An unusual opportunity or waste of time?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I was contacted via Facebook messenger. The woman is the Director of Marketing at X brand lenses. She had seen from one of my posts that I’m in the Boston area. Wants to know if I’m interested in going to the NECCC conference and working at their table helping while some of their brand photographers are going to be conducting classes. I’d be loaning lenses and answering questions.

She offered to pay me for travel, room and meals plus a per hour rate during the conference (not a ton of $ but not bad). I did a quickie online investigation to see if she is who she says she is and seems legit. Doesn’t seem like any potential to turn into anything else but not a bad connection to have...

On the 0ne hand I’ve been wanting to check out one of these conferences but on the other I’d have to use at least 1 vacation day from work. Also would be away from home for 3.5 days. Weekends in the summer are a precious thing in New England and not sure if this is worth giving one up.

Thoughts? Leaning towards yes since I don’t have anything specific planned for that weekend..

Will you get to attend the classes? Maybe negotiate free gear too.

Will you get to attend the classes? Maybe negotiate free gear too.

Based on the hours she indicated I’d be at the table, it doesn’t look like I’ll be able to attend any classes.

That actually sounds like something they could go down to a temp agency and fill...

I was wondering the same thing as Cheryl, if you could attend any workshops, etc. If not I don't think I'd want to go to something like this and miss out on everything while spending 3 days at their booth in the vendor/trade show all day.

Do you belong to one of the local camera clubs? Just wondering since members usually get discounts at conventions, etc.

When I'd go to education conferences I'd usually run into people I knew from somewhere. Went to a quilting one a couple of hours drive just for the day and mostly looked at exhibitions, etc. Didn't know anybody but plenty of shopping etc. to make it a fun day of it!

Today I was contacted via Facebook messenger. The woman is the Director of Marketing at X brand lenses. She had seen from one of my posts that I’m in the Boston area. Wants to know if I’m interested in going to the NECCC conference and working at their table helping while some of their brand photographers are going to be conducting classes. I’d be loaning lenses and answering questions.

She offered to pay me for travel, room and meals plus a per hour rate during the conference (not a ton of $ but not bad). I did a quickie online investigation to see if she is who she says she is and seems legit. Doesn’t seem like any potential to turn into anything else but not a bad connection to have...

On the 0ne hand I’ve been wanting to check out one of these conferences but on the other I’d have to use at least 1 vacation day from work. Also would be away from home for 3.5 days. Weekends in the summer are a precious thing in New England and not sure if this is worth giving one up.

Thoughts? Leaning towards yes since I don’t have anything specific planned for that weekend..

Sounds kind of fun. I vote, "yes".

An unusual opportunity---yes, agreed.

If you are a people person it could be a goldmine of a networking oppertunity, probably not something you'll immediately see benefits of but something that could be a way to get you know a lot of people on the scene quickly.

If you're just aiming to improve your photography and/or you are not a people person, not to concered with the industry I'd think about giving it a miss.

Saying that, you're getting your costs covered so it doesn't seem like they are wanting the "volenteer" role usually offered and I think you must have really impressed her to make an offer to cover your costs off the bat.

Ultimatley I'd go for it, even though I'm not a people person. You never know what might come of a chance connection. I've had unrelated stuff come up years after I thought they were a total waste of time and it's opened a few doors. After all, in 5 years time do you really want to be wondering "what if I took that chance?".

I don't know about that, it's in a month and they're still looking for somebody to work their booth, in my experience that's cutting it kind of close.

Depends on how many hours you'd have to work. If I'm going out of town to a thing, I'd want to see stuff at the thing! Of course you'd get meals and a room, is this college food in a dorm or a hotel? I went to a thing years ago where we stayed in a dorm and those bunk beds weren't very comfy! not as fun as when you're 18-21!

That actually sounds like something they could go down to a temp agency and fill...

I think they want someone who uses their products and is enthusiastic about them.

Sounds kind of fun. I vote, "yes".

An unusual opportunity---yes, agreed.

Thanks for your advice.

If you are a people person it could be a goldmine of a networking oppertunity, probably not something you'll immediately see benefits of but something that could be a way to get you know a lot of people on the scene quickly.

If you're just aiming to improve your photography and/or you are not a people person, not to concered with the industry I'd think about giving it a miss.

Saying that, you're getting your costs covered so it doesn't seem like they are wanting the "volenteer" role usually offered and I think you must have really impressed her to make an offer to cover your costs off the bat.

Ultimatley I'd go for it, even though I'm not a people person. You never know what might come of a chance connection. I've had unrelated stuff come up years after I thought they were a total waste of time and it's opened a few doors. After all, in 5 years time do you really want to be wondering "what if I took that chance?".

I’m definitely a people person but not a pro photographer and not looking to be one one so not sure about the networking benefit. I’m not sure why she contacted me other than geography.

I don't know about that, it's in a month and they're still looking for somebody to work their booth, in my experience that's cutting it kind of close.

Depends on how many hours you'd have to work. If I'm going out of town to a thing, I'd want to see stuff at the thing! Of course you'd get meals and a room, is this college food in a dorm or a hotel? I went to a thing years ago where we stayed in a dorm and those bunk beds weren't very comfy! not as fun as when you're 18-21!

It’s at UMass Amherst so yes assumingvthe accommodations are dorms and meals are in the cafe which is in the top 5 ranking of college cafes according to my young cousin who goes there.

I’m going to think about it over the weekend. There is one photographer who’s going to be there who is associated with this brand who I would love to meet.

Geography and running out of time/having trouble finding somebody?? you got lucky?? Good college food, who knew? that sounds good! bunk beds, not so much, but maybe they have something better.

(U Mass Lowell I'm familiar with because of - hockey of course, so if they paid me, fed me, and let me go to a practice/scrimmage, I'd be in! in my dreams...) I know I'm OT...

It sounds like a potentially good opportunity; if you don't have anything else better going on, I'd go for it.

In my experience of over 40 years attending trade shows, I'd go for it. Make sure you take some business cards so you can exchange them with contacts. As was mentioned before, you don't want to pass on this opportunity then wonder" what might have been"!

If you're not in business though I don't see any advantage. Even if you were, you're on this company's time and on their dime and they may expect people being paid to work their booth to promote the company, not themselves.

Depends I guess if you have nothing else going on it might be fun, I've worked booths that were charity/nonprofit but usually it was done in shifts and I still had time to walk around and enjoy the event (and maybe take pictures!).

I was wondering is it likely the photographer associated with this brand would be at the booth? Maybe the person would stop by to pick up a lens but then again maybe he/she wouldn't come near the booth all weekend. I suppose it could go either way. If you go, hope you have fun.

Guessing this is for the Lensbaby folks...

I'm an old guy and IMHO every opportunity that comes along is something that should be undertaken.
Just make sure you wear a name tag with your name clear on it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back