Kodak Brownie Hawkeye.

Torus34

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of the overlooked examples of a Kodak 'everyman's' camera is the Brownie Hawkeye. These little gems are available at very reasonable prices on EBay. Though they used 620 film, it's not a real problem to adapt 120 film for them. In addition, there's a great 'how to' on line for disassembling and cleaning up a Hawkeye.

The slight softness of the lens can produce delightful images. There are still labs which process 120 B&W film, or the negatives can easily be 'souped' at home and scanned for digitalization. I've one of these puppies, and it provides an opportunity to get away from today's hi-tech world and 'return to the days of yesteryear.'*

* A prize of an 'Atta Boy!' goes to the person(s) who remember the source of the quote. No fair googling it!

Can I search TPF? Because I could swear this was posted here a few weeks ago. There was also an article about the Brownie in...want to say the Wall Street Journal but it might have been in the NY Times.

Wow! I didn't know that the Brownie had made it to the mainstream media. What I find endearing about the little cutie is that the designers, engineers and assemblers produced a camera which still functions well after a goodly part of a century. That's quite an accomplishment. Thanks for taking time to comment. And if you haven't already, think about picking up one of these little gems. Regards.

Wow! I didn't know that the Brownie had made it to the mainstream media. What I find endearing about the little cutie is that the designers, engineers and assemblers produced a camera which still functions well after a goodly part of a century. That's quite an accomplishment. Thanks for taking time to comment. And if you haven't already, think about picking up one of these little gems. Regards.

Got one! In fact, most of my cameras are about 50 years old. :)

I know the source of the quote, but I don't need any more "atta boys" this week, so I'll refrain from answering and give others "Moore" time to think about it. :D

I wouldn't mind having a Hawkeye; might be something I end up adding to the collection. I do have a Kodak Brownie Jr.; it was my grandfather's, and traveled with him in the 40s and 50s, to South America and the Azores, then it become MY first camera back in the late 60s.

Hmm, I wouldn't consider many of the bakelite camera's of the 50's as any good. So many of these types of cameras were produced during that time ... mass produced.
There are many more innovative cameras that produce more delightful images than a Hawkeye and of much older age that are still working today ... I am still trying to get them back in working condition. The oldest one I have is 120+ years old.

True some of the midcentury bakelite cameras weren't exactly the best cameras ever made, but I particularly like the art deco and modern styles. I don't know how I don't have one of these, have other Kodak, Herco, etc.

Ah, my wife has a couple of art deco cameras ... the Kodak Brownie Six-16 and a Jiffy Six-20.

New life for Brownie Howkeye:
Welcome

Stop it! lol you're making me want one! I might have to spend all of maybe 10 bucks or so. Cool link, will have to check that out.

One of the overlooked examples of a Kodak 'everyman's' camera is the Brownie Hawkeye. These little gems are available at very reasonable prices on EBay. Though they used 620 film, it's not a real problem to adapt 120 film for them. In addition, there's a great 'how to' on line for disassembling and cleaning up a Hawkeye.

The slight softness of the lens can produce delightful images. There are still labs which process 120 B&W film, or the negatives can easily be 'souped' at home and scanned for digitalization. I've one of these puppies, and it provides an opportunity to get away from today's hi-tech world and 'return to the days of yesteryear.'*

* A prize of an 'Atta Boy!' goes to the person(s) who remember the source of the quote. No fair googling it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back