an old gate C&C

momo3boys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I drive by this old gate fairly regularly and finally took a photograph of it. I like the closer one personally. What do you all think and how can I make it better?

010_edited-2.jpg

008_edited-2.jpg

Hmmmm... this is one of those scenes that [I suspect] looks great when you're there, but can be tough to capture with the camera. In part because of a lack of tonal separation between the subject and the background, and in part because the scene is quite busy. I would try and capture this with lighting; say 2 or 3 speedlights to highlight the gate and reduce the background detail by under-exposure.

I was afraid you'd say that.. I usually see it with the afternoon light behind it. Maybe if I catch it in the morning light? I only have one off-camera flash.

Worth checking out in the morning... things can look very different a few hours different.

I did try BW, but the shades are just to similar and gate just disappears.

I did try BW, but the shades are just to similar and gate just disappears.

This is a bad example, but I don't think the gate disappears. I am a beginner, but here is what I did with it. You can play around with curves to bring focus to areas you want.
edit6.jpg

What's the best way to reduce exposure of just the background?

Flash. Or the adjustment brush in Lightroom. I swear, that brush is like a do-over button in certain situations.

rexbobcat said:
Flash. Or the adjustment brush in Lightroom. I swear, that brush is like a do-over button in certain situations.

Oooh! That's a good idea, I could use my magic brush in PSE!

Personally if it's a gate you pass frequently revisit at a different time. I think it has potential for a good b&w image but the leaves need to have better light for texture

"I just missed Superman!"

I used to walk by an old telephone booth nearly everyday on my way to the post office. One Saturday, as I walked by it yet again, I realized there weren't to many of them left, and decided to photograph it before it disappeared, which it did some 6 months later.

I set up 2 speedlights - one (Nikon SB-800) on a a light stand shooting into a 45" umbrella that was set up to reflect the light onto the phone booth, the other speedlight (SB-600 with a Stofen diffuser on it) was on the ground pointing up, just inside the door of the telephone booth to light the inside of the booth. Then I waited for the approach of sunset and shot from a low camera perspective (laying on the ground - Nikon D90, 18-55 mm kit lens @ 18 mm, f/11, 1/15):

Using strobed light (flash) separated the main subject from the background and pandered to the concept - light advances, dark receeds.

BoothIID907-28-9_020.jpg

I actually do not think the gate scene you are showing us is interesting enough to take a picture of (even converted to B&W).

What exactly is attracting you to this subject?
Think about it ... you might find that it is not the image you captured.

"I just missed Superman!"

I used to walk by an old telephone booth nearly everyday on my way to the post office. One Saturday, as I walked by it yet again, I realized there weren't to many of them left, and decided to photograph it before it disappeared, which it did some 6 months later.

I set up 2 speedlights - one (Nikon SB-800) on a a light stand shooting into a 45" umbrella that was set up to reflect the light onto the phone booth, the other speedlight (SB-600 with a Stofen diffuser on it) was on the ground pointing up, just inside the door of the telephone booth to light the inside of the booth. Then I waited for the approach of sunset and shot from a low camera perspective (laying on the ground - Nikon D90, 18-55 mm kit lens @ 18 mm, f/11, 1/15):

Using strobed light (flash) separated the main subject from the background and pandered to the concept - light advances, dark receeds.

BoothIID907-28-9_020.jpg

Very good! Was it intended for this thread though? ;) Or perhaps I'm missing some subtlties, having considered it....which I suspect you were....one thing I was going to suggest was to see if using off camera flash at twi light might work...

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back