An old tintype I done

star camera company

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
47F1CCB7-B77D-4771-A7F2-7DF86B64F0CB.jpeg
Taken with English Style Daguerreotype Camera, Holmes Booth Haydens Radial Drive Petzval Lens. Quarter Plate. Indoors, artificial lighting. Plate neglected and shopworn for years!

I like the costume and pose in this . It has a very authentic mid-1850s feel

View attachment 197871 Taken with English Style Daguerreotype Camera, Holmes Booth Haydens Radial Drive Petzval Lens. Quarter Plate. Indoors, artificial lighting. Plate neglected and shopworn for years!

Just curious how you processed this? Did you heat Mercury or a different means?

Fascinating! I am in awe at your efforts and ability for creating this authentic image. Really great work. A real treat to view this interesting shot after a long day at work. It’s relaxing, and a reminder that life is still simple, and all this crap we deal with is built on simple foundations, and operates on simple principles.

Cool!! Yeah, I'd be interested in what you did too. Did you say daguerreotypes? that used the dangerous chemicals like mercury, etc.? Or did you use a camera that would've been used for daguerreotypes but did a tintype with it? I have read though that there are people doing them today but I'm not sure how they've adapted the process to be safe.

Do you ever look at the Eastman House museum website? They're going to be doing some online demos/webinars etc. (actually they already had one I think). I'm planning to sign up for some, I like the early photography processes.

I can't add much to the above already stated. Interesting picture and technique.

Beautiful results! I have no issues with a neglected or "shopworn" plate - I've always thought these irregularities bring an added ethereal quality, even whimsy, to these images. Which I view as a plus, you understand. ;)

I hope you get some more! Great job.

Psst! Would you be ok with me moving this to the Alternative Processes forum? Technically, that's what this is, though I appreciate it may get more views here.

Cool effect. Brings back memories.

My brother and I used to do them years ago, (decades actually), but we used a modern liquid emulsion and processes like B & W film in a 4x5 film tank.

Cool effect. Brings back memories.

My brother and I used to do them years ago, (decades actually), but we used a modern liquid emulsion and processes like B & W film in a 4x5 film tank.

And this is why I asked the question about Mercury. I have done the Mercury process (A good friend of mine here in Suzhou does some amazing work with this) and I was particularly interested in the white spots on the OP image. If Mercury, it is a sign that there is water contamination. I have not processed these as you have mentioned and am wondering if you found this same thing happening? I am guessing not.

Be well, one and all,

Mark

It’s a plain ordinary tintype done by the wet plate process. I done about 10 thousand tintypes and Ambrotype over a dozen years as a civil war re-enactment photographer. When I got tired of the road I built cameras for 20 years and taught wetplate to dozens of people.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back