An image from a recent senior session

NateWagner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.loneoakphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had the opportunity to do a senior session in Florida over Christmas, so the weather was actually rather nice.

anyway, here's a shot from it, probably on of my more favorites from the set.

Feel free to comment and or critique.

3193430085_d7412c52d3.jpg

rosa-5.jpg

Last edited:
I think this is a decent shot. I feel like your black & white conversion runs a little flat.

Did you add a vignette?

jlykins: Thanks for the comment :)

RowmyF: thanks for the comment as well, by it falling flat are you suggesting I use a conversion that has a bit more contrast? or... it just doesn't work?

also, there is a bit of a vignette. I try to keep it relatively minimal though.

I think her right arm blends into the background too closely.. But I really like the pose and the subject.

Ststinner: you're right about the arms... they do blend in quite a bit with the background.

and to RowmyF: As you've said, and others have said the B&W conversion of this might be a little flat, or boring. I attempted to redo the conversion and reprocessing. Let me know if this is any better.

Take 2:
3194719551_f5a4c76213.jpg

Funny, sometimes I look at people, well, all the time when I look at people, I think something about them-kinda like a stereotype, but not necessarily in a bad way. When I looked at this person, I thought, "She looks like a really sweet, really smart girl." Maybe partly due to the shoes-I find them adorable.

For me, when I see B&W photos, and I don't know if I'm alone in this camp, but I tend to think that the photographer was trying to achieve a look of the past.. Or make the picture look old.. When I see modern glasses, such as this girls, it kinda throws the picture off for me. Again, maybe I'm the only one that thinks this way, but just like another B&W picture I saw of a bike rack where a bike was parked that had a rear shock, I just couldn't wrap my brain around it.

Just my 0.02.

Last edited:
Great shot!

A few things you need to think about:

1. The eyes are a little out of focus, not a great deal just a little. Maybe next time have the subject take off her glasses.

2. This shot could of done without so much head room, I think it still looks good anyways but less headroom would bring more focus to the subject.

3. If you can you should put a background lite in a shot like this so the arms and white shirt will not blend in. This shot looks like it was natural lighting , a few reflectors would be great to contrast the subject from the background.

ststinner: that's interesting... I can see when it's done that way, but I guess I don't draw any connections between the modern glasses and the fact that it's B&W.

ShutterCraft: Thanks for taking the time to comment.

This is not intended to come off as defensive, but, In response to your #1 comment based on the size of the eyes in this photo, and the size of the photo in general I'm rather shocked you're commenting on the sharpness of the eyes (especially since as you could tell if looking at the full sized photo they are quite sharp).

As far as number two, I appreciate the comment and will take it into consideration, however I really don't think there's all that much headroom (she's solidly on the rule of thirds line... and there's also room such that if they order 4:5 crops or 5:7 they will still include all of her.

#3 that would have been helpful, I didn't notice how much she blended in in the original photo.

oh, and glasses are a sticky subject with me,and many of the people I work with. They often feel that everybody knows them with their glasses (she pretty much never has them off), so she felt as though it would be misrepresenting her to have them off.

I do agree though that they are a pain, and a hassle to work around, and here it would make her eyes more visible.

I love your second conversion, the contrast is great, she is nice and sharp. It also improves the issue of her hand blending into the background.
If she wears glasses, of course keep them on.
You did great.

Most reactions

Back