Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Godox AD360II-N: For a while I've been wanting/needing a portable light with more oomph than a speedlight, but also with HSS; the Godox AD 360II seemed to fill the bill. After talking to Ron Lane and reading a number of reviews on line, I decided to order one of these units. I'm not a huge fan of third-party gear, but but there were enough good things being said about this unit that I didn't think it was a huge leap. It arrived yesterday, and I spent this morning putting it through its paces, and I have to say, I'm very impressed.

Godox%20(2).JPG

Bare tube & reflector

Godox%20(1).JPG

Rear w/ illuminated dot-matrix display

The unit is advertised as being 320 w/s with a GN of 280/85(f/m). Some reasonably accurate testing with flash meters indicated that as one would expect with this sort of gear, those claims were a bit optimistic. I figure it to be more like 250 w/s with a GN of 215/65 but for a speedlight, that's still pretty damn good.

The build quality is very good overall, much better than most of the MiC stuff I've seen. My only real complaint is the twist-locks that secure the power cord DIN plugs into their receptacles. These seem a bit rough and clunky, but they do the job. The controls all have a good feel and there's no sensation of "don't press too hard or you'll damage it". The supplied shoulder strap for the battery pack is a bit short, but since it also includes a built-in belt clip, this isn't a huge issue.

On the performance front, some very good,some not quite so good. Using the unit as a fill in full sun in TTL, it was adequate, but barely. That said, I'm not overly concerned as I likely will almost never use it that way. As a manual flash, it works very well, 'though the 5600K claimed colour temperature isn't quite as consistent as it could be. Again though, for the price and the overall performance, that's something I can live with. What really impressed me however was the HSS performance (the feature for which I especially wanted this unit). I dropped the extra few dollars for the HSS capable X1N wireless trigger (the flash unit has a built-in receiver) which makes controlling it from behind the camera very simple. HSS works flawlessly. I had no problems syncing at 1/8000 second.

Godox%20(4).JPG

Trigger

The battery pack has two ports, and mine came with a 'Y' cable allowing me to use both and reduce recycling times significantly. Recycle time for full power is just about 2 seconds, and the unit is supposed to be good for up to 1800 flashes. I feel that too may be a little optimistic, but the couple of hundred pops from today didn't move the power indicator at all.

Godox%20(3).JPG

Battery Pack

Overall I'm very pleased. This isn't Profoto quality or performance, but it's also not Profoto prices. At around $500ish, it's actually cheaper than some of the top-end Canon & Nikon speedlights, and has a lot more power than they do. Operation is simple, and intuitive. Time will tell on the durability front, but I see no reason to expect that it won't last a long time. For someone needing a reasonable amount of portable light and HSS, this is definitely an option worth considering!

Last edited:
I was really hoping for more of a formal review. Could you maybe put on a tuxedo and rewrite this? :)

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

I was really hoping for more of a formal review. Could you maybe put on a tuxedo and rewrite this? :)

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk
I think what he is asking for is for you to put on a Monkey Suit. Now where have we seen that before?

Good review John, I would say it is spot on. My light was the Adorama Streaklight 360 but they are the same flash. I didn't get the Y cord, but I want one. I had issues with the HSS trigger I believe were due to the firmware between the flash and the 7D mk II.

As for the battery pack, I have had mine since like may or so and I think I may have recharged it only 2-3 times and that is just to make sure that it's full.

To combat the HSS issue that I had, I purchased the Phottix Odin trigger and receiver. That has taken care of that issue.

I also recently purchased the 12" beauty dish that is available for it. It comes with a sock and a grid and I really like the combination that get with it.

The Godox AD360II-N: For a while I've been wanting/needing a portable light with more oomph than a speedlight, but also with HSS; the Godox AD 360II seemed to fill the bill. After talking to Ron Lane and reading a number of reviews on line, I decided to order one of these units. I'm not a huge fan of third-party gear, but but there were enough good things being said about this unit that I didn't think it was a huge leap. It arrived yesterday, and I spent this morning putting it through its paces, and I have to say, I'm very impressed.

Godox%20(2).JPG

Bare tube & reflector

Godox%20(1).JPG

Rear w/ illuminated dot-matrix display

The unit is advertised as being 320 w/s with a GN of 280/85(f/m). Some reasonably accurate testing with flash meters indicated that as one would expect with this sort of gear, those claims were a bit optimistic. I figure it to be more like 250 w/s with a GN of 215/65 but for a speedlight, that's still pretty damn good.

The build quality is very good overall, much better than most of the MiC stuff I've seen. My only real complaint is the twist-locks that secure the power cord DIN plugs into their receptacles. These seem a bit rough and clunky, but they do the job. The controls all have a good feel and there's no sensation of "don't press too hard or you'll damage it". The supplied shoulder strap for the battery pack is a bit short, but since it also includes a built-in belt clip, this isn't a huge issue.

On the performance front, some very good,some not quite so good. Using the unit as a fill in full sun in TTL, it was adequate, but barely. That said, I'm not overly concerned as I likely will almost never use it that way. As a manual flash, it works very well, 'though the 5600K claimed colour temperature isn't quite as consistent as it could be. Again though, for the price and the overall performance, that's something I can live with. What really impressed me however was the HSS performance (the feature for which I especially wanted this unit). I dropped the extra few dollars for the HSS capable X1N wireless trigger (the flash unit has a built-in receiver) which makes controlling it from behind the camera very simple. HSS works flawlessly. I had no problems syncing at 1/8000 second.

Godox%20(4).JPG

Trigger

The battery pack has two ports, and mine came with a 'Y' cable allowing me to use both and reduce recycling times significantly. Recycle time for full power is just about 2 seconds, and the unit is supposed to be good for up to 1800 flashes. I feel that too may be a little optimistic, but the couple of hundred pops from today didn't move the power indicator at all.

Godox%20(3).JPG

Battery Pack

Overall I'm very pleased. This isn't Profoto quality or performance, but it's also not Profoto prices. At around $500ish, it's actually cheaper than some of the top-end Canon & Nikon speedlights, and has a lot more power than they do. Operation is simple, and intuitive. Time will tell on the durability front, but I see no reason to expect that it won't last a long time. For someone needing a reasonable amount of portable light and HSS, this is definitely an option worth considering!
Nice review, short, and concise. Look good on your record. You will probably make Sergeant in 10 or 12 years.
wayne-diamond.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back