An overlooked delight.

Torus34

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
From time to time you'll find me wandering about with an old 35 mm slung 'bout my neck and my trusty Luna Pro and a coupl'a rolls of B&W film stuffed in my pockets. There's a certain pleasure in working with the gear of the great street photographers. A 35 mm negative can hold an amazing image, 'specially with today's films.

But it's also fun to use even simpler equipment. An inexpensive introduction's the Kodak Brownie Hawkeye.* Made for now-discontinued 620 film, these little wonders can be coaxed into accepting 120 film in several ways. The cameras are available for surprisingly low bids on EBay. And you'll be pleased with the subtle change that takes place when you look at the world from 'belly-button' height.

There's even a fine site on-line which guides you through a simple dis-assembly and clean-up. A roll of ISO100 120 film, a hazy-sun day and you're good to go. It's 'point and shoot' in its low-tech, almost steam punk form. And when the day's done, you'll have decent 2 1/4 sq. negatives which enlarge rather well.

* Seek out the later 'flash' version. The Kodak Duaflex II's another possibility and can include focusing and f-stops.

Most reactions

Back