds some flavor, where as the harsh triangular shadow on the left bottom corner has an adverse effect on the composition, i feel

#2: almost similar feeling here also
#3: The brick wall occupying too much of the frame
#4: That is an excellent piece; this compensates the rest for me :thumbsup:
Regards :D
 
Architecture and landscapes are probably selected since they don't move around on you, so you have a chance of setting up a composition and having it stay put for a minute while you shoot it!

These are all pretty much fine. The first three are all basically the same -- you have a flat wall, and you've positioned some stuff on it and relative to it in what you hope is a harmonious way. I think they're pretty harmonious, generally. As far as I can see, that's all you have done -- which is probably fine, since that's the assignment. I am not feeling any commentary, I am not feeling any real effort to invoke a sense of "place" or any of that stuff. These could almost be abstracts or graphic designs for all you care (I think).

The third one is quite nice, and is obviously quite different. Again you're trying for harmonious presentation of elements, but there's some depth to it, once gets a sense of architecture-in-context. Paths, roads, alleys, always invoke a sense of motion and travel, so you get that pretty much free, which is nice. The starbursty sun is a bit trite, but what the hell, it's a good element.
 
It probably doesn't fit within your assignment's parameters, but I find myself wishing you'd done more with the "eyes" in the second one.
 
Architecture and landscapes are probably selected since they don't move around on you, so you have a chance of setting up a composition and having it stay put for a minute while you shoot it!

These are all pretty much fine. The first three are all basically the same -- you have a flat wall, and you've positioned some stuff on it and relative to it in what you hope is a harmonious way. I think they're pretty harmonious, generally. As far as I can see, that's all you have done -- which is probably fine, since that's the assignment. I am not feeling any commentary, I am not feeling any real effort to invoke a sense of "place" or any of that stuff. These could almost be abstracts or graphic designs for all you care (I think).

The third one is quite nice, and is obviously quite different. Again you're trying for harmonious presentation of elements, but there's some depth to it, once gets a sense of architecture-in-context. Paths, roads, alleys, always invoke a sense of motion and travel, so you get that pretty much free, which is nice. The starbursty sun is a bit trite, but what the hell, it's a good element.

Yes. Well-put.
 
Architecture and landscapes are probably selected since they don't move around on you, so you have a chance of setting up a composition and having it stay put for a minute while you shoot it!

These are all pretty much fine. The first three are all basically the same -- you have a flat wall, and you've positioned some stuff on it and relative to it in what you hope is a harmonious way. I think they're pretty harmonious, generally. As far as I can see, that's all you have done -- which is probably fine, since that's the assignment. I am not feeling any commentary, I am not feeling any real effort to invoke a sense of "place" or any of that stuff. These could almost be abstracts or graphic designs for all you care (I think).

The third one is quite nice, and is obviously quite different. Again you're trying for harmonious presentation of elements, but there's some depth to it, once gets a sense of architecture-in-context. Paths, roads, alleys, always invoke a sense of motion and travel, so you get that pretty much free, which is nice. The starbursty sun is a bit trite, but what the hell, it's a good element.

Yeah I know what you mean by not having a sense of place. That's one thing I struggle with when it comes to architecture. I have one photo that is very recognizable and it does tell a story, but it was shot at 24mm and some of the technical elements I don't like. I've tried soooo hard to get a storytelling photo of a building or structure that I like but I just don't have either the skills to capture it in a way that looks both intriguing and pleasing, or I just don't have the eye for it. When I look at buildings what I see are abstracts/"artsy" photographs.

That's one reason why I dislike shooting them. I always do the worst on this assignment because I never give the professor what they're looking for. I'm used to that though so it's no surprise when I get my grade back. lol XD
 
The fourth shot is my favorite with its depth and the way sun is highlighting the worn and uneven bricks.

I like the layered look of the third shot but it lacks depth and perspective without many angles or shadows.
 
I think some things to broaden your horizons are:

- try it from any angle OTHER than dead on.
- try it from any point of view OTHER than an eye at street level.
- try it with other elements in the frame. google up "stieglitz flatiron building" to see how the master did it, just as a for instance.
- try closeups of architectural details, column bases, cornerstones, stairs, railings, windows.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom